PDA

View Full Version : Join the Mirage Racing Team

Ben Cosgrove
27-11-2008, 04:36 PM
http://www.mirageracing.com/graphics/team/team-main-page.jpg

Are you interested in joining a growing, dynamic and fun racing team?
Would you like to be part of one of the most successful racing dynasties ever?

Do you want to be teammates with some of the most successful racers the UK has ever seen?

We are actively recruiting the best racers across Britain to expand our already amazing racing team. Join us, and you can be part of the history!

Mirage has been offering racers around Great Britain the top RC racing equipment for over 15 years, providing top of the range kits, parts, service and support for the best racers in the UK.

http://www.mirageracing.com/jointeam.php

blitzboy
27-11-2008, 04:40 PM
good bunch of guys too :thumbsup:

mobile chicane
27-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm realy quick honest;), can I have some free stuff now ?

Neil Skull
27-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Are these team drives through a shop so you get a discount or direct with Mirage?

ben
27-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Are these team drives through a shop so you get a discount or direct with Mirage?

I would say mirage direct :)

Neil Skull
27-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Do how do you qualify?

Is for anyone who races or just national top ten?

I was always told that sponsers approach you direct and there are very few sponsored drives.

jim76
27-11-2008, 10:47 PM
It is direct through mirage. Drop Ben a CV of your racing results along with a covering letter about you and your plans for the next year. Let him know what you can offer HIM, not just the other way round.

Or just use the link he has provided to an application form!!

Darren Boyle
28-11-2008, 12:49 AM
I doubt very much that Neil is interested in a drive since he is the Internal Sales Manager (not sure if that is your job title mate?) for Kyosho UK, he is probably more interested in the fact that Mirage are "advertising" for more "direct sales straight to the public" (oops sorry I meant "team drivers")

Most R/C companies who are sponsoring people are turning people away since their teams are already bulging or the standard of driver that is applying is not that of what they are looking for, Mirage obviously see it differantly (£££'s I suspect) after all the average "team driver" paying trade price for his goods (or therabouts) would spend more on his/her racing in a season than a small model shop would and at "trade price" Mirage are still making money........

Lee
28-11-2008, 08:07 AM
So synical Mr Boyle, but actually spot on :lol:
Also when you sign up to them you HAVE to use the full package, so you buy everything from them, from the car right down to the battery bars for the cells you have just bought from them. You are also tied in effectively and what you run might not be the best on the market. It’s the same with schuey and horizon etc.
Luckily I ran the products I am sponsored to use now so I was made up when I was offered it, and I would continue to use them if I became a normo again :lol:

mark christopher
28-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Also when you sign up to them you HAVE to use the full package, so you buy everything from them, from the car right down to the battery bars for the cells you have just bought from them. You are also tied in effectively and what you run might not be the best on the market. It’s the same with schuey and horizon etc.
Luckily I ran the products I am sponsored to use now so I was made up when I was offered it, and I would continue to use them if I became a normo again :lol:

ah so Mr Lee

mirage are a good team to be in, lots of help and hidden benifits too. they are also understanding to each individual, all you have to do is talk to them, there perfectly fair!

Neil Skull
28-11-2008, 09:14 AM
I am trying to understand what mirage are offering as it could to be as Darren says bypassing the shops.

We do run a scheme to support drivers through shops but they have to be of a good standard and it is limited numbers. But most importantly the shops keep the spares and support the racers in general.

Maybe Ben can confirm how many drivers can get this deal and what you need to qualify?

I just want to make sure that we have a level playing field. and a fair deal for those guys who enjoy their racing.

I dont want to see what has happened to gas on road where every one had a supported drive with serpent or whoever and end up with no shops supplying parts and therfore no sales and then a a big brand getting into the situation Serpent are in.

Lee
28-11-2008, 09:23 AM
ah so Mr Lee

mirage are a good team to be in, lots of help and hidden benifits too. they are also understanding to each individual, all you have to do is talk to them, there perfectly fair!

I never said they weren't, i used to run orion motors and cells through them when i was a pup, Syd was always very helpful along with Karl:thumbsup:

Richard Lowe
28-11-2008, 10:00 AM
So Also when you sign up to them you HAVE to use the full package, so you buy everything from them, from the car right down to the battery bars for the cells you have just bought from them.
Not quite Lee, I don't run a D4... ;)

Mirage is a great team to be part of :)

James
28-11-2008, 10:27 AM

Not so regarding the whole package, not in mine or rich's case anyway they support me but just in a few of their brands, not their full product range.. :D

Teddy truman
28-11-2008, 11:27 AM
always had awsome support :-) great team to race for:thumbsup:

Northy
28-11-2008, 12:24 PM
It’s the same with schuey and horizon etc.

