PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy

Stu
31-05-2015, 12:45 PM
It's with infinite regret I pass on the news of the passing of Mr James Storey. Jimmy will be sadly missed by his family, friends and the R/C community.

russmini
31-05-2015, 02:23 PM
I'm not too sure what to put after reading that!

I'm truly truly shocked!

Jimmy, you have been one of the most influential and down right crazy individuals the world of RC has had the pleasure of knowing...

God Speed my friend, keep on being who you are and may you legend live on!

:cry: :cry:

johnboy
31-05-2015, 02:29 PM
A very sad day. Jimmy will be missed a great deal.
Thought are with his family at this difficult time

steveproracing
31-05-2015, 02:31 PM
God bless my friend. We will all miss you greatly. You had such a positive effect on thousands of racers the world over! Peace my friend. Catch you on the flip flop!!

€ric
31-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Shocked after reading this news. Indeed a very sad day.

Thougths are with his family and close friends.

Allan1875
31-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Such a shock. Rip Jimmy.

Ashlandchris
31-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Although I only live a few miles from Jimmy, I never met him although I did have dealings with him over the past 12m since I came back to R/C. He was always a gentleman, albeit what seemed a very busy one.
I was aware he had health issues as he publicised them on here, and though I do not know what they were or whether they have led to this sad news I am shocked to read this.
All my thoughts to those who knew him and loved him. There will be thousands of people positively impacted by Jimmy and his enthusiasm over the years he has been a leading R/C figure and they will also be shocked by this news today - my thoughts to them too

Chris

Rich D
31-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Shocked and saddened by this news. RIP. :(

sime46
31-05-2015, 02:55 PM
I had no idea. What an absolute shock. Love and best wishes to the family.

stegger
31-05-2015, 03:00 PM
God bless you Jimmy it was great to of spoken to you about our great hobby. Thoughts go out to Vicky, family and friends at this sad time.

R.I.P James Storey :(

ralphee
31-05-2015, 03:04 PM
Although i didnt know Jimmy, this a very sad to hear of his untimely passing, thoughts and wishes to those close to him.

Bests.....Lee

ralphee
31-05-2015, 03:05 PM
Although i didnt know Jimmy, this very sad to hear of his untimely passing, thoughts and wishes to those close to him.

Bests.....Lee

Colin Kirkham
31-05-2015, 03:08 PM
I'm really shocked and upset and saddened to read this news.
Jimmy will be really missed by so many !
I absolutely loved chatting with him.
His crazy ways and ideas always brought a smile to everyone around him.
I'm really lost for words!

My thoughts are with Jimmy's family and friends.

Pedros20
31-05-2015, 03:10 PM
Finding it hard to take this in! What a sad loss , what a great guy & what an inspiration! He really will be missed! Shocked!

h0m3sy
31-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Shocked to hear this sad news, RIP Jimmy :(

daz
31-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Absolutlely shocking news, I have no words other than give my sincere condolences to Vicky and their family at this un-imanagable difficult time.

RIP Jimmy, you are a legend to RC, bringing hundreds of people together from this brilliant website. You will be very missed......

daz
31-05-2015, 03:18 PM
Absolutlely shocking news, I have no words other than give my sincere condolences to Vicky and their family at this un-imanagable difficult time.

RIP Jimmy, you are a legend to RC, bringing hundreds of people together from this brilliant website. You will be very missed......

Gayo
31-05-2015, 03:19 PM
So sad news.

I have been visiting oOple like 10 times a day for 10 years. I feel like I am loosing a close friend, although I only met him once, at the Belgium GP. What a gentleman, a good guy and a great RC ambassador we loose.

So sad.

telboy
31-05-2015, 03:21 PM
:'( I can't believe what I'm reading!? Not jimbo?

RIP jimmy thoughts go out to the family.
A sad day in RC land :(

AndyG
31-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Unbelievably sad news.

As a Batley racer, Jimmy was one of the first guys I knew in RC, and I watched him grow into such an inspirational guy.

RIP old friend, you will be sorely missed.

��

Robbiejuk
31-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Sad sad news. Jimmy was an inspiration to me. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

shinytopman
31-05-2015, 04:01 PM
Real sad news, RIP Jimmy

Condolancies to his wife and family. sorry for your loss

grovenik
31-05-2015, 04:01 PM
Shocked and so sorry to hear this.
Jimmy will be missed by many.
Thoughts to all in these sad times.
Paul

Chequered Flag Racing
31-05-2015, 04:10 PM
R.I.P. Jimmy 'Mr o0ple' Storey.

Thanks for letting me admin and many others have fun on o0ple.
Enjoy the other side which I bet you make the most of.
Condolences to Vicky, his family and his many friends.

jonmiller
31-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Absolutely stunned to hear this!
At least you can relax now bud. Thoughts are with your family and loved ones...

Bungleaio
31-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Gutted to hear this.

DanB4
31-05-2015, 04:46 PM
I am so shocked.

So so sad. :(

Alan1467
31-05-2015, 04:51 PM
So shocked as everyone else is.
My thoughts to Vicky and all his family, he was a great guy and will be missed by us all

Peakey
31-05-2015, 05:13 PM
I can't really believe it I was only talking to him a few weeks ago, I didn't really know him that well but the times I did speek to him he was a true gent.

