PDA

View Full Version : Fan or No fan ?

Rich D
14-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Hi Guys

ive got a Nosram Matrix 2007 Evo to put in my CAT SX, however i dont have a fan for it.
How many run their speedos minus a fan ? Any problems as a result ?

Cheers

glypo
15-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Can't help with that specific speedo. The Tekin ones I run aren't designed for fan. My brother has a Losi system which he had removed the fan and it works fine too.

Due to the lower current of tenth off-road compared to say the 3 turn stuff you get in mod touring car most are happy enough.

But again, I have no experience with the LRP systems so probably not the best informed response.

Gayo
15-12-2008, 10:32 AM
What motors are you using? I used to run my Matrix Comp in a 4wd with a 5.5 (6 cells) without a fan and it seemed just fine. It was warm/hot (not crazy hot) after 10 mins runs on grippy astro.

Now I use a fan on it cause it doesn't hurt :lol:, making some cooling holes on the body helps too.

turbo_brick
15-12-2008, 12:17 PM
I've ran my matrix with everything from a 4.5 to 10.5 and it never really got too hot without the fan.

Peter

Rich D
15-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Cheers for the replies fellas much appreciated :)

tony12795
15-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi Rich,

I think the Matrix 2007 has a temperature monitoring system, which tells you the Speedo temperature after you have run it. Have a look in the manual.

As for running a fan on the CATSX I would say that you should run a fan. You have to run an under tray and because of this you don't get the best of air flows around the motor and Speedo.

Just think of it like this, When Speedos get hot they become inefficient and this generates even more heat. Catch 22. So why take the risk!

If you’re not going to run a fan then I suggest you cut the air vents out on the top of the body shell.

Tony

Rich D
15-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Cheers Tony - ive ordered a new speedo now with a fan fitted from new.

Im sure it would of been ok but like you say - not worth the risk when running a 5.5 motor.

Cheers

Adam Bailey
15-12-2008, 05:32 PM
I've never run a fan in my SX and my ESC has never been above 110 degrees

minimini
22-12-2008, 05:41 PM
I think over-heating is one issue........

but another issue .........I heard from my friend.........is that the fan on the speedo will break after heavy bumps & jumps.......& that's why some people in my country even take off the fan intentionally for off-road racing........:bored:

James
22-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi Rich,
Run the fan on the Nosram speedo, its exactly what i use.. cut an air inlet on the rhs duct (assuming its the lipo car), i'd prob leave the rhside or just make lots of small holes as you dont want stones/grit catching between spur and pinion.
Make a couple of holes at the rear for hot air to escape where the shell is vertical just infront of the wishbones..
Cya at Worksop
JH

Rich D
22-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks James - i got myself a ISTC to do the job properly :D

yes - see you there bud :)

Rich