PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Durango 210 RTR or more pricey 210v2 - beginner needs advice please

NewburyNewbie
08-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Hi all.

I'm a complete newcomer to 1/10th scale of road. (Done a little mardave gt12 before).

I plan to race on astro / grass at a club and bash around local car park etc.

The durango210 buggy RTR complete with radio/ESC/motor etc is a great price.
But, the v2 advertising suggests it is much better (of course) and costs quite a bit more.

Would the v1 be a false economy, should I go v2?
If yes, what advice can be offered re receiver/ESC/motor etc. Nb I do have an etronix 2.4 stick controller from my mardave to use, havnt tried a wheel controller though so might consider it.

Thanks for your thoughts, would appreciate it if we didn't drift into alternatives discussion too much, thanks!

Origineelreclamebord
08-10-2014, 04:59 PM
What made your interest focus on the DEX210? I'm not saying it's a bad car, in fact the design is good, but spares are not cheap and there have been parts batches with sub-standard material quality/durability...

If you decide to go DEX210, I'd get a second hand one - there's usually a good bunch of tuning parts on there that put it near or at the V2 spec for a fraction of the price. If you like the car you can then buy another one in better condition (or new) so you can use the other for spares (which takes care of the spares problem) :)

As for the DEX210 RTR, it's an o-k deal, but it uses a first version tub chassis (which is prone to breakage), has no parts for Mid-motor and the motor is, well... boringly slow :lol: You're better off getting a HobbyKing X-car ESC (100A or 120A) and a 6.5-8.5T motor to start off.

As for other cars: Look at the B5M, BMAX2MR, VBC Firebolt and Schumacher KF as well.

NewburyNewbie
08-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Thanks origin..

Interested in it because for the price it gets good reviews and various others have suggested for my options its a good starter.
But yes I have read about the v2 and pretty much was thinking it sounds quite an improvement from the first.

I've figured out the transmitter and receiver from my Mardave will transfer so I just need ESC & motor combo. OK so the speed passion might not be best? I'll check out the brand you suggested but looking at 13.5 or 10.5 I think to match other club members.

Appreciate your thoughts.

butty1978
08-10-2014, 07:05 PM
I have recently got back in to racing with the 210 rtr ans can not praise it enough I have had nothing break andmits had some hammer, the speedo can take a 10.5 motor so it might work out cheaper to get the rtr till your level reaches ultra competitiveness

Origineelreclamebord
08-10-2014, 07:09 PM
The second hand price of the DEX210 is near unbeatable I will admit :)

However, if you would go down the route of a NIB kit I would look what's being run locally, it really helps if you can exchange setup advice or spare parts. You don't need a lot of people running them, just be sure there is at least one experienced driver running a dialed version of the car. My first race car was a TRF201, and I never got it to run well simply because I lacked experience and a good setup database to compensate for that.

Re- the motors... The HobbyKing ones are quite mild for their winding... They drive as if they have 1-2 more turns in them, so the motors aren't as hot as they sound - they're solid little cans though :)

Haldenby81
09-10-2014, 01:06 AM
The rtr dose come with parts to change it to mid motor the only parts it don't come with just like the v2 kit is the parts to make if into 4gear :-/ as for breaking well mines been bit by a 8th scale nitro n guess what came off worse? My 210 just brushed it off and laughed! Iv hit curbs walls n fences n still not broke it, and as for the speed passion motor been pants it's great to get into the 2wheel n u can always gear it a bit more for a bit more speed! I do agree tho some of the parts are Hardish to get hold of n some are expensive, but the ones you'll proberly need are cheap ... Iv even kept hold of my rtr for indoor racing so I don't gotta keep setting my car up each time I go and use my v2 for out doors �� and for set ups there are loads on the durango site that are great iv tryed a cpl of Craig collinsons out n wow

NewburyNewbie
09-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks all, nice to get a few views!

Still pondering !

Stickygeko
13-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Hi OP

I disgree with the comment about parts being hard to get hold of or are expensive.

as for the rtr I bought my son one in June and he's been racing it since. hes had some right smashes and broke nothing, I blew his esc up linking it to a motor that was to high turn for it but that was my fault and the rtr stock motor is plenty fast enough to get into it.

I bought a 2nd hand one for 75 off ebay with a tonne of parts and wheels, if you have a stick already that's great, grab a motor and esc and your away. I got a speed passion reventon R for 70 quid, so for the price of the rtr you could be up and running with a better set up... search youtube for stickygeko you'll see my lad racing and smashing lol. In the laSt final I raced 5 out of 7 cars in the c final were 210s, the v is better but you can make the v1 to a v2 with a few bits n bats.

