PDA

View Full Version : Our New Rostrum

Dalla
05-11-2008, 10:33 PM
For all those of you that wondered how all those bits of metal were going to go together to make our new rostrum.

Still got to sort boards and steps, but should be OK for Feb.

Any comments?

rcracer
05-11-2008, 10:43 PM
what kind of price did it cost if you dont mind me asking

Dalla
06-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi Neil,
No final figure, but the uprights and the 8ft spars are from industrial shelf/racking units and were kindly donated by my employer. As I said we have to sort some boards and steps, for which I am budgeting a maximum £200.

I had a couple of options for the boards one of which was 18mm ply and 3"x2" joists and the other was 38mm chipboard. Front to back would be about 3' and for storage and transport the width would be 4', so I would need 6 off.

Any one have opinions on the relative strengths?

turbo_brick
08-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Kick board across the front incase anyone looses their footing (seen it happen several times)

(mrs turbo_brick)

N7ELA
08-11-2008, 08:27 PM
200 quid Ian..? We gonna start running 50 car heats...? 200 quid will buy alot of wood which is currently at a good price. I would expect more in the region of 50 -60 to do all that racking...

Dalla
14-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Right... is any one prepared to or does anyone know anyone who will do some welding for nothing?

I have the extra brackets for rostrum cross members, which I will cut to size, but they then need welded up. This should mean we only need 3 sheets of 18mm Ply, £50?

Still need to sort the steps though.

N7ELA
14-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Ian i can sort the welding out... Just let me know when and we'll get it organised...

Dalla
15-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Neil, that's great. I'll cut one or two for Tuesday so that you can have a look at the job, then we'll sort out the rest later.

N7ELA
15-11-2008, 11:33 AM
No worries... Am sure we can knock some steps up an all....

N7ELA
19-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Ian ave got me welder stood by and ive got a couple of ideas about the steps. Im waiting for a price to make them out of scaffolding poles, clamps and wood bases, (including hand rails) however im thinking it will be around £150... :o:o:o:o

But I have also another idea to make it out of steel box section in welded sections that will bolt together and flat pack for better storage. This is looking more like £30 quid as long as my contact at the steel place obliges...

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

chris68nufc
19-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Go on Neilo. My uncles brother in law has his own metal fabrication business and im sure he could help us out but we will defo have to pay. Credit crunch and all of that!

turbo_brick
19-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Ian ave got me welder stood by and ive got a couple of ideas about the steps. Im waiting for a price to make them out of scaffolding poles, clamps and wood bases, (including hand rails) however im thinking it will be around £150... :o:o:o:o

But I have also another idea to make it out of steel box section in welded sections that will bolt together and flat pack for better storage. This is looking more like £30 quid as long as my contact at the steel place obliges...

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've got a set of designs to make a set out of box section which will then bolt together. If you want them let me know and I'll dig them out.

chris68nufc
19-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Why did you bury them? That was a strange thing to do. Saying that, my Grandad used to bury his money during the war. Just going to get my shovel now.

N7ELA
19-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Cheers pete but 12 and a half hour shifts at work are nee fun so autocad comes in handy when your skiving in between ridge racer tracks...

Got all the sizes off Ian last night and they're already in digital 3D. got the welder and the time, just need the free steel from me fab man....

Chris tell ya uncle You'll rewire his house, work and car for free then he'll sort us out...........

:thumbsup:

dayxwalker
22-12-2008, 06:36 PM
I might be able to help with the design as I am a design engineer I use 3d cad at work all the time (pro-engineer). Let me know if you need help designing it !

N7ELA
22-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Cheers Tim but its all sorted now...