PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Schumacher Cat XLS bits

OptimaFan
27-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Hi

As some may already know, I am rebuilding a Cat xls with some Procat bits here and there. I also got 2 different color shocks with one of the cars that form the base for this rebuild. The front shocks are the slightly dulled silver metal color. The rear ones however are more shiny and a darker shade of silver, leaning a bit towards the color of stainless steel or light titanium. If possible, I would like the same color shocks up front. So if you have a couple of these willing to part with, please let me know.

Edit: also interested in some black XLS rims, narrow fronts, wide rears.

Edit 2: Also looking for "A180" O-rings, like used in the front suspension arms, to reduce slop. Or a suggestion for a compatible part.

DerbyDan
27-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Hi

As some may already know, I am rebuilding a Cat xls with some Procat bits here and there. I also got 2 different color shocks with one of the cars that form the base for this rebuild. The front shocks are the slightly dulled silver metal color. The rear ones however are more shiny and a darker shade of silver, leaning a bit towards the color of stainless steel or light titanium. If possible, I would like the same color shocks up front. So if you have a couple of these willing to part with, please let me know.

There are two sorts of the early design Schumacher shocks - as you point out, some are sort of a darker (but more shiney) shade... these shocks are plated where as the more dull silver shocks are natural aluminium - it seems the plated shocks were more of a later thing & came with later ProCats, Cougars & Mk1 Nitro10s etc. Personally I prefer the original natural aluminium shocks as the plating on the later ones can tend to flake off. Both types respond well to a polish up using brasso ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/DerbyDan/Schumacher%20TopCat/DSC00238_zps704ec7bb.jpg

OptimaFan
27-02-2015, 04:03 PM
I see. So for a runner the natural ones would be better, as there is no plating that can be scratched off?

DerbyDan
27-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Yes from an aesthetic viewpoint - but both types will operate the same.

joolstacho
02-03-2015, 02:32 AM
Interesting those shocks Dan, I've got 2 types, one are 'plain' aluminium, the others are anodised aluminium, but the anodised ones are nowhere near as gold coloured as yours (in your pic), they're more a shiny silver/titanium colour, a slightly darker silver than the plain aluminum.

OptimaFan
02-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Anyway,I can make the silver ones more shiny, should I want that look, but even polished, there will be a difference between the darker shiny rear ones, and the regular silver front ones. So I either need a matching pair of the front plated shocks, or natural silver rear ones, to make sure both cars have the same color shocks front and rear.

OptimaFan
09-04-2015, 04:52 AM
Added black wheels to the first posting, need a pair of narrow fronts and wide rears.

Retro RC
09-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Added black wheels to the first posting, need a pair of narrow fronts and wide rears.

Try these guys http://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/products/

:thumbsup:

OptimaFan
09-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Try these guys http://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/products/

:thumbsup:

They have vintage CAT XLS wheels?

Adam F
09-04-2015, 09:05 PM
No, the do repro wheels, albeit with JC Racing moulded into them.

I use them on my runners, pretty good for the money.

dunc2504
11-04-2015, 07:56 AM
Hi.
I have a set of original Cat SWB black wheels .
They are unmarked .
Like XLS wheels but without the chrome finish .
Dunc2504

OptimaFan
11-04-2015, 07:11 PM
Hi.
I have a set of original Cat SWB black wheels .
They are unmarked .
Like XLS wheels but without the chrome finish .
Dunc2504

PM sent.

Retro RC
12-04-2015, 02:38 AM
Hey optima,

I have a set of front shocks about to come off my cougar build thet you can have im not sure what colour they are as they haven't been cleaned in 20 + years but they're yours if you want them.
I might also have a version 1 slipper avaliable and access to a full rebuild set too that would make up 2 full slippers just depends wether I can find a QC slipper for my project or not sorry but I'd have to sell these as it will cost me for the rebuild sets

Pm me your address and I'll send these shock off to you

Cheers adrian

OptimaFan
03-05-2015, 05:22 PM
No, the do repro wheels, albeit with JC Racing moulded into them.

I use them on my runners, pretty good for the money.

How true is the shape of those rims? I already prefer wheels to run nicely true, with no side to side wobble. But on the CAT, with the dish-shaped wheel hubs, it's even more important, as otherwise the inside of the rim will constantly rub against the wheel hubs.

OptimaFan
14-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Added some parts to the list on the first message.

Peakey
14-07-2015, 10:41 PM
O rings you can get from eBay henk very cheep I'll check tomorrow and see which ones.

OptimaFan
16-07-2015, 03:13 PM
O rings you can get from eBay henk very cheep I'll check tomorrow and see which ones.

That would be great, most are soft and so rubbery they cause the suspension arms to bind. The black ones that are used on the Cat are harder than usual and almost as smooth as teflon rings, but still have some "give".

Peakey
17-07-2015, 06:20 AM
I've thrown my pack away which had the label on, and as Gainsy managed to delete Luke's Procat thread I've had to do a bit more searching.
I've not had chance to measure mine but the Procat manual States the size as 21.6mm with a 2.4mm cs so these should work (eBay item 321667729465) but I'll try and mesure mine over the weekend.

OptimaFan
17-07-2015, 05:53 PM
So the rings are made of viton instead of silicone? That would explain being harder and less sticky.