That's not true Edward :)

G

Ben Cosgrove
28-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Mirage offer various "team drives" to all enthusiasts. We have the SDP Shop Driver Programme which has been running for a couple of years now and is very successful in helping the shops support the drivers.

The 'aim' of the join the mirage racing team advert is to do some market research in to the racing segment of the hobby. I want to then encourage people to use the SDP through their local model shop.

Mirage only sponsor drivers directly when we feel that we can actively help the driver develop, there is no point in just saying there you go you have a team drive. I have been in this hobby now 15 years and have seen both sides of the industry and know that when I started out I would have loved some guidance in the early stages.

That is what Mirage are offering - guidance and support for racers out there who enjoy the hobby and choose to spend all of their hard earned cash to do something they enjoy. If I can help one driver become more confident, enthusiastic, committed then I feel very proud of that.

Model shops are KEY to this industry. I know how important it is to have advice and support in your area. It is a shame that some shops do not support clubs better as that is a trend I have seen over the past 10 years, fewer shops at meetings. Because of this people have to make sure they have enough stuff and this is where the internet fast turn around shops come in as they can help out drivers at last minute.com to get that part they just broke or forgot to order.

If you send in the completed request then you will be either recommended to join the SDP or if your results are worthy then you may be considered for a 'direct' drive. If Neil Cragg emailed (not saying he would) then I would not push him through the SDP as no other distributer/sponsor would do I'm sure!

So basically guys we are trying to encourage drivers to go through the shops, but we need the shops to support racers!!!!

Darren Boyle
28-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Just to reinforce my earlier post, my comment was in no way suggesting that the "Mirage" team is a bad one to be in, it is quite possibly the very opposite.

It is also not anything against the likes of Ben and Adam who work at Mirage and deal with the team, after all they are only doing as their boss (or their new boss) has asked them too.

My point is that for years the countries top drivers like Neil Cragg, Darren Bloomfield, Lee Martin and Ellis Stafford etc etc have all come up through the ranks and had always dreamed of one day becoming a "top" team driver with full factory support etc. Over the years it has always been the "elite" who get sponsored and you had to work hard and race well to get it. The new system from Mirage basically opens up sponsorship to the masses (for the reasons I believe that I have already put) and by sponsoring almost "anyone who applies" (so it seems) really puts down those who have had to "earn" their drives and get to where they are today through hard work, determination and of course good skills. Pherhaps this is not the case anymore...........

iank55
28-11-2008, 01:40 PM
I think it was Schumacher who started the trend of sponsoring every Tom, Dick and Harry in the early 90's with there b, c, d, e.... teams. Prior to that only the 'Elite' were sponsored.

jim76
28-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Just because you apply doesn't mean they will say yes? Ben will obviously select those with the most potential for results and trackside exposure.

Didn't T-tech do a similar thing a while back, offering for anyone to buy a slightly cheaper X11 along with a spares pack to boost their numbers? Obviously those with an X10 who wanted to apply couldn't as they would have to buy a whole X11 instead of just the upgrade parts!

Ben Cosgrove
28-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi Darren

(personal comments - not views of my employer)
I understand your point and agree with you but once one distributor who shall remain nameless opened up their 'ranks' and then offered everybody direct with B+, B, C, D drives...not through shops....direct with them went down that path....they set presedence for every one else!

People do not seem to question them though? Maybe they just have underhand tactics about selling direct?

I will point out though Darren that to quote

"The new system from Mirage basically opens up sponsorship to the masses (for the reasons I believe that I have already put) and by sponsoring almost "anyone who applies" (so it seems) really puts down those who have had to "earn" their drives and get to where they are today through hard work, determination and of course good skills"

We will be pushing those drivers back to the model shops and maybe give you some more customers by offering our guidance. We are trying to help them develop their skills through the SDP. Details of the SDP are available to all shops who have a Trade account with Mirage.