Jimmy you will be missed buddy God speed.

My thoughts are with your loved ones.

Origineelreclamebord
31-05-2015, 05:20 PM
This is very sad news. I haven't met him often, but he was a special character in a very positive way! In my experience he was someone you simply can't dislike - he was kind, his presence made for a good and humorous atmosphere and seemed to do everything he did with pride and joy.

My thoughts go out to his friends and family - you will be missed by many!

Spoolio
31-05-2015, 05:34 PM
Truly shocked to read this devastating news. Don't know what to say but my deepest condolences to Vicky and the family at this sad time.

Collegeboy
31-05-2015, 05:42 PM
I can't believe that someone so highly respected and thought of in the RC world has been suddenly taken from us. His enthusiasm and energy when I have met him, was second to none. I was only talking to him at round 1 Bury the other week and was memorized by his experience and knowledge. My thoughts and prays go out to Vicky and his family. RIP

kriske
31-05-2015, 06:08 PM
R.I.P Jimmy

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

wacattack
31-05-2015, 10:19 PM
Unbelievably shocked, very sad news. RIP Jimmy

MikePimlott
31-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Such sad news. My thoughts go out to the families.

RIP Jimmy. You'll be missed by so many. :cry:

CHEVY
01-06-2015, 04:22 AM
Never met Jimmy but must of been a top bloke rip mate
you can swap stories with mike reedy on the other side

AmiSMB
01-06-2015, 06:33 AM
Really shocked by this news. Jimmy was a great guy and will be greatly missed.

Thoughts go out to Vicky and the rest of the family.

Tony Gray
01-06-2015, 06:56 AM
Truly devastated to hear this. In the early days of rc-mini.net Jimmy was an immense help to a web design neophyte like me and he was always willing to answer any stupid question I asked him.
From Down Under - Jimmy, you were a top bloke.

MHeadling
01-06-2015, 06:59 AM
RIP Jimmy, such sad news

Thoughts are with his friends and family at this sad time

Peakki
01-06-2015, 07:02 AM
RIP Jimmy, all the best to family and close ones. Only met him twice IRL - such a Person in the RC World.

Hope that this forum and site continues - it's his legacy.

racingdwarf
01-06-2015, 07:33 AM
very shocked to read this,RIP Jimmy.

Pablo668
01-06-2015, 07:34 AM
Such a shock. Very sad news indeed. Thoughts go out to loved ones.

RIP Jimmy. :cry:

Panzer
01-06-2015, 08:05 AM
RIP.. I met Jimmy at euros 2008... I m so sad...

chrispattinson
01-06-2015, 08:10 AM
Very sad news. Thanks for all you've done for the RC community. Your creativity will be missed, but your creations will live on. Our thoughts go out to Vicky, your families, and your friends.

AfroP
01-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Really shocked to read this.

Massive loss for the RC community. Thoughts and best wishes to all of his loved ones.

R.I.P

JCJC
01-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Tried to get on to oOple last night, oOple was down for me, wow that takes on a whole different meaning this morning.

We met Jimmy a few times when doing the juniors back when, had his old Yoke and ran that until his ZX5 build/review encouraged us to change. We also tarted around a camera and always had good advice and help from him.

Our hearts go out to Vicky and family.

nites
01-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Such sad news, a fantastic guy who has brought the whole RC community together. He will be very sadly missed.
Thoughts go out to Vicky, family and friends.
Tony.

Aussie Top Force
01-06-2015, 08:26 AM
Very shocked to here the news of Jimmy's passing. Hearts from down under go out to Vicky and his family. So young, so much to offer! The RC Gods must have wanted your talents up stairs!

We only met once back in 2012 St Ives visit, but shared a couple of thoughts on here. Oople is one of the main pages that re-sparked my interest in this crazy hobby and now has my kids hooked.

It was pleasure meeting Jimmy and Vicky.

God bless.

Cooper
01-06-2015, 08:34 AM
I am in tears, my biggest example as a beginning photographer, my aim. I wanted to be as good as him. Now being able to work semi-professional is thanks to him!
No more pain for you my friend.
My condolences to Vicky, his family and his friends.

orinoco
01-06-2015, 08:48 AM
So sad to hear of this. Thoughts go out to his family, close friends and the oOple team. His legacy will hopefully live on through this website, his race series, and annual race weekend, where his idea was to get folk racing with a big emphasis on fun, enjoyment and banter.......RIP Jimmy oOple.......

Diesel
01-06-2015, 09:06 AM
Big races won't be the same :cry:

It was always a great pleasure to meet Jimmy and his great engagement to make amazing picture and race report.
I love his work making such professional promotion to our favorite hobby with crazy and humor approach.

I will keep my best souvenir from last Euro in Austria.

Mes pensées vont à la famille, et à Vicky, je vous présente toutes mes condoléances.

Gilles

Lee24h
01-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Just really hasn't sunk in
Such sad news
Not quite sure really to say
But Jimmy was a legend and created this site that
Sometimes we may take for granted but imagine what uk rc would be
Like without oople wether you use it for help, voice your opinion, show off, sell or buy or simply just to book in your nights racing

RIP Jimmy

My thoughts are with jimmy's family and friends at this time.

