PDA

View Full Version : Saddle vs Stick

rjklein
27-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Ok I ordered my car yesterday the wait begins. So now is the big question saddle vs stick. I have seen both configurations on this site, what are your thoughts on ballance?

rjklein
27-11-2008, 12:46 PM
This option looks good to

rjklein
27-11-2008, 12:48 PM
I might have to change my order to 2 cars with spares and not one.

footey
27-11-2008, 01:26 PM
personly id keep the car as it was designed so saddle is the way i run my pred x11 never tryed the stick way though:)

niggs98
27-11-2008, 04:09 PM
i personally run mine in saddle pack for lipo and find it very good. the team are also testing a stick version of the car though so that we are ready for what ever lipo's are or arnt brca legal for next year ;) as for which is better im not sure yet but 5000 mah sticks fit without issue where as 3200 saddles are a squeze. both require modifications to fit and the difference in balance for the car is minimal between the 2 styles so if you already have a particular style of lipo build your car to fit that

big_boss
27-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi All
I like the car(X10) with a stick Lipo better than the saddle pack.
I have been using Lipo exclusively for 1 year now, and with all honesty I have no plan to go back to Nimh if I can help it.
However, we run our racing season as we see fit & do not follow Ifmar rules to a tee, only base the rules on them, change what we want & keep what we want. If someone wants to run a brushed motor & Nimh batteries he is more than welcome, but most of us run brushless & Lipo (any motor & any battery).
I find the X10 jumps better with the stick battery than it did with the saddle configuration, easier to keep the car level mid air & easier to land level too.Big jumps used to be daunting to me, as I recall, keeping the throttle "pinned" right up to the landing itself, where I would apply the brakes to get the nose down so the car would land on all "fours". If I would try to jump without throttle input or no enough it would nose dive.
It could be the weight of the Nimh cells or the "weight forward" configuration that made it a handful to jump, or a combination of the two, I don't know.
I'll put another way, when I get an X11 it's getting the "stick". LOL.:thumbsup:

Richard Lowe
27-11-2008, 05:27 PM
If you have to keep the throttle wide open all the time the car is in the air to stop it nose-diving you have bigger issues than cell layout :woot:

Lee
27-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Is it still the fastest car in the world?

Stu
27-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Hi All
Big jumps used to be daunting to me, as I recall, keeping the throttle "pinned" right up to the landing itself, where I would apply the brakes to get the nose down so the car would land on all "fours". If I would try to jump without throttle input or no enough it would nose dive.

I don't think that’s a reflection of most folks experience with the car.

It's obviously not as responsive in the air as a XX4/SX/X5 belt type car due to the ultra light transmission, but its never a problem getting it to jump flat on all but the worst laid out jumps.

The standard layout is perfectly fine.

Stu
27-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Is it still the fastest car in the world?

Aerodynamically, yes. Not sure how I know that, read it somewhere I think - :eh?:

WHITTLER555
27-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread but are we still racing smelly things on Sunday, Stu, Lee?

My opinion on the cells in a pred is use 5, it will be plenty quick enough:woot:

Stu
27-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Yes.

We should all pack in Lee's fun-bus.

WHITTLER555
27-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Have you still got spare fuel or do you want me to buy some?

Do you want me to pick you up on Sunday? If so what time!

ads0021
27-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Out of interest my car with lipo stick is better balanced side to side than with sub C cells. And has 1% more weight over the back than with sub C.

tjf
27-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Once there is a proper lipo setup I will then buy an X11 again.
I dont like having to do all the mods so when they are done I will spend my cash :thumbsup:

big_boss
28-11-2008, 04:50 AM
If you have to keep the throttle wide open all the time the car is in the air to stop it nose-diving you have bigger issues than cell layout :woot:

You are right, I did. A lot has changed since that first season with the X10, maybe I only remember the bad things that happened during that year. It wasn't a very good setup & the jumps were not kept in good nick, also my driving... I think that's enough excuses for now...

big_boss
28-11-2008, 05:06 AM
I don't think that’s a reflection of most folks experience with the car.

It's obviously not as responsive in the air as a XX4/SX/X5 belt type car due to the ultra light transmission, but its never a problem getting it to jump flat on all but the worst laid out jumps.

The standard layout is perfectly fine.

No, just my own experience. It was magic every where els on the track.
the jumps were the worst part of the lap by a big margin, but that could be sorted with a better setup (I know that now). the other cars (xxx4,xx4,bj4) didn't have this problem over the jumps, this fact makes a strong point that the setup was lacking.;)

niggs98
04-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Out of interest my car with lipo stick is better balanced side to side than with sub C cells. And has 1% more weight over the back than with sub C.

i felt my car pivoted better in the turn with the stick layout but this was on a unknown track in terms of testing for me so will know more after this weekend when i hit epr ;)