To all drivers - I would suggest asking your local shop about the Mirage SDP, they will be able to find out about it from the office if they have not already got the details.

niggs98
28-11-2008, 01:55 PM
yeah xtreme did and it has worked in the long term for them, they have a strong team going into 09 and are still actively building it. i see that since shumacher have come back with a very large team along with x fac growing that other importers are actively searching for drivers as well but maybe not quite so publically as mirage are. i know that i for one cant shout high enough for the support mirage have and continue to give me and other team members. as previously said by ben and others they offer a variety of deals so that you can get the package to suit you rather than a you must run xxxxxxx product like others do which i personally feel is a good thing and really makes it easy for the driver who can then promote the products in the best way possible which in turn gives mirage better PR and good feed back on their products

personally i think its a good thing to do as they are helping more levels of driver like xtreme do. they also have a program to promote more juniors as they are the life blood of our sport so i will continue to promote their products as well as the other ones im sponsered to do, and look forward to doing so for as long as possible :thumbsup:

DCM
28-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I see this as a talent nurturing excercise, so those who don't do the BIG meetings, but are competent drivers, could be given the tools and access to the information, to bring them on further, bettering their skills and knowledge. Now, I can't see Mirage sponsoring loads of drivers, directly, as it would be an administrational nightmare, let alone a logistical one. But, through shop drives, a driver might be spotted and brought up.

To be honest, no matter what the motive, if they are willing to support drivers at a time where lots of companies are looking at reducing expenditure, good on them.

GRIFF55
28-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Mirage have supported me with their products since i started back racing and were, have been and are a verry helpful company and team to be on.
They won't just sell you any old product to make sales but sell you what is the better for you/needed. If you get stuck with setups or any other problem, give them a ring or aproach another team driver and your sorted:thumbsup:

Always nice to be part of a team, its what racings about!! Oh, and FUN!!!

Neil Skull
28-11-2008, 02:16 PM
yeah xtreme did and it has worked in the long term for them, they have a strong team going into 09 and are still actively building it. i see that since shumacher have come back with a very large team along with x fac growing that other importers are actively searching for drivers as well but maybe not quite so publically as mirage are. i know :thumbsup:

Hi Nathan,
What you have just told me is a big surprise.
Have you spoken to Xtreme lately about racing and profit?

MHeadling
28-11-2008, 02:23 PM
This is making intersting reading!!

Glad I'm out of the game now, I was Mirage rep for 5 years you know!!

Neil Skull
28-11-2008, 02:26 PM
The Point that Darren made is a valid one.

Ben and the team may be very helpful knowledgable and have some great products.

But What we know is that model shops especially ones that support racing are considering giving up completely with this market due to low sales.

We know competition from overseas has in the past before the exchange rates went pete tong, killed a lot of turnover for these guys.
We also know they rely on the good racers to support the shop and the products.

My concern in this is if you support direct all the drivers of a certain caliber that are the bread and butter of the race shops. what will happen to those shops that have had there customers taken away?

This has happened before. and ultimately both of those brands are nearly dead. and the race classes involved have suffered huge decline in numbers.

We have 2 strong classes still touring car (although declining) and rallycross.

Dont forget a lot of the race shops are the ones who created the race classes and manage the tracks and facilities.

I am really worried for our hobby today but even more so tommorow!!!!!!

millzy
28-11-2008, 02:28 PM
All good, but im done with sending CVs all i get is no ta replys

Neil Skull
28-11-2008, 02:29 PM
This is making intersting reading!!

Glad I'm out of the game now, I was Mirage rep for 5 years you know!!

Hi Mark,

Hope are doing ok.

Yes you are well out of the game!!!!
What is your view as a now outsider? you have visited the shops you know the hobby. what do you think is the way forward?

niggs98
28-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Hi Nathan,
What you have just told me is a big surprise.
Have you spoken to Xtreme lately about racing and profit?

im sponsered by both companies for the products i use as in my signature line so promote those products ie the pred x11-08, tekin speedos then from mirage is grp, edit etc etc so is there a need to speak to xtreme about racing and profit :wtf:

the point you raise about the support problem is a valid one but mirage isnt the one who offers over 3-5 different levels of team drive like other companies do, i already know of friends who are direct with another sponser who have C and D team drives and know they do shop deals as well. from a drivers perspective it is nice to be able to order direct or through a model shop, i still buy my tyres (apart from grp) from my local model shop to suport the trade and without a doubt that is the biggest outlay of my racing full stop. the problem for shops is more that you can get most stuff from flee bay, the states etc for less than a lot of b team deals so is the problem because people are getting deals or because people are going abroad. i know that companies like kyosho, xtreme and shumacher are no cheaper no matter where you go and that is how i think things should be across the board but again that wont happen for what ever reason. is it mirage that started to offer to sell direct to the public first.... no....... as i heard about this a long time ago from others, so why is everyone having a go just as they try to increase the suport given to drivers and have openly said that most deals will be through a shop and so are still supporting the trade ?????

