PDA

View Full Version : BMax2 squealing on set-off - presume this is slipper clutch?

Ashlandchris
10-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Have recently bought a 2nd hand BMax2 which I have tried for the first time today. Drives lovely, but squeals a little when going from a standing start. I presume that is the slipper clutch and it just needs tightening a little or should it be stripped and the plates sanded?

I am pretty new to this and haven't had to deal with a slipper before

Many thanks for your anticipated replies

Big G
10-06-2014, 02:47 PM
the slipper doesn't tend to make weird noises and omits a very familiar slip noise.

The diff on the other hand can make a horrible squeal when it's slipping and the slipper clutch isn't doing it's job.

That is assuming you have a ball diff and not a geared diff in there.

AfroP
10-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Rule of thumb when buying any car second hand

strip and rebuild as soon as you get it

this way you can address any issues and see any internal working parts that may be faulty

Danny Harrison
10-06-2014, 03:49 PM
As above, likely the diff. Id replace the balls n plates even if it wasnt squeeling with it being used.

Wont do any harm sanding the slipper pad too but not the plates:lol:

neallewis
10-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Assuming it has a ball diff of course. later kits came with a gear diff. Which do you have?

If your slipper is too tight and/or the (ball) diff too loose, then you get a barking sound on acceleration and punching the throttle.

The slipper doesn't tend to make a squealing noise, but you can hear its slipping if its loose enough.

Metal idlers can be quite noisy/whiny, but again not a squeal.

Ashlandchris
10-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Many thanks all. Had the gearbox apart and the gear diff and all internals seem fine.
Think I have found the culprit however, it looks like the spur gear is stripped so I obviously didn't set the motor right.
I will sand the slipper pads when I replace the spur - looks like No.5 have them in stock

Just been doing an internet search and notice that the spur gear is part no. B2 SG80 (80tooth) and seems to be approx. £4.50, but very few in stock anywhere. I also note that every other tooth option (B2 SG81, SG84, SG87 etc) seem to have plenty of stock, but are approx. £9.00 each. Funny that...

Ashlandchris
10-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Just as another question, is the yoke slipper usually pretty resilient (obviously not withstanding and idiot stripping them...) or should I look to upgrade to the avid triad slipper?

discothesnake
10-06-2014, 09:41 PM
I had issues with the Yok slipper at first and fitted the triad slipper and it worked a treat. At first. I obviously did not shim it properly and it gave up and melted.

Since I got the worlds car the standard slipper is much better. Not sure if they've improved the spring or the pads etc but it works fine.

neallewis
10-06-2014, 10:04 PM
nothing wrong with the standard slipper, although my spur gear was tight on the layshaft when first built, so wasn't slipping enough. once worn in a bit they work perfectly. its easy to set right, keep consistent and no maintenance is really required other than keeping clean.

the avid slipper was always a bit of a hackup to make it fit, and wasn't so straightforward so i gave it a miss.
The new schelle version that's coming is meant to be a dedicated fit, so i may give that a try?

Ashlandchris
10-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Thanks Neil / DTS.
Hoping that sun may show it's face this weekend as I am able to come and play at Batley so hope to have bmax running for then. Will pick up new spur from Mike at no5 tomorrow

neallewis
11-06-2014, 12:43 AM
Thanks Neil. Hoping that sun may show it's face this weekend as I am able to come and play at Batley so hope to have bmax running for then. Will pick up new spur from Mike at no5 tomorrow

Cool, hope to see you running at Batley on Sunday.

Gunthar Guntharsėn
11-06-2014, 12:34 PM
You can use Associated spur gears also on the bmax (in case they're cheaper).

Ashlandchris
11-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks Gunther, I was havIng trouble trying to get a Yoke spur and MB models advised me the same this afternoon. I had a look in my bits and pieces and had an 81t spur which has gone in and has sorted the problem. Thank you for the advice as I didn't know until then that the associated slipper spur gear is a direct replacement for the yokomo bmax2 one