PDA

View Full Version : How to setup B4 with LiPo

Cameo
28-10-2008, 02:54 AM
Hi there, I'm interested to hear what people are doing to their cars when running LiPo's?
1. Suspension
2. Weight
3. Other

Jamie B4
28-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Not sure if it is worth messing around with lipos in a b44 yet cos I understand that saddle lipos will not be legal for the nationals so until they are the top guys might not bother

mark christopher
28-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Not sure if it is worth messing around with lipos in a b44 yet cos I understand that saddle lipos will not be legal for the nationals so until they are the top guys might not bother
so read his post again he is asking about a B4 not a B44

Jamie B4
28-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Do appologise that's what happens when you're boss is around

c0sie
28-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Myself and afew friends at our local switched from NiMh's to LiPo's and strangely enough the general feeling is that running LiPo's without the extra weight makes the car handle/feel better than when running LiPo with the extra weight.

This presumes that you are already running the 'lead behind the bulkhead', but otherwise we are running no extra weight and find the car very much planted.

Prehaps its something to do with reducing the 'penduleum' effect? Dunno..but it sounds fancy :)

Or...do what I did and buy an S2 :) lol

Belsten
28-10-2008, 11:11 AM
I run with the set up in this thread

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15133

but run around 100 grams with lipo plus the extra weight in the bulkhead

c0sie
28-10-2008, 11:26 AM
And hes a lot better than me, so listen to him :)

Belsten
28-10-2008, 11:58 AM
And hes a lot better than me, so listen to him :)

:blush: shucks

c0sie
28-10-2008, 12:28 PM
sucks?

No, you dont suck..you just got wh00p-arsed by a limping fatty last Friday lol

Cameo
22-12-2008, 04:59 AM
So it's been a while now. Anything new people are doing now.
Most people I talk to just add weight to get it back to 4200NiMh weight.

Spoolio
22-12-2008, 06:47 AM
1mm thick lead plate that matches the length and width of my Trakpower 4900, battery on top all topped off with a shortened battery strap (cos it doesn't slide under the rear bulkhead now). Car has no other lead on it and the suspension is left alone. It's mint now. Pre-lead it just felt way too light, like it was going to float off the track or something.

mattym0310
22-12-2008, 10:30 AM
all I have done is added 25g lead behind the battery and this seems to work very well with my 4900mAh lipo

Richard Lowe
22-12-2008, 11:10 AM
I have a 1mm lead plate under a Trakpower 3600 and the Tristbits brass antisquat block in my B4, setups are the same as nimh.

I tried to get it working without extra weight, it does handle better but you go everywhere on your rear wheels!

DaveG28
11-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Does the TP3200 saddle fit in a B4?

Mike Hudson
11-01-2009, 04:00 PM
yes it's a direct fit

Steven Forster
28-05-2011, 11:48 AM
I have a 1mm lead plate under a Trakpower 3600 and the Tristbits brass antisquat block in my B4, setups are the same as nimh.

I tried to get it working without extra weight, it does handle better but you go everywhere on your rear wheels!

Thats the sounds like the problem ive been having running LiPos and brushless, on an indoor polished floor (gym/hall) my B4 just keeps wheel spinning and dough nutting all the time, its very hard to accelerate without spinning out all the time even in a straight line, so i went back to using a brushed motor and Nimh batteries and it made all the difference to handling cos i could put the power down without spinning out.................My LiPos ar a tight fit under the battery strap so think the only way i could put a lead plate under the LiPo would be to file a bit of the bottom of the shock tower to make it fit !!!

What other weights/parts would you all suggest so i can use my brushless, LiPo setup ??? :confused::confused::confused:

cheers

chickentikka25
09-06-2011, 11:27 PM
@Dexter - I've got a 66g Rudebits brass weight under my lipo, but had to
raise the screws to fit the battery bar in for my bigger lipo's.

Get some car wheel weights and get at least 10g each side on the rear of the chassis using the small 5g weights, in the section behind the speedo and receiver. Also, you can put some along the battery bar, not brilliant, but I see it a lot and it works.

I've got around 130g on the car at the rear, plus a ghea brass bulkhead which stops it wheelieing. My son has some of the 5g weights around the servo too.

Oh, and don't just look at weight (although that will help immensely), experiment with slipper settings and shock setups...squat settings can really help, as can wheelbase.

Steven Forster
10-06-2011, 10:17 PM
@Dexter - I've got a 66g Rudebits brass weight under my lipo, but had to
raise the screws to fit the battery bar in for my bigger lipo's.

Get some car wheel weights and get at least 10g each side on the rear of the chassis using the small 5g weights, in the section behind the speedo and receiver. Also, you can put some along the battery bar, not brilliant, but I see it a lot and it works.

I've got around 130g on the car at the rear, plus a ghea brass bulkhead which stops it wheelieing. My son has some of the 5g weights around the servo too.

Oh, and don't just look at weight (although that will help immensely), experiment with slipper settings and shock setups...squat settings can really help, as can wheelbase.

Thanks for the reply,

I have 10 grams on the front top plate and either a 36 or 72g under servo weight (rudebits), on the scales it was showing 1603 grams using LiPos !!!

I was still getting loads of wheel spinning o to try adding weight to help cut down the wheelspinning and get more grip so isve modded my rear chassis brace and have added 20 grams to it, also added 20 grams on the rear arm mount (5 grams on the front of it and 15 grams between the back of the rear arm mount and gear box !!!

Im using a 60 gram rudebits battery strap aswell which B4 is now around 1700 grams and still finding it frustarting to drive............

Theres only been once where ive ran B4 in a sports hall where ive actually had a fair amount of grip and not so much wheelspin when running a 17x2 or 17x4 brushed motor and running Nimh batteries !!!

Im new to racing and setups so dont know which way to go about setting my B4 up properly or for my driving style :confused::confused::confused:

sosidge
11-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Bear in mind that weight on the front bulkhead and around the servo will move the weight distribution forward and make traction relatively worse. Weight under the LiPo also moves the weight distribution forward (although not by very much, mostly it just increases the overall weight). Weight in the rear chassis triangles moves the weight back but also not by very much. The best place to put weight to gain traction is in the void behind the battery and in front of the gearbox.

Ballast is only a small part of getting the car to work. Building the car well is the most important thing, followed by the right tyres. A B4 built to kit settings should be very close to working anywhere with just a change of springs and correct slipper clutch settings.