and its 3 strong classes, off road is enjoying ever increasing popularity at all levels, especially regional and club :thumbsup:

Darren Boyle
28-11-2008, 02:35 PM
see that since shumacher have come back with a very large team along with x fac growing that other importers are actively searching for drivers as well but maybe not quite so publically as mirage are

To clarify, we have 4 factory direct drivers and 5 distributor backed drivers only through X-Factory UK, thats nine drivers in total...........

We are NOT looking to expand our race team at X-Factory we believe the guys we have are more than good enough and spread evenly enough around the UK to do the job we want from them.

We certianly dont want a small army of direct sponsored customers otherwise known as team drivers unlike "some" others.

blitzboy
28-11-2008, 02:56 PM
thought this thread was for pepe s to reply too , why oh why all the banter guys discount , sponsorship ,freebies , company names in logos , if mirage is looking then give em supports and respect plenty of us unknown guys would chew our legs off to get a sponsor, i know i ve worked hard and struggled to get sponsorship until now and i will always support my sponsors in everyway cause i appreciate the oppurtunity god knows 16 months ago who new me and custom blitz answer : no one and im proud to be a painter of all my sponsors so big up mirage and keep up the good work guys
ya never know they could find a new super star some where

niggs98
28-11-2008, 02:58 PM
To clarify, we have 4 factory direct drivers and 5 distributor backed drivers only through X-Factory UK, thats nine drivers in total...........

We are NOT looking to expand our race team at X-Factory we believe the guys we have are more than good enough and spread evenly enough around the UK to do the job we want from them.

We certianly dont want a small army of direct sponsored customers otherwise known as team drivers unlike "some" others.

lol not as i ment darren. you have nearly trippled your team size from last year as have xtreme, these drivers have obviously come from other teams so where do you now go as a distributor to get drivers to replce the team you have lost or do you just fade into obscurity ?

Neil Skull
28-11-2008, 03:11 PM
the point you raise about the support problem is a valid one but mirage isnt the one who offers over 3-5 different levels of team drive like other companies do, i already know of friends who are direct with another sponser who have C and D team drives and know they do shop deals as well. from a drivers perspective it is nice to be able to order direct or through a model shop, i still buy my tyres (apart from grp) from my local model shop to suport the trade and without a doubt that is the biggest outlay of my racing full stop. the problem for shops is more that you can get most stuff from flee bay, the states etc for less than a lot of b team deals so is the problem because people are getting deals or because people are going abroad. i know that companies like kyosho, xtreme and shumacher are no cheaper no matter where you go and that is how i think things should be across the board but again that wont happen for what ever reason. is it mirage that started to offer to sell direct to the public first.... no....... as i heard about this a long time ago from others, so why is everyone having a go just as they try to increase the suport given to drivers and have openly said that most deals will be through a shop and so are still supporting the trade ?????

and its 3 strong classes, off road is enjoying ever increasing popularity at all levels, especially regional and club :thumbsup:[/quote]

"im sponsered by both companies for the products i use as in my signature line so promote those products ie the pred x11-08, tekin speedos then from mirage is grp, edit etc etc so is there a need to speak to xtreme about racing and profit :wtf:" Yes you must ask them the truth about how much money a race shop can make you will be surprised.

"and its 3 strong classes, off road is enjoying ever increasing popularity at all levels, especially regional and club :thumbsup:[/quote]" That is good news i have seen a mini revival but lets not see it killed by the sam tactics you was complaining about earlier.

I am gald you buy your tires from a shop but this is one of the smallest margins for them.

I have never heard of anyone on such a deal do you know anyone or even how many get this?

Neil Skull
28-11-2008, 03:14 PM
thought this thread was for pepe s to reply too , why oh why all the banter guys discount , sponsorship ,freebies , company names in logos , if mirage is looking then give em supports and respect plenty of us unknown guys would chew our legs off to get a sponsor, i know i ve worked hard and struggled to get sponsorship until now and i will always support my sponsors in everyway cause i appreciate the oppurtunity god knows 16 months ago who new me and custom blitz answer : no one and im proud to be a painter of all my sponsors so big up mirage and keep up the good work guys
ya never know they could find a new super star some where

You have to understand we are trying to find out the difference between a sponsorship.
And direct sales.