#oOple

TARTMAN
01-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Wonderful, Crazy, RC Legend.............

Mr Oople will be missed by us all.

Love and huggs to Vicky and his family. No words will help right now, I am tearful and truly upset by this news. :cry:

Truly a fantastic man and i am glad to have known him, He has done for RC what no one else can, Oople helped me and thousands of other RC people into or back into the hobby.

the RC world has lost a great man............. :cry:

Welshy40
01-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Gutted, i had a lot of fun at Maritime pitting next to Jimmy and had always helped me out when asked. Real shame, but do hope we can continue to carry the flag with his Oople website. My best wishes go out to his family.

bretts
01-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Just want to say how shocked and upset by the sad news.

Jimmy brought us all together, we all love all he has done for us in the world of rc.

You will be missed a great deal.

My thoughts are with your close family and friends, mate.

Aire valley
01-06-2015, 09:35 AM
What a shock...such sad news.... Only met Jimmy a couple of times, but what a character, such enthusiasm, such an inspiration. Few people have made such a mark on the RC world as Jimmy. Where would we have been without this site and the Oople races. A massive contribution to all our lives.
Many thanks Jimmy...RIP..
Our condolences to Vicky and all his family and friends.

HKP
01-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Tragic, tragic, tragic news. Jimmy was one of the good guys for sure. Amazing what he achieved in such a short time. The world of RC has lost too many fine Gents recently, this is one of the hardest to stomach.

My thoughts and love go out to his family at this difficult time.

NickC
01-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Was so sad to hear this news last night, my thoughts are with Vicky and family. Another great person taken to soon, sad times!:(

learnerdriver
01-06-2015, 10:15 AM
RIP Jimmy
Thoughts go out to your family and the Oople team 😔

pugs
01-06-2015, 10:15 AM
Such very very sad news:cry: you will be missed so much by all who knew you, a real nice guy who's legacy will live on for many years, my thoughts go out to all his family and friends, RIP buddy

sldmodels
01-06-2015, 10:30 AM
When I read these things, I'm really hoping that it's someone making a sick joke, but unfortunately it's not.

Rip mate, I didn't know you too well, but knew you were a leg'

crtpromachine
01-06-2015, 10:41 AM
My thoughts are with Vicky and the family at this very sad time;

Jimmy was a great guy with many talents his photography was next to none and did some work for myself at a few meetings

Jimmy RIP and you will never be forgotten xxxx

adey
01-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Terrible news, my thoughts are with his family right now, Jimmy won't be forgotten, that's for sure.

bigalbi
01-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Only met Jimmy once, apparently one meeting was all it took to have him etched in your memory, you quickly learned what a great guys he was.

My heartfelt condolences to everyone close to him.

cutting42
01-06-2015, 11:05 AM
Like everyone, I am hugely shocked at the news. Met Jimmy only once but he was immediately friendly and giving of his knowledge and experience. Top bloke. Condolences to Vicky and the family.

Dyna
01-06-2015, 11:11 AM
I cant really say much more than everyone else already has, just too young, too soon.

Condolences to his friends and family.

RIP Jimmy.

cmgreen
01-06-2015, 11:44 AM
As everyone, very shocked to hear this, Jimmy did so much to promote RC.

Rest in Peace!

lcpvcce
01-06-2015, 12:22 PM
RIP Jimmy ..............:cry::cry:

one
01-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Thank you Jimmy for making this hobby seem as cool as I imagine it to be. That's the legacy of a truly creative person. RIP.

reelman_fishing
01-06-2015, 10:15 PM
RIP :(:(:(

traffman
01-06-2015, 10:56 PM
A true advocate for the cause. A real hardworking man , upstanding and allways seemed to have a smile.

I remember seeing Jimmy at a few meet's , never met him directly but he oozed charisma.

God bless , my thought's go out to Vicky , his family , relatives and close friends.

Rest In Peace.

LurkingCAT
01-06-2015, 11:26 PM
What very sad news. A truly irreplaceable loss to the community. My thoughts goes out especially to his family and friends.

Barry Williams
01-06-2015, 11:40 PM
Terrible sad news, our thoughts are with Vicky, family & friends, RIP Jimmy

from Team Williams

Joe Siegler
02-06-2015, 12:35 AM
Hey there. I worked with Jim in the early mid 90's. We worked together at Apogee Software/3D Realms in Texas where he was a game artist with us.

Really bummed out to hear this news. Has there been any details as to what exactly happened? If someone knows and doesn't want to talk about it here, that's fine, I can be emailed at joes@3drealms.com.

Really bummed out to hear this about him. Was a good friend. Most kind to me, used to send me Red Dwarf swag back in the day from England that I couldn't get over here in the US very easily. :)

Adam F
02-06-2015, 01:26 AM
Absolutely tragic news, thoughts with Vicky and family.

MOmo
02-06-2015, 02:12 AM
Truely sad.

A pioneer who will truely be missed.

