PDA

View Full Version : Complete Newbie advice for 1/10 scale off road buggy

howard m
05-10-2014, 11:32 AM
I know this question will have been asked thousands of times before but these are my questions. For a complete beginner should I go for 2WD or 4WD. Which radio is easiest to start with sticks or wheel. I have used sticks before but think wheel could be better. I notice that by some kits they say skill level 3 or 4 or 5 does this mean build skill or driving skill. I'm sure there are many more questions I'll need to ask later. I live in Mid Wales and cannot go to my nearest club (to get advice) for a couple of weeks due to other commitments. Many thanks

Peakey
05-10-2014, 12:49 PM
First off welcome to oople

So to start with 2 or 4wd I think will be down to personal preference I'm a 4wd man always have been don't know why just never raced a 2wd. If there's something you have got your eye on then do your research see if spares are readily available and I you are a total beginner cheep.

You will be best to set a budget cus if you go out and spend a fortune and then either don't have time or don't like it then you've not lost a lot.

Again sticks or wheels are down to preference if you think you will prefer a wheels then you can start off with a cheep one to see.

mr. ed
05-10-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm a stick man myself, but I'd advise you to try wheel.
As a beginner you can still choose: you're not to deep locked into what you're used to. If you decide later to go for a better radio you'll find many more options at good prices for wheel radios than for stick.

4wd vs 2wd.
Depends on what you want to do. 4wd is only raced by clubs in modified class, 2WD is raced in stock class too. So for racing 2wd is a cheaper way in. On the other hand; there's much more choice in the 4WD truck market for better prices if you're looking for a basher type car.

All these are generalist statements and the reality can be the exact opposite. A lot depends on you: how do you handle your competition spirit and wallet, what's your budget for the hobby, aspiration...

wookieewonder
05-10-2014, 01:36 PM
If I had to start again I would go 2wd buggy because it's cheaper and very popular at club level at the moment. Also less mantence and less to go wrong! The ready to run kits are really good too. A team Durango dex210 rtr or a losi 22 rtr are both exelent and very strong cars. All you will need then are a Lipo charger and 2s Lipo in a hard case (get a shorty) size, set of tyres and you're more or less ready to race.:thumbsup:

howard m
06-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Many thanks I'm hoping to go to Oswestry 16/9/14 can't wait

mattr
06-10-2014, 12:01 PM
TBH, one of the current gen of mid/rear motor 2wd buggies will be near as dammit as quick as a 4wd on most courses. Especially astro.
210, 22-2 and so on.
Getting the rtr version and 30 quid worth of bits (for upgrades and conversion) won't break the bank either.
Might be worth posting on the oswestry section of oople to see what's most common. Very useful for set up advice and parts too!

howard m
06-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Thanks Matt have already PM a member and await a reply I'm thinking along the 210v2 model