PDA

View Full Version : Old Newbie !!

muttleymartin
13-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Hiya chaps just getting back into this after a 25+years lay off !!!!!!! nothing much has changed, the basics are still the same. motor and battery technology obviously, and not quite as big off road following as before, touring cars were 1/12 and that was it !! just bought a 2nd hand losi 22 off fleabay to have a play with for a few months then will prob go for a b5m having run Rc10's back in the day. Any advice for an oldie coming back into the current scene???
Cracking forum by the way loads of useful info

HOTSHOT III
13-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Like you say the biggest single change is the LiPo/brushless combination.

This article will tell you everything you need to know about LiPo batteries:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

danDanEFC
13-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Don't worry too much about stuff just get to your local tracks and race.

No bad cars, or electrics just loads of choice.

honrico Diablo
13-12-2014, 08:51 PM
I did the same this year after 20 years. I made the mistake of buying kit without proper advice and wasted a fair bit of cash. Hobbyking.com has some great gear at very low prices. Also the B5M is an awesome little car!

Hobbyking x-car 120a esc £22 (buy the usb link for £2)
Turnigy trackstar 6.5t/7.5t motors £19
Turnigy nano tech saddles £20

This set is as fast as you will ever need, the esc can be flashed with Hobbywing firmware via laptop for use with their program cards. Cant argue with the prices when starting out.

JCJC
13-12-2014, 09:13 PM
danDanEFC's right, visit where you intend to race, see what others are using, some clubs may have rules regarding this and that, you know if your car and equipment are common then there is more chance of advice and spare parts to scrounge if you break. Lipo's and brushless have made meetings easier and cheaper in the long run, 2.4g transmitters/receivers the same. I think modern cars may be stronger, carbon fiber etc, certainly more bling.

Seem to be a few 20/25 year returners threads just lately, all welcome, how's those thumbs & eyeballs :).

You have questions, oOple's the place :thumbsup:

V6Jim
19-12-2014, 04:36 PM
I'm a recent returnee after a hefty 20+ year layoff. As you say, motors and LiPo's make maintenance a lot easier, but have also increased speeds by a fairly considerable amount, which is great, but also isn't great.

Y'see, back in the olden days my reactions and eyesight were pin sharp. I won championships and everything! But now? My reactions and eyesight are much duller and the cars are much faster. The result is a bit of a mess really. I drive like a numpty now. Overshoot corners, can't get jump distances right (no jumps in my day) and generally make all the mistakes I used to try and teach newcomers not to make in the eighties.

But, d'you know what? I'm loving it!

Get stuck in and have a laugh...

Jimmy