Momo

Joe Siegler
02-06-2015, 02:28 AM
I put up a story about him on the 3D Realms website. Place he loved working at back in the day.

https://3drealms.com/news/rip-james-storey/

Joe

janus_77
02-06-2015, 05:24 AM
So sad.

My condolences to Vicky and all friends and family.

RIP Jimmy :cry:

Stephen Johnson
02-06-2015, 07:53 AM
Its very sad news and my thoughts and prayers are with all effected by Jimmy's passing. RIP.

Crazy L
02-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Truly shocking news. I was in the pub on Sunday evening with my wife waiting for our food when she chirps in that some rc dude, somebody Storey has passed away, I was like: you fking what?

I credit Jimmys website with getting me back into 10th off road. I never had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy but he bought my old JB replica Durga from me and even through our brief communications he came across as a top bloke.

I can only offer my condolences to Vicky and families at this horrible time.

Frank McKinney
02-06-2015, 08:11 AM
Really sad to hear this...didn't know Jimmy very well but he was a character for sure! Very sad for his family and friends... :(

btw I'm sure people know this but in case it needs to be said, if anyone knows someone in the same situation please talk to them, and if you feel the same please talk to the Samaritans or anyone you might feel close to

Nige55
02-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Such sad sad news, I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I'm really knocked by this. Praying for Vicky and his family.

MiCk B.
02-06-2015, 08:39 AM
Really shocked at the news.

Known Jimmy for a number of years from meeting him at Euros etc. Always in a good mood, always happy to talk. Always tried to include everyone in his world.

Will never hear him say 'crazy' again.

He will be missed.

Thoughts are with Vicky and family.

Mick

DaHomie
02-06-2015, 09:01 AM
Never met you in person Jimmy but I still have the aching feeling of emptyness and sorrow once the initial shock of these, the saddest of news, has sunk in.
You, your work and your efforts will be missed by thousands across the community.
My warmest thoughts to Vicky and to all others close to Jimmy - R I P

Mash Potato
02-06-2015, 09:20 AM
So incredibly sad to hear. Wish I'd met him, alas I now never will. RIP Jimmy, really hope the site can live on as your legacy.

mark christopher
02-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Took me a time to decide what to type here

I have known jimmy via Oople for years and met him briefly for a chat at race meetings, he always helped me with photos for review tips on photography and logos for team dremel, the ones you see on our cars jimmy did for me, and would take no payment.
At bury jimmy had a deep chat with me, which suprized me at the time.

The guy will be missed by me as he inspired me, and had Rc deep in his heart. Rest in peace jimmy and when I next see you It will be at your Rc track in the sky.

Click
02-06-2015, 09:31 AM
What a tragic loss to the RC Community.

I met Jimmy & Vicky a few times, their spirit and sense of fun was contagious.

Jimmy seemed to be in a constaint state of devilment, always looking out for an opportunity to have some fun.

I hope Jimmy's legacy lives on, to bring fun back into RC racing and for all of us not to take RC racing too seriously

My thoughts are with Vicky and family.

Ron Burgundy
02-06-2015, 09:40 AM
This is truly one of the saddest and makes me feel at an absolute loss. An amazing guy with an amazing heart. We can only thank Jimmy from the bottom of our hearts for just being him.

I am, like many, unsure of what has happened but getting the general "gist" of it, I am understanding.

Please, in absolute sincerity, look after each other. We never know what is going on behind a smile. If anyone at all, in any part of the world needs to talk, to vent, to just have someone listen, you are never alone. I will put my hand up and offer a shoulder or an ear or a hug and any help I can give, to anyone, at any time.

We all have things going on in our lives, including me, that push us to the brink.

My email and facebook is pauljohnsen@hotmail.com
Telephone: +46765537959

I suggest we all do the same if you are comfortable.

I really only wish for one moment Jimmy knew this. Vicky, look after yourself and know you have a whole worldwide community looking out for you.

neallewis
02-06-2015, 10:31 AM
I put up a story about him on the 3D Realms website. Place he loved working at back in the day.

https://3drealms.com/news/rip-james-storey/

Joe

Thanks for that Joe. My first thoughts after hearing of his passing were to go play Duke Nukem 3D. And I will. Loved the game when I was younger, as many did, and didn't know Jimmy worked on it at the time (as I hadn't met him yet). I'd certainly be interested to hear which graphics and characters within the game he designed.

I think most locally and on oOple are still in shock at the news. I'm sure collectively we'll find a fitting tribute to celebrate him.

Zippy G
02-06-2015, 10:53 AM
The guy who had such an impact on the RC world and made it a better place has now left us all for a better place.

RIP Jimmy you will be missed!

Great guy who always brought fun to any meeting he attended

My sincere condolances to Vicky and the family

Cosworth
02-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Never met him as I've never been to any big off road meetings and only recently got into off road racing myself. But from what's been said here he was obviously a top bloke.

R.i.p Jimmy. My condolences to your family and friends.

discothesnake
02-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Like everyone else I am in shock. I was fortunate enough to meet Jimmy on a few occasions and he was a lovely guy.

I've been on this forum for a few years now and can't believe they it's grown. It's a real credit to him.