We are trying to get some clarification as to what is being offered to how many and at what price.

From the original post it seems to be open to any racer.

It is very important as it affects the model business and therefore your hobby.

jim76
28-11-2008, 03:27 PM
As i'm sure Ben will clarify, it will be open for anyone to apply, that doesn't mean they will automatically be accepted!

It is free for any racer to approach any manufacturer for support by sending them a CV etc, it doesn't mean they will receive an offer!

I also can't help but feel if Kyosho had supported a UK team a few years ago when the ZX5 was lauched they would be in a much stronger postion now, as has been widely discussed on here before. I ran the ZX5 in it's early days with great success but ultimately the lack of support made me look elsewhere. I received a great deal of help last year from fellow Mirage drivers that will hopefully put me in a stronger postion for next year.

Neil Skull
28-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi Jim?

That is what i want Ben to clarify.

The lazer was a good car. There was no sponsored drivers simply because the level of sales in this class then and now do not justify a full supported driver in the UK for this class only.

What i belive is a popular mis-conception is the difference between a sponsored driver and one who is supported directly by a distributor/manufacturer.
Just because you get your parts direct does not mean you are a sponsored driver it means you have a direct account.
It does not mean that you will get help or advice from Andy Moore.

Ben to Clarify please

jim76
28-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Just because you get your parts direct does not mean you are a sponsored driver it means you have a direct account.

That's where you are wrong then as i received help from all the "A" team drivers at nationals last year.

savageracer1
28-11-2008, 04:55 PM
i think its a great idea, i've send a email in im only 14 and i am strugling to keep up with the rising costs of RC and with a little help from mirage i can keep on racing and doing the hobby i love
Jake

millzy
28-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi Jim?

That is what i want Ben to clarify.

The lazer was a good car. There was no sponsored drivers simply because the level of sales in this class then and now do not justify a full supported driver in the UK for this class only.

What i belive is a popular mis-conception is the difference between a sponsored driver and one who is supported directly by a distributor/manufacturer.

Ben to Clarify please

but if you get your parts direct at a cheaper price then that must count as a sponsored driver. and if the acocunt is in your name and they had asked you to wear the race gear and asked what races your attending.

and why do you need help from Andy More if your not a team driver? shouldnt he be giving help out any way as a team driver >>

jim76
28-11-2008, 05:07 PM
and why do you need help from Andy More if your not a team driver? shouldnt he be giving hepl out any way as a team driver >>

Exactly !!!!!

Funny how the only negatives in this thread are from the Kyosho Rep and the X Factory distributor!! How many negatives from actual racers?? Think that speaks for itself.

MHeadling
28-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi Neil,

Im doing good thanks!

Yes i left Mirage about a year and a half ago, got back into racing a bit as its not my job anymore,

I did enjoy my job at Mirage and made some good friends, Greg,Karl,Ben,Ritchie etc but things have def moved on since I left there! ;)

As for my views, Yes I still see alot of my old customers as I am buying gear off them as opposed to the other way round! I still hear their moans about the trade!

I feel that the Elite in any sport that dedicate alot of time and money to racing should be rewarded for their efforts, seeing the top lads in any Rc Class race they drive alot of miles to get to the meetings and are the face of the product/company trackside and should be given sponsorship deals.

The shops need to be supported through these hard times, so getting more business for them would be key if I was a distributor.

I personally would sponsor 2-5 A final drivers in each premier class, then have a selection of B team drivers through out the country to support club drivers at Regional/Club level, I would tie these drivers through a shop that supported the product, this I feel will boost sales, keep happy shops, happy team drivers and happy end users (most important).

If every one became a team driver you would bypass the shops that have supported you for X number of years, the product/company could be badly reprasented trackside by the local 'Im a team driver I know it all!' (every club has one!) and it could end up effecting the business in a huge way.

If A and B team type drives are managed correctly, i.e not every tom dick and harry gets offered a drive then it keeps and even keel.
As the model trade is a small industry shops/customers will soon get wind of the sponsorship deals not being managed correctly and this could have a bad effect on sales, so be carefull is my advice!!

rcracer
28-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Sorry guys i think its time to draw a close to this thread before it gets out of hand..