PDA

View Full Version : 12mm hex wheels for XB4

maxm
10-03-2015, 11:16 PM
I notice that Xray has recently released 12mm hex kits for their XB4 buggies. But they have not released any 12mm wheels as far as I can tell. It may seem as if they did this only to make their cars fit Schumacher hand-out wheels at certain competitions. But Schumacher wheels are really not readily available for me. And all the wheels I can find seems to be pin-style. So...

Does anyone know what 12mm wheels will fit the XB4 best? Preferably also a brand that can take some beating, since our local track is quite rough on the cars. I have tried Yokomo wheels on Exotek 12mm hexes. It seems to work, sort of. But I have not had the chance to check how this combo may affect handling, compared to standard Xray wheels.

Another thing is that they Yokomo-wheels does not seem to like jumps and bumps very much. I am usually able to re-use about half of my wheels. But with Yokomo wheels, I have not been able to re-use a single one of them! Not that this in itself is a big issue. But it is an illustration of how weak they are by comparision to everything else I have tried. So I need a type that can handle my local track.

JohnM
11-03-2015, 07:32 AM
I use the Exotek hexes for the B44 on mine with TLR 22-4 front wheels & either TLR or AVID rear wheels for the 22-2.0/22-4, works fine & still fits in the box so it's legal for BRCA meetings.

Zippy G
11-03-2015, 08:10 AM
As we were running Losi's at the same time as the xray I put the 12mm hex's on the rear so I could save on tires, but the losi wheels just like the buggy are tough. When I used to cut down the front wheels for slim fit, they took a fair bit of strength to cut, but cutting schumacher wheels is like a knife through butter.

The Dark Knight
11-03-2015, 08:17 AM
Exotek produce 12mm hexes for the Xray XB4, these are the part numbers:

Rear 9mm wide black: EX1408-B
Rear 9mm wide orange: EX1408-O
Front 5mm wide black: EX1409-B
Front 5mm wide orange: EX1409-O

maxm
11-03-2015, 09:01 AM
I use the Exotek hexes for the B44 on mine with TLR 22-4 front wheels & either TLR or AVID rear wheels for the 22-2.0/22-4, works fine & still fits in the box so it's legal for BRCA meetings.

Thanks! Nice to know! I have tried the TLR22-4 wheels on my Yokomo Bmax4-3. That however did not turn out so good. The right front wheel consequently manages to twist itself of the axel and unscrew the nut, no matter how tightly I screw it on. This has probably happened like 10-12 times, before I stopped purchasing those wheels for my Bmax. It may be due to the fact that the axel on the Bmax is considerably thinner than the TLR22-4. I hope the same thing wont be the case with the XB4. The axel may be a better fit?

For the record, I only race on astro. I assume this is more of an issue on high-grip surfaces.

maxm
11-03-2015, 09:02 AM

Thanks! I'll try those wheels on my XB4. :-)

Col
11-03-2015, 09:54 PM
I am usually able to re-use about half of my wheels

What the hell do you do to them? I've been able to re-use every wheel on every car I've ever owned!

s22jgs
12-03-2015, 07:56 PM
The 12m hexes were only released as they needed them for EOS thanks to the control tyre being Schumacher preglued.

Team drivers don't use them any other time