Whatever troubles he had, hopefully he's at peace now.

RIP Jimmy.

marco NL
02-06-2015, 11:22 AM
Shocked to hear this sad news, RIP Jimmy

Donutt
02-06-2015, 11:36 AM
Thanks for that Joe. My first thoughts after hearing of his passing were to go play Duke Nukem 3D. And I will. Loved the game when I was younger, as many did, and didn't know Jimmy worked on it at the time (as I hadn't met him yet). I'd certainly be interested to hear which graphics and characters within the game he designed.

I think most locally and on oOple are still in shock at the news. I'm sure collectively we'll find a fitting tribute to celebrate him.

I think this is a small Bio from Jimmy's time with Moby Games.
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/jimmy-storey/credits/developerId,138639/

It won't be a comprehensive list, but some very big games on this part of his CV. Like RC racing, the Games Industry is a very close community - if we don't know each other directly, we could be sure our colleagues, or colleagues/colleagues knew everyone else.

His loss to RC is huge - his loss to the GI is as big. Think of these games alone, and you'll see that they wouldn't be what they are without him.

Sometimes it's only when we lose a light, we see how dark the world is without it.
Jimmy - you've left your light shining, and I hope it burns bright for many many years to come.

moonhead
02-06-2015, 11:50 AM
So sorry to hear about Jimmy
like a lot of comments he'll be missed so much

andys
02-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Like many others that knew Jimmy - I was deeply saddened and shocked to hear of his passing, and it's taken me a while to post something here.

For me, Jimmy was, and always will be the spiritual father of RC Racing. He's responsible for so much in the hobby, and for helping create an amazing community.

Jimmy was immensely talented, as an artist, a photographer and as Mr oOple. He always wanted oOple and racing to be fun and he certainly succeeded in doing that in ways no-one could have imagined. We've lost someone really special - you'll be missed mate.

RIP Jimmy.

Duncan
02-06-2015, 01:20 PM
This is such sad news :cry: , i met Jimmy on the best racing series in the UK the Oople open . he was always full of fun and banter he will be missed
I hope mrs oople can get some comfort from all the kind and true messages
about Jimmy from so many people.
RIP Jimmy

Neil Skull
02-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Very sad news, Crazy Jimmy im sure he was a pain to anyone who crossed him, i,e Nikkon lol!!!!! but his involvement in RC scene will be sorely missed. I honestly think part of the revival in 10th offroad was largely thanks to Oople!!!

My thoughts are with his Family and Vicky!

bigbaza555
02-06-2015, 02:39 PM
WOW i cant believe you have gone:o Such sad news
the world has lost a RC Legend indeed.
no dought you will be showing the man upstairs how
to race a RC10 in some way.
R.I.P Jimmy
you and your legacy will never be forgoten.:cry::cry:

franki
02-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Its hard to find the words, such a shock!

RIP Jimmy gone but never forgotten! god bless to Vicky and his family at this hard time.

hotrodchris
02-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Last saw Jimmy at Worksop for the bwoc in February and would never of guessed that 4 months later everyone would be sharing heart felt condolences to his nearest and dearest.
He just seemed his normal self taking nothing too seriously, he definitely will be missed the commedien at every occasion!::thumbsup:

bodgit
02-06-2015, 04:51 PM
So saddening to hear such news. Thoughts with His wife, family and close friends.

fidspeed
02-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Legend,clown,devil,diamond,superstar,prat,joker,p* *s taker extraordinaire,

all these were Jimmy (and more)

all I know were gonna miss him being around his legacy is this wonderful forum of which he can be justifiably proud

our thoughts are with his loved ones left behind , the world is a poorer place without him around

regards Dave and Mitch Fiddling

neiloliver
02-06-2015, 05:39 PM
I first met Jimmy when he was photographing at an Oswestry national. He gave me advice on which camera to buy and promoted the cells I was selling, even using them in one of his reviews. He designed my storm-force racing logo and never wanted any payment.

I am so very sad to hear of his passing and send my condolences to Vicky and the rest of his family.

Rest in peace.

Neil Oliver

Tom3012
02-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Never really met Jimmy as such, only in passing at the odd race meeting. However he always came across as a nice guy, someone that if you needed anything he would do his best to help!

We only have to look at oOple and it just shows how good Jimmy was at what he did!

My thoughts go out to Vicky and the rest of the family, RIP Mr oOple

LRP
02-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Struggling to understand why great people are taken from us ..............

RIP jimmy :cry:

Bomberpilot
02-06-2015, 07:50 PM
Thank you Jimmy.

My thoughts are with his Family and Vicky

Maurice

professionalracing
02-06-2015, 08:01 PM
I find it so very hard to come to terms with the fact I will never see you again Jimmy. Rest in peace dear friend

kneegrow
02-06-2015, 08:10 PM
i thought i would come on here and show my face, i joined the forum many moons ago when jimmy advised me to ask for some help with a RC project i had.

I have known James since around 1996, we lived in the same village and i used to see him flying round on his mountain bike, then like true strangers we had a nod, a chat, and we were biking friends just like that.

