PDA

View Full Version : Tinting shell windows transparent Blue

jimmiprice
13-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Guys what do you use to get the effect of a blue tint to the windows in a shell ? Im guessing it will be a transparent blue dusted over the clear windows, is it some sort of candy apple blue ?
Any help appreciated.
Jimmi.

SHY
13-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Tamiya's got a can of transparent blue, works great! (Same type as the traditional "smoke")

c0sie
13-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Or cut some lexan sheet to the same size as your windows and then dye the sheet......if you get my jist?

DCM
13-11-2008, 10:07 AM
faslucent blue, spray a few light coats, and it will give you a blue tint, you can do it with any faslucent colour too.

SHY
13-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Keep in mind though that the Faskolor paint is not waterproof, nor very scratch proof. I always put on a coat of normal spray can white to "seal" it. And the Tamiya smoke on the windows for last, which is very tough and water resistant.

DCM
13-11-2008, 10:52 AM
it is waterproof, just cause it is water based, you have to let the paint breathe for a few days to fully cure, once cured, tough as nails.

SHY
13-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Try a race on blue clay... with rain... and use a brush and water and see what happends :D

If it works for you no problem! :thumbsup:

James
13-11-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm not being picky and this is probably irrelevant in this case but are coloured windows still not BRCA legal :confused:

DCM
13-11-2008, 11:35 AM
no, tinted windows are fine, but they must still be able to be seen through. painted windwos aren't.

Shy, been using Faskolor for a good few years, and the only issue you get, is if you use the shell before the paint has fully cured, once it has, it is as tough as any other paint, if it can withstand rubber tyre additive on a wet track, in the saloon class, and nitro (within reason).

bigred5765
13-11-2008, 11:45 AM
if you seal with faskoat, its not only water resistant but nitro resistant too,and its clear.

SHY
13-11-2008, 12:02 PM
no, tinted windows are fine, but they must still be able to be seen through. painted windwos aren't.

Shy, been using Faskolor for a good few years, and the only issue you get, is if you use the shell before the paint has fully cured, once it has, it is as tough as any other paint, if it can withstand rubber tyre additive on a wet track, in the saloon class, and nitro (within reason).

I've been using it for... 10 years? Mostly for 1:8 TR, and it for me sure as h... isn't water nor solvent proof. And it's cured a long time, no problems there. Normally you also need to scrub along with a solvent or soap -and it then rubs off. With a final coat of normal spray paint it's great. Also rubber dust does not stick at all!

Back on track! :D

Never tried the faskoat - I'll try that! (I guess you'd rather not use it on windows though :D)

bigred5765
13-11-2008, 12:58 PM
its gives a ice effect on the windows it looks cool, but if your going to colour the windows, back with faskoat every were its fine,

telboy
13-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Be aware though. i've backed a number of shells with 'normal' solvent paints in the past, and at some time or another, it has reacted with the faskolor.

As Carl says, faskoat seals it as good as anything. Or nitro block, both are clear.

SHY
13-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Yes, I'll agree to that. It must a least dry for a day or so before applying the spray paint. It's also so thick that you'll need to "re-cut" windows and lights or else it might lift off the Faskolor paint...

I've tried to find nitro block on a webshop without luck...

I'll try and get the Fasblock for sure! :thumbsup:

Any links to webshops would be great!

What's the exact name? FASKOAT? PAR40200?

Decal Designs
13-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Pactra candy colours work well, I've been using them for years and it's fuel proof. If using over faskolor, just make sure it dries for a few days before putting the Pactra on top.

Kev

DCM
13-11-2008, 10:43 PM
I back all colours with Faskrome, then back the whole lot with Fasblack and never have a problem, nitro I block with Nitro Blocker, but thats it, as long as it gets a chance to dry out fully, the paint don't get affected.