PDA

View Full Version : Xray T3 , T4 performance differences

Ninjagordy
21-10-2014, 05:01 PM
hi guys,

just wondering if you noticed much difference between the 2 cars performance/handling wise.

I run a TRF416 at the minute and i'm forever breaking it.... possibly due to lack of talent but it just seems to break too easy!!

Im going to give an xray a go as there widely regarded as one of , if not THE strongest touring cars out there... obviosly T3's are less expensive as T4's ;-)

all views appreciated!!

cheers

Gordy!

J-milz
22-10-2014, 02:47 AM
You hit a wall at the rights speed you will break anything. However I've owned and still own several Xray cars and your right. It's a tank! I have tons of spares that I haven't had to replace. The build quality is second to none!

With the new 15' on the market I'm sure you can get a 14' for cheap!

zienna
22-10-2014, 03:07 PM
I was always told that the xrays are like tanks but ive found that my t4 13 nearly every race ive broken something :thumbdown: . Where my serpent or old cyclone I never broke a thing :thumbsup:.

Ninjagordy
22-10-2014, 04:49 PM
cheers guys...... funny that, i had an old yokomo sd ssg that got serious abuse and hardly ever broke....

thanks for the input! ;-)

beale
22-10-2014, 07:20 PM
The only chassis I didn't bother with was the T4 13 as I didn't think the LCG aspect was worth it from the T3 12, basically I had a box of spares going back to a T2 007 that I gave away just kept a front wishbone, Knuckle and rear upright that fitted each chassis as I moved on, I replaced the front right knuckle on both the T2 009 and T3 12 at the same track on the same apex by bad driving but other than that a bearing seized in a rear upright that ruined it oh and a belt after someone hit the back of my car at ludicrous speed!! All in £30 for 7 years of parts, boring really!!!

Ninjagordy
22-10-2014, 09:37 PM
haha.... nice one mate.... thats not boring.... thats ideal!!

so, Im very close to grabbing a T3 down to the fact its about half the price i can get a T4 for. is there much in it from experience between the T3 andT4 performance/handling wise?

Cliveyp
23-10-2014, 10:32 AM
I regularly run a T4 '14, having only returned to racing in the last 12-14 months. I started off borrowing a friends spare Awesomatix chassis and grabbed the T4 around December last year. Apart from a short stint running a Durango, i've run the T4 most weeks with my only breakage being a stripped thread from a wishbone where the lower damper ball joint attaches. This had been going slowly over time as I had a screw working loose fairly regularly. It finally ended its life in a hefty impact. This didnt break the arm, it was solely a stripped thread. Other than that i've only ever said goodbye to a couple of 64dp spur gears. They have both been genuine Xray ones, and one of those was due to a motor moving slightly. I had a stint with an RW spur which didnt let me down, but was extraordinarily noisy and it just didn't quieten down no matter how I meshed it.

So, in my opinion its a very strong car. I've given it some serious impacts over time and its bounced off everything. A big plus for me!

As for competiveness against the T3, thats very much down to driver ability. I was regularly beaten by a friends T3 at club level, but he's been racing fairly constantly after I quit and so has a much greater skill level than I've managed to get back. It wasn't that long ago that manufacturers only updated their cars every 2-3 years, and I see no need to run the latest stuff unless you're right at the thick end of the competition where each 1/100 second counts.

Ninjagordy
23-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks for that mate. Speeds necer been an issue for me but consistency has. Although lately i have been stopping mid final due to damging my TRF from not overly big impacts. I too have hust returned no more than 2-3months ago from a long break so probably need to work more on talent rather than car strenght....lol

beale
23-10-2014, 08:54 PM
a T3 12 is still very competitive against TRF 418's Mi5's etc in the right hands on most club tracks

Ninjagordy
24-10-2014, 11:12 PM
ideal matey.... i grabbed a T3 and its ready to go now...will see but i already feel confident looking at it and the build quality/feel or the components...very impressed. first Xray i have owned!!

J-milz
26-10-2014, 11:45 PM
Now try the T3 with the RACEBERRY shocks and lower T4 shocks. I have that on my VTA car and it killer!

Ninjagordy
28-10-2014, 08:18 AM
I'll keep that in mind!

after a really quick adjustment for carpet (and I mean really quick , sat my TRF down and made it as close to it as I could from looking at it!) after 2 quali runs, I Qualified pole in the A Final , not at all bad with this being literally the 2nd time i ran the car. only managed 3 laps in the final and a very light collision caused one of the steering arm screws to strip out. i suspect that it was already stripped as i couple of the other screws were spinning in the other hubs.

not to worry, i managed 36 laps and my previous best in quali was 35 with the TRF so all in all a good purchase im thinking!!

cheers lads! :thumbsup:

Gordy!