PDA

View Full Version : TORN BETWEEN TWO BUGGYS

newberyclan
07-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Hi could anyone help me choose between the k1 aero and the xb4 any idea's and why thanks.

OneKiwi
07-08-2014, 07:43 PM
The one thats mostly driven at your local club, if there are roughly equal amounts pick the one with close parts then the one that you like the best. Go gut feeling

dibble34
07-08-2014, 07:49 PM
I would say it depends what kind of driver you are. I suspect the k1 may be slightly quicker in the right hands, however at club level I have seen a lot of people improve the most with the xb4. I actually sold the k1 (possibly in haste) to get the xb4 but I have no regrets. It requires no hop up parts and works well out of the box. It is really well made and the plastics are excellent. I feel it has helped me develop as a driver. Hope that helps!

shaun m
07-08-2014, 08:38 PM
I'm going to throw a spanner in the works now !! i had ran schumacher when i started 1/10th off road 3yrs ago , had the sx2 ,sx3 and loved em bought a k1 when they first came out and like dave ( dibble34 :thumbsup: ) did'nt get on with it , and sold it after a week! , regret selling it now !!

bought an durango 410 and improved with it , got an xb4 ( as most of the others at the club did too ) had it for almost a year and improved a bit more with that , got a bit bored with the IMO blandness of the xb4 , and bought a 2nd had k1 off here about 4 months ago and feel like i've improved even more with the k1 , i'm loving it :thumbsup:!! , just wished i hadn't sold my first one !!:blush::lol:

Lee1972
07-08-2014, 10:34 PM
I run an XB4 and they're solid cars and can take some big hits, good quality materials but not the cheapest. A lot of my racing friends have K1's and they don't seem to be as robust as an Xray.

shaun m
08-08-2014, 07:23 AM
I run an XB4 and they're solid cars and can take some big hits, good quality materials but not the cheapest. A lot of my racing friends have K1's and they don't seem to be as robust as an Xray.

Yeah maybe not as robust , but saying that ive not broken much on the k1 , one shock shaft ( someone stopped infront as i was about to lap them ) , one wishbone and recently broke a top deck ..

but saying that , broke 2 bulkheads on the xray , couple of rod ends , but it cost more in worn outdrives and cvd's ..

dpackster1980
16-08-2014, 07:02 PM
The only issue with the K1 is it comes with gear diffs and the team lads put ball diffs in them because they don't like the gear diffs. Whether it's in the K1 or SV2 (same design) the ball diffs don't last long . One lad runs a ball diff in the front and gear in the rear mainly because the ball diff doesn't last. If you go to the line and it slips it's not a 2 second job to nip it up. If you stick with the gear diffs then it'll be fine.

The other thing you need is front alloy gearbox tops if you don't run the shock tower savers the tower digs in and snaps the top.

I borrowed a lads for Worksop, it felt good though and I was flying with it but it wasn't enough to make me buy one considering the amount of extras on it.

The XB4 seems like a solid car and look like they go well as I haven't driven one I can't comment but they're expensive for spares (they don't sell wishbones in pairs).

What about Yokomo? It's a cracking piece of kit and doesn't need money thrown at it out of the box. The only thing that you need extra is shock pistons and the HD rear roll bar kit. They're easy to drive and you go round thinking like you've had a poor run because it felt like you were driving like Miss Daisy until you check the times.

Adam F
16-08-2014, 07:34 PM
I sold my Xray to buy a K1 Aero... find it quite amusing that everyone talks about the X-ray being bullet proof... Personally I broke two front bulkheads really quickly on mine but haven't broken anything on the K1!!!

Depending what surface I am on, normally I stick with the gear diffs, the ball diffs are a nice option to have and not stupidly expensive either, mine have lasted well and I can use them in my KF if needed.. I don't think all the team use balls? When I spoke to Tom last he was on gear diffs and his last couple of setup sheets reflect this??

Mine had no upgrades at all, I have added bits more because I like a bit of bling than anything else... and there is no shortage of that if you want it, but not really necessary from my experiences..

