PDA

View Full Version : Viewfinder visible area

Danosborne6661
07-01-2009, 02:32 PM
I have a Nikon D70 which I most commonly use with a 1.8 50mm Lens, I've always been fine with it but the other day I had a go on a friends Canon with a 2.8 70 - 300mm Lens.

Thorough his viewfinder on his Canon everything was so much bigger, by that I mean not having more zoom (Which it obviously had anyway being a longer lens) but by the actual size through the view finder, it was like changing your regular TV to a 32" TV or something, it really looked amazing.

From what I could imagine I gathered this was to do with the body not the actual lens. The D70 is a oldish camera now so I thought it could be that? Has anyone tried the D60 and noticed it has a larger visible area through the viewfinder? Or is it a 'Canon' thing and am I going to get tempted to sell up D70 with all its lenses to go Canon? :eh?:

mole2k
07-01-2009, 04:00 PM
It depends on the camera model, look through a 5D viewfinder then through a 350d viewfinder and notice the difference. Generally the more expensive camera's have larger viewfinders as they have. The Nikon D3 would have a similar sized viewfinder to the 5D im sure.

It really depends on what canon model you used but there will be camera's in the nikon range have similar sized viewfinders.

jimmy
07-01-2009, 04:01 PM
there's some viewfinder comparisons on this site: http://www.photolectic.com/reviews/dslr/dslr-viewfinder-size/coverage-comparison.html

it's down to the camera and how much you spend. The d60 might be better than the d70 in some/many ways but it's aimed at a lower end than the d70 was when it was released. The d90 is really the current successor to the d70.

I have my d70 still and like you was impressed when I had a play with a canon (1dmk2) due to the large and clear viewfinder among other things - but i now have a nikon d3 which is even better :lol:
At the end of the day my mate takes better photos with his old D70 than I could ever hope to with any camera:)

Danosborne6661
07-01-2009, 05:00 PM
OK good to hear, I'm just finding out from the person what camera he has.
Cheers for the link Jimmy, looks like just what I'm after. Now it's just working out what these digits mean!

On the details on the page which means the view finder size? I'm guessing its the effective size but let me know :thumbsup: