PDA

View Full Version : Shorter slipper spring?

Monkeysmate
10-01-2016, 07:42 PM
I'm struggling to get the slipper loose enough without the not only being held on by a couple of threads.
Is there a shorter slipper spring available?
Thank you

Chris Larner
10-01-2016, 08:12 PM
Did you squeeze the spring in a pair of pliers before you fitted it. You need to grip it and squash it closed for a few seconds before it's installed. Try that as it makes the adjustment more accurate.

Monkeysmate
10-01-2016, 08:38 PM
I didn't, but I have now. It still looks to barely be threaded into any nylon.
But it is better.
Thanks.

Chalkie
10-01-2016, 11:00 PM
You can get a lower profile nut without the flange, it will give about 2mm or so more adjustment than the kit one.

Clive Loynes
11-01-2016, 02:18 PM
I use a larger diameter spring that fits over the boss on the pressure plate. Being larger in diameter it has a lower spring rate and is less sensitive to adjust.

The outer end has a stepped "washer" that locates on the thread and inside the spring. Mine is brass but it could be aluminium. I have also thought about threading the "washer" and making it a larger dia, so that I could just have a plain locknut to hold it in place. That way, when it gets hot it doesn't soften the nyloc; which results in the slipper setting backing off, making it slip even more and then get even hotter!!!!

PS If you are going to over-stress the spring by taking it to a point where it is coil bound, please wear safety goggles. If it escapes from the jaws of the pliers it will be travelling a quite a rate!

Checa
11-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Where do you get those springs from clive ?

Hulk
11-01-2016, 07:19 PM
Just use the standard spring and nut. I know it looks like there isn't much thread but I've never had any issues at all.

Craig Collinson

Allan1875
11-01-2016, 07:52 PM
Just use the standard spring and nut. I know it looks like there isn't much thread but I've never had any issues at all.

Craig Collinson

Just to echo Craig, I am also using the standard kit spring and nut.

Monkeysmate
11-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Tim

mattybucks
11-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Tighten the slipper fully and leave it for an hour or two. No need to compress with pliers.

Clive Loynes
11-01-2016, 10:21 PM
Where do you get those springs from clive ?

Lee Springs Ltd

Part Number: LC 067G 01 M