PDA

View Full Version : losi 22.2 or b5m

icequake2000
11-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Hi cant make my mind up which to get. what is the more popular car. please help

stegger
11-10-2014, 04:55 PM
They are both great cars. From great companies who have a fine race heritage. What sort of tracks are you running on ? High traction, low traction etc etc. The B5m is a dedicated mid motored car where as the 22 2.0 can be setup as a mid motored car or with the supplied parts in the kit you can set it up as a rear motored car !
HTH

Suzukitudor
11-10-2014, 06:12 PM
If you are going to race on AstroTurf - Schumacher Cougar kf. Or the cougar sv a less 'mid' mid motored car! And they are British.

icequake2000
11-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Hi. the track is an outside track. the surface is a mix of AstroTurf, grass and concrete. see link https://sites.google.com/site/tivertonrccc/gallery. was thinking of Schumacher but isn't the sv2 an oldsih model now?. thank you

J77MYF
11-10-2014, 07:44 PM
I bought a B5M when they first came out. I bought a B-max 2 V3 to try a couple of months back and I love it. The B5M will be going up for sale when I get around to it.

Tom3012
11-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Never driven a B5M, I drove the original 22 but didn't like it... Currently driving a VBC firebolt and I think it's ace, straight out of the box! Has to be worth considering!

OneKiwi
11-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Of those 2, if it's the only choice get the b5m it works well as mm on loose track as well.

DNC
11-10-2014, 08:35 PM
I have a B5m and race on an astro track. I'm struggling with it. I think the metal chassis is too stiff.
I'm looking to change it.
Most popular 2wd at our club is 22 2.0??

jsw123
11-10-2014, 08:37 PM
I have been told, by someone who would know, that as an all rounder the B5m is the best he's seen.

Suzukitudor
11-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Hi

Best thing to do; pop down to the track you intend to race at and see what other people there are running. everyone here on oople will have an opinion which for a lot of people is down to personal preference. A Schumacher sv is an older buggy but cheap to buy 2nd hand and the losi 22 is a pretty old design as well! Eden park raceway is a similar track astro, Tarmac, and concrete and a kf holds the lap record. But as I said earlier check at the track.

icequake2000
11-10-2014, 09:21 PM
at the track they seem to use sv2, Durango dex210, and associated 4 and 5 mostly mid motor. I am leaning towards the b5m just don't like the fact you cant change the motor direction that's why I was looking at the losi 22.2. hard to decide lol

Origineelreclamebord
12-10-2014, 07:10 AM
I have a B5m and race on an astro track. I'm struggling with it. I think the metal chassis is too stiff.
I'm looking to change it.
Most popular 2wd at our club is 22 2.0??

You'll be surprised what flex you'll be able to gain simply by removing the connection ribs between the right and left side of the sidepods - it still isn't very flexible, but it's a start. Also, I'm considering making some pieces that will increase flex from behind the front chassis, as well as some other nifty upgrades :)

That said, the B5M is an allrounder and you'll find it has crazy amounts of grip, which is absolutely awesome if you drive on a multitude of surfaces and conditions - I never felt that the B5M was missing the rear motor option on it like the 22 (and I should know... my club has a clay track).

Moving to the 22 2.0, I feel it's better if the grip is a little higher generally (as it seems to produce less rear end grip), and I think may be the 'conventional' mid-motor car to beat cars like the KF - though it does feel home on clay too - even in MM if you use the right setups.

Speaking of the KF, it's a very nice car, even on clay with some mods it went well (admittedly it was slightly moist clay, not dusty), though I do feel it loses out somewhat over 'normal' MM and RM cars. If you want one, I would wait until they release an updated version that make it a versatile car (instead of buying all the upgrades) :)

RCDIRTUK
12-10-2014, 05:48 PM
You'll be surprised what flex you'll be able to gain simply by removing the connection ribs between the right and left side of the sidepods - it still isn't very flexible, but it's a start. Also, I'm considering making some pieces that will increase flex from behind the front chassis, as well as some other nifty upgrades :)

That said, the B5M is an allrounder and you'll find it has crazy amounts of grip, which is absolutely awesome if you drive on a multitude of surfaces and conditions - I never felt that the B5M was missing the rear motor option on it like the 22 (and I should know... my club has a clay track).

Moving to the 22 2.0, I feel it's better if the grip is a little higher generally (as it seems to produce less rear end grip), and I think may be the 'conventional' mid-motor car to beat cars like the KF - though it does feel home on clay too - even in MM if you use the right setups.