Slowly our friendship grew and i was at college doing graphic design, and i find out he was not tooooo bad on a computer at design aswell ;)

Then our friendship just grew, spending most nights days just riding bikes and talking designing. Jimmy had a mk2 fiesta when i met him, and i put my finger right through a "bit of rust" on his wing, he never said it but im pretty sure he stopped playing out for a few weeks because of it.

He got himself a mk2 golf GTI, and i think the reg was G192 OHR??? why on earth do i recall this>??? We used to spend many a night driving to mcdonalds, lennys house to wheel spin and wake him up, generally act like children.

Then Vicky came on the scene, and i wont like she STOLE HIM from me, bike riding became less, but we were both doing our own thing. Aside all that, Jimmy now had a sparkle and happiness to his life. It was very evident, i watched their relationship grow and they were very much in love.

Once i saw James and his golf gti it sent me down a volkswagen path with my first polo. A road which actually led me to where i am now running my own print and design company specialising in classic volkswagen decals, oh and owning i think to date around 40 volkswagens.

Jimmy has helped me so much over the years, ive printed his stickers for years now and we talked regularly about work and general crap. Due to work commitments and the usual distractions mine and Jimmys time seeing each other became near none existent!

But lately we have been more in touch and we have had some real heart to heart chats about things. Planning on finishing his mx5, get our bikes back out, getting our shins cut and grazed again.

I am absolutely devastated by what has happened. It has blindsided me and all these memories are now flowing back.

I wish i could just tell him how happy i was for him being a part of my life, the effect one man can have on someones decisions, life as a whole is just what jimmy was about. He never asked for anything, nothing. But gave so much and the thing is he loved it.

I have been scanning through facebook/forum looking at all the comments by people with their little stories and accounts. It paints a picture of a man (I use the term loosely, he was always a boy) who had such a positive effect on people, i just wish wish wish he knew how much we all loved him.

I wont lie i am going to miss him, he was the one friend i expected to get old with, we had so much to still do.

I found myself reading last weeks emails, facebook conversations, and the one that got me yesterday was deleting his artwork off the printer.

I have to try and take what good i can from this, and there is little if not none. But im going to set myself things to do, a things to do for jimmy list.

i miss you mate.

Dan

HKP
02-06-2015, 08:17 PM
i thought i would come on here and show my face, i joined the forum many moons ago when jimmy advised me to ask for some help with a RC project i had.

I have known James since around 1996, we lived in the same village and i used to see him flying round on his mountain bike, then like true strangers we had a nod, a chat, and we were biking friends just like that.

Slowly our friendship grew and i was at college doing graphic design, and i find out he was not tooooo bad on a computer at design aswell ;)

Then our friendship just grew, spending most nights days just riding bikes and talking designing. Jimmy had a mk2 fiesta when i met him, and i put my finger right through a "bit of rust" on his wing, he never said it but im pretty sure he stopped playing out for a few weeks because of it.

He got himself a mk2 golf GTI, and i think the reg was G192 OHR??? why on earth do i recall this>??? We used to spend many a night driving to mcdonalds, lennys house to wheel spin and wake him up, generally act like children.

Then Vicky came on the scene, and i wont like she STOLE HIM from me, bike riding became less, but we were both doing our own thing. Aside all that, Jimmy now had a sparkle and happiness to his life. It was very evident, i watched their relationship grow and they were very much in love.

Once i saw James and his golf gti it sent me down a volkswagen path with my first polo. A road which actually led me to where i am now running my own print and design company specialising in classic volkswagen decals, oh and owning i think to date around 40 volkswagens.

Jimmy has helped me so much over the years, ive printed his stickers for years now and we talked regularly about work and general crap. Due to work commitments and the usual distractions mine and Jimmys time seeing each other became near none existent!

But lately we have been more in touch and we have had some real heart to heart chats about things. Planning on finishing his mx5, get our bikes back out, getting our shins cut and grazed again.

I am absolutely devastated by what has happened. It has blindsided me and all these memories are now flowing back.

I wish i could just tell him how happy i was for him being a part of my life, the effect one man can have on someones decisions, life as a whole is just what jimmy was about. He never asked for anything, nothing. But gave so much and the thing is he loved it.

I have been scanning through facebook/forum looking at all the comments by people with their little stories and accounts. It paints a picture of a man (I use the term loosely, he was always a boy) who had such a positive effect on people, i just wish wish wish he knew how much we all loved him.

I wont lie i am going to miss him, he was the one friend i expected to get old with, we had so much to still do.

I found myself reading last weeks emails, facebook conversations, and the one that got me yesterday was deleting his artwork off the printer.

I have to try and take what good i can from this, and there is little if not none. But im going to set myself things to do, a things to do for jimmy list.

i miss you mate.

Dan

That was very touching Dan. I'm sorry for your loss. :(

RogerM
02-06-2015, 08:22 PM
No words can do justice to Jimmy. We had such a laugh back in the day at the big meetings that even then he refused to take too seriously.

Top bloke, creatively brilliant and always looking for the next way to make people giggle.

Don't expect I'll ever meet anybody quite like him again. RIP Jimmy.