In all its a great starter car and built really well. I'm a nob bur learning fast

davidmog99
13-10-2014, 08:10 PM
If you are thinking of the rtr, avoid at all costs, many have faulty speed controls/servos. There are a few threads about it here and on rc tech.
I'm still waiting for replacements from durango after 11 months.
Customer service truly sh*t.

mattr
14-10-2014, 06:03 AM
Depending on your source for spares (US/Eu/UK) there is little price difference to any other major brand (AE/Schumacher/Losi/etc). Availability has been patchy, but with a (very) little googling i've always found what i needed. I've not noticed dodgy batches either TBH!

Saying that "many" of them have faulty ESCs and servos is overstating it a bit, a few have had electronics problems (the Tx/Rx has caused some issues in the past as well), on the whole they have been sorted very quickly. (I even got a cheap roller out of it after a well known retailer stripped some electronics out of it to keep another customer happy!).
I am confused as to why you were even dealing with Durango, faulty kit is almost always the responsibility of the retailer. Not the manufacturer. So get a replacement from your shop. EDIT: just found the original thread. That certainly got mucked up.

Can only do MM3 with the RTR, but for about 12-15 quid you can get all the gears, shafts, bearings and bolts to do MM4, which is the one you will want for astro.

But, what Origineelreclamebord says is key, get a car that everyone else runs locally. You'll have better support at races (people will know how to set them up, and will be able to loan you parts if you break stuff). You'll probably find that your LHS will carry stock of spares and hop ups for popular local cars as well. They might even be trackside on occasion!

NewburyNewbie
14-10-2014, 03:11 PM
sticky gecko and mattr

thanks for your input too.

I was thinking of going v2, but having totted up the increased cost of motor, ESC, tyres, inserts, servo, paint etc, it's coming up to nearly 3 times the rtr price. Thats without even pricing in radio gear as I have that already!
I know the new v2 has many improvements but the rtr is looking darn good beginner value.
I'm starting to think for my likely ability level that the v2 wont make much odds!
I might just go rtr with a savox servo and new wheels n tyres plus a new shell to custom paint.
I know that long term to buy all the upgrades to make it more like the v2 means the rtr is false economy, but for where I'm at perhaps thats irrelevant until my skills have been honed a bit.

anyway, thanks all.

DynaMight
14-10-2014, 05:20 PM
I got the DEX210 RTR. Mainly because this time last year they were mega cheap (£145!) and I'm glad I did because I didnt have a huge amount of cash spare, so allowed me to race then add better stuff later on.

So I started out with the basic RTR, which did a great job then I slowly upgraded the electrics. I didnt really need much better when I first started but I did upgrade the motor (the stock ESC has a 9.5t limit motor) although I could had probably got more speed by upgrading the ESC first then adding some boost/turbo.

I sold the RTR electrics for fairly good cash which allowed the upgrades. if you got all the cash now, then V2 plus good electrics is the way forward, if you haven't got lots of cash spare then RTR is a good start, then upgrade as and when required.

Si Coe
14-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Actually upgrading an RTR to almost V2 spec can be done pretty cheaply indeed - provided you stick with the plastic chassis.
You'd be right that normally its not the case but with the RTR so insanely cheap you are basically talking about a new RTR chassis for the same price as a used V1 if you discount the cost of the electrics.

The 210 is a great starter car - I think that forward motor 4wd based cars like the TM2 or KF are ultimately better on UK tracks than conventional 2wd like the 210 but they aren't beginner friendly.
Get a 210 RTR, run it pretty much stock and then flog it for a TM2 and some better electrics later.

Oh and spares shortages? Rubbish! Never had a Durango (210, 410 or my 210/410 hybrid) sit on the sidelines due to lack of spares. I might have to check a couple of different shops but I can always find the part.

NewburyNewbie
26-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Hi.

Just an update... I went for the v2 kit in the end :-)

I'm currently mid build and its going well.

Thanks again for all your inputs.

Ian

Haldenby81
26-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Hi.

Just an update... I went for the v2 kit in the end :-)

I'm currently mid build and its going well.

Thanks again for all your inputs.

Ian

It's an awesome
Build loved building mine, just make sure to read the inserts from the right side when adding them and you'll set it up alright from get go 👍 enjoy