Speaking of the KF, it's a very nice car, even on clay with some mods it went well (admittedly it was slightly moist clay, not dusty), though I do feel it loses out somewhat over 'normal' MM and RM cars. If you want one, I would wait until they release an updated version that make it a versatile car (instead of buying all the upgrades) :)
I currently run the TLR 22 2.0 It's an awesome buggy you can have all sorts of options with setups also new improved parts are coming such as the bell crank system for steering.
I speak with all other TLR owners all over the world it's like one big family always there to help (bonus)
The 22 format is very robust a lot more than any other buggy I no so less visits to your local hobby shop for parts and I have run losi on to TLR for 10 years running from a basher to a competitive racer so my choice hands down TLR 22 2.0 #RCDIRTUK rcdirtuk1@gmail.com

FrogPrince82
12-10-2014, 07:20 PM
I currently run the TLR 22 2.0 It's an awesome buggy you can have all sorts of options with setups also new improved parts are coming such as the bell crank system for steering.
I speak with all other TLR owners all over the world it's like one big family always there to help (bonus)
The 22 format is very robust a lot more than any other buggy I no so less visits to your local hobby shop for parts and I have run losi on to TLR for 10 years running from a basher to a competitive racer so my choice hands down TLR 22 2.0 #RCDIRTUK rcdirtuk1@gmail.com

+1

:thumbsup:

Gonz13
13-10-2014, 10:36 AM
TLR 22 all the way!

Noob
13-10-2014, 10:50 AM
the b5M is a new buggy that is gaining good popularity, see more and more people getting them.

Dr Fly
13-10-2014, 05:32 PM
As others have said, the most important thing to consider when choosing a buggy, if you have no preference yourself, is to check what others are racing at the club.

I am one of a very few that run the 22 2.0 in my club. As a result i am pretty much on my own when it comes to sharing setup tips, borrowing parts etc.

Now you can overcome some of that, i keep a complete spare v1.0 roller for spares, as i sometimes race an hours drive away, and don't want to ruin a day by breaking a couple of quids worth of plastic.

I like to think i have the benefit of learning more, as i have to try all setup changes myself, instead of just pinching a quicker guys setup. But be warned, it can be quite frustrating, as some days, the car just doesn't do what you want to do, and you cant figure out why.

So in short, if you want an easy time and short term results, just get what everybody else runs. But if you want a challenge and a bit of adventure, get something that nobody else runs!!

alex97
13-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Ive had a b5m since they first came out and the first few meetings I just couldn't get it to perform how I wanted it to and wasn't getting more than 9 laps. After a lot of practice and help from others at my club I got on top of the setup and mid 11 laps is now the norm. Its now a very reliable and consistent car but it took a lot of work to get it how it currently is.

I go suggest getting the schelle slipper and lunsfold ti turn buckles for the b5m.

would I get the b5m again knowing what I now know, yes.

archtech
02-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Hi there, I had same choice to make a while back, went with b5m, mainly due to the number of Centro b4s that ran at my local track. Ive found it a very well built car, surviving crashes id have put money on it breaking something.( still manage to breeak bulkheads, but thats my own fault going up ramps at wrong angles mainly and ending in a wall) bmax is a good choice j77 right about that, from what ive seen anyway. Would love to know what you eventualy went with.

icequake2000
02-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Hi still trying to decide. I have been adviced to move away from the losi as no one runs then around devon. I have narrowed it down to the b5m, duarango dex210v2, rb6 or the new vbc firebolt . whats stopping me is whats coming out in the next 4 months do I wait or go for it now?.

discothesnake
02-11-2014, 07:49 PM
If you don't mind spending the extra cash I'd go for the RB6 all day long.

Karting
02-11-2014, 08:16 PM
If you don't mind spending the extra cash I'd go for the RB6 all day long.

I swapped from a 210 to a RB6 and regretted every single second of it. Actually made me hate racing 10th.

Swapped my RB6 for a TM2 and back to loving tenth again :thumbsup:

icequake2000
02-11-2014, 08:24 PM
hi what is a tm2?. how come you hated the rb6 just for interest.

discothesnake
02-11-2014, 08:31 PM
I swapped from a 210 to a RB6 and regretted every single second of it. Actually made me hate racing 10th.

Really? I don't think there's anything like it for mid motor 2wd

dazp83
02-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Team c tm2 is a forward motor car, I just changed from a hobao h2 pro (losi 22 copy) and I really like it on astro.

icequake2000
02-11-2014, 08:56 PM
just for interest what was wrong with the Durango.

J77MYF
02-11-2014, 11:02 PM
I had two B5M's and I've just sold the last one. Swapping to the B-Max2 was definitely right for me as its so much more planted, predictable and there's loads more adjustment that actually makes a huge difference. I found the B5M really hard work everywhere. One thing I can say is the B5M is a tough thing but I suppose it needed to be. We don't all drive the same and the B5M might suit your style. I'd definitely advise trying one before you buy it though.

Karting
03-11-2014, 07:33 AM
hi what is a tm2?. how come you hated the rb6 just for interest.

A tm2 is a forward motor 2wd. (think engine postion in same place as 4wd).

I didn't like the rb6 as for me i couldn't get it to work for me. I just couldn't get the rear to be anywhere near predictable

shark
03-11-2014, 07:53 AM
4 months!!! Blimey

RogerM
03-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Did you try my base setup on the RB6, it's about as predictable as they come!

200sx
03-11-2014, 08:13 PM
The 22 2.0 would be my choice. Without a doubt the strongest buggy on the market.