Deepest sympathies to Vicky, Jimmy's family and all his close friends.

kartstuffer
02-06-2015, 09:47 PM
So sad to hear this I only met Jimmy once at the winter race in Ireland when he and Vicki came over to do a review,a bit of racing and have the craic.
My son who had just started racing marshalled for Jimmy so he could take some photos and the delight in his face when at the end of racing Jimmy & Vicki gave him an oople tee shirt some oOple.com stickers and then took his photo for the review was priceless.
Thank you Jimmy and god bless.
Condolences to Vicki ,family and friends.
From all in Ireland.

tony6187
02-06-2015, 10:33 PM
I met Jimmy at a few events over the years.was such a character and a top bloke.am shocked and saddened at the news,my condolences to Vicky and his family.rip Jimmy will always remembered with a smile on my face.

The Doktor
02-06-2015, 11:26 PM
Such sad news. Ive been lucky enough to meet Jimmy twice over the years. I remember reading his review of a car, which convinced me to go back to toy car racing. Also his fantastic photography of racing spurred me on to buy a camera and its now my second love in life.
He has had influence far beyond than what he probably knew. He will be missed. RIP Jimmy and condolences to vicky family and friends

Ema
03-06-2015, 08:06 AM
I never had the opportunity to meet Jimmy, but I had a lot of fun reading his race reports and watching his nice photos.
I also met some good friends here on oOple.

Thank you Jimmy for everything and rest in peace.

SHY
03-06-2015, 08:38 AM
He was one of the most influential and important persons in RC car history.

RC car action photography and race reports - no one ever came close.

RC car forum - best in the world.

Graphics design - a true artist.

He was a person who really gave a lot of himself for the good of others. He is one of the main reasons why 1:10 OR has had such a big resurgence.

We will miss you so much my friend! And the deepest sympathy goes to Vicky and all the rest of the family from the whole RC racing family in Norway.

I bought a $2000 camera solely due to inspiration from you mate :-)

nicksource
03-06-2015, 12:02 PM
He was a pioneer in the hobby, it takes a lot of passion to build such a strong vibrant community like Oople.

Great respect to you Jimmy. You will be deeply missed.

- Nick @ MSUK-Forum.

steelie600
03-06-2015, 06:54 PM
I have no words...

Jimmy was and will remain a legend. Although I only met him a couple of times, I can say you wouldnt want to meet a nicer bloke.

My thoughts are with Vicky and his family at this horrible time. RIP Jimmy!! You'll be missed dude!

Rebelrc
03-06-2015, 11:05 PM
A wonderful wonderful man
The most influential man in Rc with more charisma than you could estimate in acres
Such sad news
Jimmy made this geeky hobby uber cool
Jimmy helped me out no end
Banned me from Oople a few times ;-) ( my own fault!)
I loved our funny phone calls
You are already greatly missed
A true Genius
Gentleman
Comedian
Ambassador
Hero
The real people's person
The list goes on and on
Sorry if my post doesn't read straight grammatically
But I've been raising a few for you tonight
Cheers
Sleep well my beautiful friend

DanB4
04-06-2015, 07:24 AM
I always wanted to ask Jimmy, why "oOple"? What does it mean, how did he come up with it? Now I can't. :(

Does anyone know?

SHY
04-06-2015, 07:56 AM
I always wanted to ask Jimmy, why "oOple"? What does it mean, how did he come up with it? Now I can't. :(

Does anyone know?

There are some treads on it already, not so sure we really got a final answer though :D

The "oO" looks like a car from the side. That mated with people I think turned into oOple :D

As one said before - let's keep his legacy alive guys! Maybe we could have his name on the top graphics? "oOple by Jimmy Storey"?

Martin Wallace
04-06-2015, 06:12 PM

i miss you mate.

Dan

great post :cry:

Lonestar
04-06-2015, 08:24 PM
I heard about it a few days ago and I felt like something has suddenly emptied in the RC world...

RIP Jimmy. You made a difference and a whole community across the world will remember you forever.

Kindest thoughts to Vicky and all the ones he loved and survive him.

:cry:

Paul

johnnygibbon
05-06-2015, 06:48 AM
rip jimmy mate .
A great loss to all.
sadness but happy memories too

chrislee
05-06-2015, 02:18 PM
I've just been given the sad news about Jimmy.

I've been out of racing for about 8 years so not seen him in all that time but feel privileged and honoured to have known him.

It's clear that he was much loved and respected in the RC community and will be a big loss to both his real family and the RC family.

My deepest condolences to Vicky and the rest of his family.

Rest in Peace Jimmy

Chris

CHEVY
05-06-2015, 03:58 PM
Sad news I bet jimmy will be swapping stories with
Mike reedy,phill Davies and many other rc greats
LONG LIVE THE RC GREATS REST IN PEACE MATE
sorry for Vicky and family and friends

Lee1972
05-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Really is sad news.

Miggers
05-06-2015, 06:39 PM
My Lord!!!!,what a shocker.

When I got back in around ten years ago messing around with a very dog eared Mardave Meteor,Jim answered a few questions in my earliest posts,
spoke as though he'd known me for years even though we'd never met or spoke previously.

Top bloke and from what I hear,a damn good driver too.

RIP Chief.