Ultimately they are both great cars, I don't regret selling my X-ray at all and am more than happy with the K1, so would recommend it to you..

mark christopher
16-08-2014, 08:24 PM
The only issue with the K1 is it comes with gear diffs and the team lads put ball diffs in them because they don't like the gear diffs. Whether it's in the K1 or SV2 (same design) the ball diffs don't last long . One lad runs a ball diff in the front and gear in the rear mainly because the ball diff doesn't last. If you go to the line and it slips it's not a 2 second job to nip it up. If you stick with the gear diffs then it'll be fine.

The other thing you need is front alloy gearbox tops if you don't run the shock tower savers the tower digs in and snaps the top.

I borrowed a lads for Worksop, it felt good though and I was flying with it but it wasn't enough to make me buy one considering the amount of extras on it.

The XB4 seems like a solid car and look like they go well as I haven't driven one I can't comment but they're expensive for spares (they don't sell wishbones in pairs).

What about Yokomo? It's a cracking piece of kit and doesn't need money thrown at it out of the box. The only thing that you need extra is shock pistons and the HD rear roll bar kit. They're easy to drive and you go round thinking like you've had a poor run because it felt like you were driving like Miss Daisy until you check the times.

News to me most of the team run gear diffs, in the aero, the plastic tops do break if your unlucky and they are xheaper than a shock tower. You say xray don't sell arms seperatly, same for schumacher....as for not lasting long the ball riffs, if you build em correctly they last for ages, my k1 and sv2 did all of last years wrksop meeting without one rebuild.and not even touched. I have fun all the Oople series and invernational on gear diffs, the fact you have ball riffs if you need them is a plus to me.

dpackster1980
16-08-2014, 08:49 PM
News to me most of the team run gear diffs, in the aero, the plastic tops do break if your unlucky and they are xheaper than a shock tower. You say xray don't sell arms seperatly, same for schumacher....as for not lasting long the ball riffs, if you build em correctly they last for ages, my k1 and sv2 did all of last years wrksop meeting without one rebuild.and not even touched. I have fun all the Oople series and invernational on gear diffs, the fact you have ball riffs if you need them is a plus to me.

The lads at our club don't run gear diffs, they don't like them. Some have fitted MIP puck system so it's like a conventional diff. I didn't say all the team run ball diffs, just the lads at our club. I'm not bashing the car, driven it, went well and that's it. It wouldn't be my choice end of story!

The best way to choose a car is ask for a drive of each car and base you're judgement on that. Forums are people's opinions and should be taken as so but each car suits a different person so if someone says a certain car is great but they may have a different driving style to yours.

mark christopher
16-08-2014, 08:56 PM
The lads at our club don't run gear diffs, they don't like them. Some have fitted MIP puck system so it's like a conventional diff. I didn't say all the team run ball diffs, just the lads at our club. I'm not bashing the car, driven it, went well and that's it. It wouldn't be my choice end of story!

The best way to choose a car is ask for a drive of each car and base you're judgement on that. Forums are people's opinions and should be taken as so but each car suits a different person so if someone says a certain car is great but they may have a different driving style to yours.

Nope your post defiantly states "the team lads" implying them all with no mention of them being at your club only.

Lee1972
16-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Yeah maybe not as robust , but saying that ive not broken much on the k1 , one shock shaft ( someone stopped infront as i was about to lap them ) , one wishbone and recently broke a top deck ..

but saying that , broke 2 bulkheads on the xray , couple of rod ends , but it cost more in worn outdrives and cvd's ..

I guess we'll call this one a draw :lol:

shaun m
16-08-2014, 09:35 PM
I guess we'll call this one a draw :lol:
yeah maybe , the k1 is definately cheaper to run too , but call it a draw :)
i know which one i'm sticking to thou :woot:

chrispattinson
02-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Does buying British not hold any sway in the argument? Aswell as locally available spares from the UK manufacturer, with help and advice from an established UK team of drivers and engineers, and investing in high quality British products.

I'm just wondering how loyal we are to supporting our home economy, whether it be model cars, full size cars, produce or anything products / services related???