PDA

View Full Version : XXX4 - why not ?

Rob Fitzgerald
28-11-2006, 01:46 PM
I know the XXX4 seems to be a very unloved car here in the UK.

Why ? - what exactly is 'wrong' with it ? :wtf:

TIA

jimmy
28-11-2006, 01:58 PM
I got one of the original cars when they were first released, I couldnt get help with it, a decent setup, it was slow and boring to drive - indeed, I was faster with my B4 at the teesside 4WD regional.
The G+ is a lot better, but it needs money spending to make it work from what I know, different steering setup, one way etc..

I have seen them crash and thats enough to put me off getting another, they seem to explode on impact.

Rob Fitzgerald
28-11-2006, 02:02 PM
I have seen them crash and thats enough to put me off getting another, they seem to explode on impact.

EEEEEEEEEK :o

(are these cool smileys or what !)

jimmy
28-11-2006, 02:21 PM
i was really pleased to get the car, dont get me wrong, it was the first modern 4wd I'd had since I started racing, before that I had a 1989 super dogfighter and an optima mid. I have raced (team oople driver) John Price's xxx4g+ and it is a good car but its extensively modified to work well.

Southwell
28-11-2006, 02:21 PM
They were awesome on flat surfaces but spilled their beans at the first sight of a bump.

jim76
28-11-2006, 03:53 PM
i had a fairly modifed G+. i raced mainly on carpet indoors where the car was awesome and is still king. but outdoors for regionals i was quite off the pace. the rear end bounces around over bumps to much.

i must admit i found it a pretty durable car. racing a 10x1 indoors on a small track with very solid walls! only ever broke a couple of front shock towers and a pivot block.

ryan
28-11-2006, 04:03 PM
you could always buy a cheap xxx4 and buy a aero4 conversion the bomb:cool::D

xx4-nutter
28-11-2006, 04:29 PM
i run a xxx4 g plus , bathys old car and its spot on, suits my style of driving and thats wat i like about the car.

if u get along with the car and enjoy racing it, its easy to fix and easy to set up then its all good :).

i like my xxx4 g plus because its user freindly bottom line, suits me perfect :), where as i may not get along with a yokomo bx and somone else will . .

i think motsly its down to the driver

Stu
28-11-2006, 05:56 PM
i run a xxx4 g plus , bathys old car and its spot on, suits my style of driving and thats wat i like about the car.

if u get along with the car and enjoy racing it, its easy to fix and easy to set up then its all good :).

i like my xxx4 g plus because its user freindly bottom line, suits me perfect :), where as i may not get along with a yokomo bx and somone else will . .

i think motsly its down to the driver

I got on really well with my XXX4, on all except the most bumpy tracks. I've bought another one to run at selected tracks next summer.
Breakages can be a problem - remember changing chassies between heats at nationals - blistered hands from the hex-driver?
I did try some of the 'Team-mods' but, as an avareage driver, I couldn't tell much difference.

tyreman
28-11-2006, 08:25 PM
i had a fairly modifed G+. i raced mainly on carpet indoors where the car was awesome and is still king. but outdoors for regionals i was quite off the pace. the rear end bounces around over bumps to much.

i must admit i found it a pretty durable car. racing a 10x1 indoors on a small track with very solid walls! only ever broke a couple of front shock towers and a pivot block.

Wounder who's that could have been:eh?: :rolleyes:

jim76
28-11-2006, 09:59 PM
i got it off some bloke who can't drive round sweepers at the end of a straight!!! :-)

alrg500
28-11-2006, 10:44 PM
i got it off some bloke who can't drive round sweepers at the end of a straight!!! :-)

OOOOhhh thats harsh it was with a rental car I believe if its the incident i am thinking of.:p

jim76
29-11-2006, 11:40 AM
OOOOhhh thats harsh it was with a rental car I believe if its the incident i am thinking of.:p

i know, but you have to milk these chances when they come along! :D

jcb
29-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Can't really say a lot was ever wrong with my XXX4 G, I got my F1 licence with it this year at the nationals, finishing 32nd, and also had a third place at the British Regional Finals too.

The only mod I had on mine was the extended steering arms, and the XXXs mod to straighten the front hinge pins and occasionally a one way. Other than that it was out of the box. Breakages wise a couple of front shock towers, and front spindles. Though the spindles are the same as the ones on the XX4, BJ4, X5 and S4 so they can't be that bad.

tyreman
29-11-2006, 07:19 PM

Still managed to get the car up the inside of yours easily even if it wounldn't turn while on full lock:D :rolleyes:

ryan
29-11-2006, 07:29 PM
i ran my xxx4 for 2 years, it was the best car i had since my bj4 we (i hated my yoke) i had a xx4 to but i didnt get on with that to well and was miles quicker with the xxx4. The best bit about the car was its amazing acceleration which i love the only bad point was its handling on the rough. that is why i am making the aero4 for a balanced cell layout with the aming acceleration of the xxx4. i think i also liked it because it felt like a 4wd car just like my bj4 does now the way you can chuck it into corners and hammer on the throttle on the way out....not that it will make me any quicker lol:p

losidan
29-11-2006, 11:06 PM
The only mod I had on mine was the extended steering arms, and the XXXs mod to straighten the front hinge pins and occasionally a one way. Other than that it was out of the box.

can i ask what the xxxs mod you mention is...i'd like to give it a whirl...

thanks

jim76
30-11-2006, 10:17 AM
but the front pivot blocks for the xxx-s tourer. they are a slightly different shape which straighend the front hinge pins more parallel. It smooths out the steering, making it less snappy.

would recomend it if you have the sterring extensions on as well.

Oscar
30-11-2006, 10:32 AM
I think Stu basically said it all, XXX4 was and still is an awesome car, unless its a bumpy or rutted track. Yes mine has lots of mods on, but many of them are small changes to suit personal preference or a particular track. As for durability, the only real weak point I found was the front shock tower (but how any BJ4's have you seen do the same thing?).