Sincere and deepest condolences to all of us and Jim's close family.

raizor
06-06-2015, 06:26 PM
I wanted to write something but wasn't sure where, so I'll put it here...

I first met James (or 'Giz' as we all called him back then) in a Scout Hall in Southport in the Summer of 1991. We were both Amiga fanatics and Southport was home to the Destiny '91 Demo Party on that particular weekend. We were both doing graphics for different Amiga groups at the time, but a number of us would be meeting for the first time, to form our new group - Defekt!

I set up my Amiga A500 (and massive TV!) in a spare spot, next to a guy who didn't look too scary to 14 year old me. That guy happened to be Jimmy. I discreetly watched him pixelling a logo over the course of the next few hours (I still remember the logo - a green 'Asylum' logo, and needless to say it blew my socks off!). We eventually got talking and showing each other our work. Jimmy spent the rest of the day teaching me all sorts of techniques for shading and perspective, downplaying his own skill at every turn as he was always so modest. We hung out together all weekend, chatting and drawing together. There was a guy at the party who was cooking and selling pasties, and he ended up leaving a load of unsold ones behind. Come Saturday evening, I'd managed to persuade some older guys to buy me a few cans of Fosters, which ended up getting shared. Things got a little messy and a giant pasty fight ensued. I've still got a snapshot image in my mind of Jimmy staring at me open-mouthed as a pasty whizzed through the air towards his keyboard. He got me back by surrounding (and blasting) me with giant speakers when I curled up on the floor to sleep that night :D

We stayed in touch by phone and post for a good few years after that. It was a strange time back then, before the internet. We would send each other floppy disks (with our pictures and any interesting demos we'd received) and a covering letter. Over time the letters grew longer and more elaborate, and a package in the post from Jimmy always made my week. He'd often spend considerable time fixing up my artwork and returning it along with a letter explaining what he'd done and how I could use these techniques myself. When it came to drawing (especially logos), Jimmy was always my benchmark, someone who I hoped to one day be able to emulate, but knew I never really would. He was always such a creative talent, bursting with ideas and enthusiasm and so open and willing to share his wisdom and expertise. Jimmy continued to get better and better at graphics and went off to America to work for 3D Realms (I still have a copy of Duke Nukem atomic edition here that he signed for me when he came back to England). We stayed in touch over the years, usually with periods of intense catching-up after a few years of going off in different directions, doing different things. Jimmy came to stay with me for a week in the late 90s and this week I've been fondly remembering the fun we have had together. He found another great passion here, in the world of RC racing, and it was obvious from speaking to him about it that you guys really meant a lot to him.

It still doesn't feel real that he's gone :( His star burned brightly and he was a truly wonderful person that made a powerful and lasting impression on me from the first time we met. My heartfelt condolences go out to his wife Vicky and his family and friends.

I love you man and I feel honoured to have known you. Wherever you end up, I hope it's 'Ace!'

Joe

bert digler
06-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Rip bro

neallewis
06-06-2015, 11:58 PM

Does anyone know?

I believe it was a pet name for Vicky, that he had also registered the .com domain name for, so he used it.

Elation
09-06-2015, 05:28 PM
RIP jimmy, condolences to Vicky and the rest of his family

YZ-10
10-06-2015, 09:19 AM
Very sad to hear the passing of Jimmy.
He did a great job with this website we all enjoy.
Condolences to your family and friends.
Scott.

Chequered Flag Racing
10-06-2015, 10:45 AM
Service for Jimmy

This Friday folks if you wish to attend,

Quote:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>On Friday June 12th we will hold a service of celebration for Jimmy in the least conventional way possible, for the boy who certainly didn't agree with conforming to the norm.

Anyone who would like to join us in paying respect to Jimmy, celebrating his contribution and achievements, and remembering him with love and humour, please meet at Huddersfield Crematorium at 2pm on Friday 12th June 2015, to be followed by snacks and raising a toast or two at Rastrick Cricket Club from 3:30pm.

Wearing black is not essential but please wear something orange, an oOple tshirt, or both :)

http://www.oople.com/forums/showpost.php?p=914627&postcount=1

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

jeekelemental
10-06-2015, 06:55 PM
I heard this sad news late, I'm sincerely touched. RIP Jimmy.

I will wear an orange t-shirt that day.

Spencer Mulcahy
10-06-2015, 11:50 PM
I pop my head into oOple every so often after I finished racing to see what is happening, tonight is one of those nights I wish i hadn't and that i didn't find out this tragic news. Vicky I hope you can find the strength from somewhere to maybe smile through this and think of all the joy Jimmy gave so many BLOKES who played with toy cars through his web site reviews and race reports. I had the honour of meeting Jimmy and racing with Jimmy many times what a fantastic all round Geezer. RIP Mr oOple

Peakey
30-05-2016, 08:50 PM
I can't believe it's been a year all ready! Still feels like only yesterday I was talking to him 😞:cry:

TARTMAN
30-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Has it really been a year.
I wore my Jimmy T-Shirt a couple days ago, will be wearing my OOPLE shirt tomorrow in memory.
Such a sad time, such a loss, Such a shame....

RIP Jimmy..........................:(:(:(:(:(:(