PDA

View Full Version : video editing software

Chequered Flag Racing
28-12-2008, 10:14 AM
what do you use?

been asked to go from camcorder tapes to disc

Crazy L
28-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm using a Digital 8 cam, the software I use is Ulead VideoStudio 9, it's a good few years old now. I think's it's on v11.5 or something by now. The version I have is capable of capturing from anything from Hi8, right through to anything fully digital, so I imagine the newer one is even better.

Not a bad price either. defo cheaper than something like premier pro, especially if the odd RC dvd or family movie is all you do.

There are probably others that are just as good. wait 'tll the users of such give their opinions.

glypo
28-12-2008, 11:39 AM
I use cinelerra. VERY powerful bit of code, and free. Not sure if there is a windows version though?

JCJC
28-12-2008, 12:25 PM
There is always Windows Movie Maker, came with XP sp2, will capture & edit.
Ulead is good stuff, more capable than movie maker, be wary of early versions pinnacle studio software, people seem to have problems with it.

Chequered Flag Racing
28-12-2008, 12:45 PM
There is always Windows Movie Maker, came with XP sp2, will capture & edit.
Ulead is good stuff, more capable than movie maker, be wary of early versions pinnacle studio software, people seem to have problems with it.

Found Windows Movie Maker just need to learn how to use it now

Will look for ULead

telboy
28-12-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm having problems converting files from my JVC digicam.
They're '.mod' files. They'll play in WMV but they won't import into the windows movie maker.:eh?:

Any ideas?

JCJC
28-12-2008, 02:35 PM
.mod files are mpeg2 video and ac3 audio (dolby) movie maker may need the codecs to play these, it is getting a bit old, try changing the .mod bit to .mpg

Edit: Just looked here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308464/en-us

and this: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/21/videofilters.mspx

so recon you will have to convert (re-encode) to use movie maker (may work in the vista version?) or use another editor.

Chequered Flag Racing
28-12-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm :confused:

I now have a dvd of 1 tape that I transfered.

How do I get that to open in Windows Movie Maker so I can edit it or any other software for that matter?

While transfer was on going I've been out for a DV to PC cable and come home with a cable that fits the Camera but not the USB ports, more :confused:. It's a Belkin Firewire IEEE 1394. Doesn't have a USB plug on it and the shop said it was what I needed. :mad:

glypo
28-12-2008, 04:54 PM
1394 (Firewire) is the defacto standard for transferring DV. DV is pretty hefty (40mb/s approx) and considering USB 1.1's top speed is 12mb/s it's not hard to see how 1394 evolved in the DV world. USB 2.0 is in theory slightly faster than 1394 now though. Howevers 1394s DMA and lower CPU load (partly as a result of DMA) makes in practice probably a more practical system still for video transfer.

Most cameras (certainly those a couple of years old) don't even support USB 2.0 as a result. USB 3.0 is on its way, and miles better than anything else and with USB's superioirty in ever other market as an interface I am sure next gen HD cams etc will all be USB 3.0.

However until then you have to expect that you need a 1394 connection to do DV. If you don't have a 1394 port you need to buy one. Not the shops fault...

Chequered Flag Racing
28-12-2008, 05:45 PM
However until then you have to expect that you need a 1394 connection to do DV. If you don't have a 1394 port you need to buy one.

Cheer's Jason

what would you recommend?

glypo
28-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Anything would do the job.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139073

Something like that is cheap as chips :)

Might be best to check if you can pinch anyone else's machine to do the job for you. After all you only need to use the machine for a few mins to transfer, and once you have it stored you can edit it on your own box.

terry.sc
31-12-2008, 01:58 AM
I'm :confused:

I now have a dvd of 1 tape that I transfered.

How do I get that to open in Windows Movie Maker so I can edit it or any other software for that matter?
It depends how the DVD has been created. If it has been burned as a video DVD that plays in a DVD player you will have to use DVD ripping software to convert the video into a file format you can work with. A DVD has the files saved in a format designed for playback, you can't edit them at all.
Importing direct from the camera gives a much better quality video to edit than converting something from a DVD as it contains every single frame. Converting from a DVD there's only once every few frames stored on the DVD and the ripping software you use has to fill in all the missing pictures.

Chequered Flag Racing
02-01-2009, 03:46 PM
If you don't have a 1394 port you need to buy one.

:blush: guess what I found on my pc right next to were you plug in SD cards etc, a firewire port

time to get the camera out again and have another go

JCJC
02-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Found a handy site for moviemaker at http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/
it has a forum
There seems to be a version of movie maker for XP (2.1) and a version for Vista (6ish)

glypo
02-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Good stuff, that saves you a bit of cash anyway.

Movie Maker is dead simple to use, just update to the latest version and you should find it self explanatory.