PDA

View Full Version : Noob motor question

Dadio
25-02-2016, 01:14 AM
Hi I'm sorry if this has been asked before .
I have a TR02V2 RTR as my first toe dip back into 1/10 buggys after 30 years and I'm really enjoying it but i'm a little confused over the motor's spec ,it's the absima Thrust 10T but i read a review that suggested it was a 380 motor in a 540 sized can ,is this correct ?
The main reason i'm asking is that i'm building a second car to maybe try some modest track racing at the SHRCCC near Farnborough ,its a TC02 or Lupuz or Mad monkey depending on what you want to call it , i know it wont be up there with the big boys but it should be better than the TR02V2 on a high grip track ,any way I'm at the point of getting a motor and esc for it and I've been looking at the Turnigy TrackStar motors and esc's as they are on budget for me but now I'm not sure what motor to get ,I'm looking at getting the ROAR approved ones and probably the 80amp esc but don't know what motor to get ,I'd like to get one thats a little quicker than the one in the TRO2V2 but is a 10t TrackStar motor the same or way better than the Thrust 10t ,or would i be better of with a different motor of similar budget ?
I just can't justify spending 80 quid on a motor so please bear that in mind with suggestions .
thanks for any help .

Ashlandchris
25-02-2016, 07:40 AM
I'm pretty sure the thrust 10t is a brushed motor. I had one in my team c Jekyll and it was fine.Any of the brushless track star will be quick - 13.5t will be nice and smooth with plenty of speed.
I still use a 13.5 turn track star in my current yokomo but with an ESC That I can add a bit of boost (top speed on straights) and it easily keeps up with much faster motors.

There are lots of good deals out there and the track star stuff hasn't caused me any probs in my 3 cars I have for my 3 youngsters. I use speed passion and you can get a motor ESC combo for ~£60 which might be another option?

Clive Loynes
25-02-2016, 09:40 AM
I started with the Lupuz and I have continuously modified it to create a high grip buggy which looks as shown on the attached. So there is an upgrade path to do what you want to.

I use a Trackstar 120A ESC which has even withstood its idiot owner connecting the battery the wrong way around such that the solder melted on the connector and the wire fell of the ESC!

Indoors I use a Hacker 10.5 motor which is ROAR approved but not BRCA. It is fantastic. I still have it on blinky mode and it is very quick.

Dadio
25-02-2016, 10:44 AM
I'm pretty sure the thrust 10t is a brushed motor. I had one in my team c Jekyll and it was fine.Any of the brushless track star will be quick - 13.5t will be nice and smooth with plenty of speed.
I still use a 13.5 turn track star in my current yokomo but with an ESC That I can add a bit of boost (top speed on straights) and it easily keeps up with much faster motors.

There are lots of good deals out there and the track star stuff hasn't caused me any probs in my 3 cars I have for my 3 youngsters. I use speed passion and you can get a motor ESC combo for ~£60 which might be another option?

The stock RTR motor is brushless ,three wire's to it ,i fly heli's as well so i'm sure on that score ,I'm just not sure that its a genuine 540 size as its been described as a 380 in a 540 can .
Anyway thanks for the advise Guy's I'll try the 13.5 Trackstar or have a look for a speed passion but they all seemed dearer when I looked.
Would you recomend the 80 amp esc or just go future proof and get a 120 amp ? I guess if i get the 80 amp i could always swap it into the TR02V2 at a later date if i want to go to the 120 ,I hate the stock RTR esc ,the throttle responce is too "ON or OFF" and the same for the break so it will have to go eventually as will the RTR transmitter ,I'm used to end point and expo adjustments etc from heli's and find the RTR tx is a bit primative but that can wait till next month .

Ashlandchris
25-02-2016, 10:52 PM
Sorry, my mistake - my sons was a thrust Eco.
Looking on Absima website the thrust 10t looks ok, and it comes in at approx £40 so isn't a cheap one
Nothing I can find to suggest it is a 380?

Dadio
25-02-2016, 11:32 PM
Cool, thanks , I was just going by what I read in a review ,I just have nothing to compare it to that was made in this centuary , my last experience as I said was 30 years ago ,back then I knew where I was with motors but Deamon Tweaks 27HT motors seem to no longer be in the shop's lol .

Ashlandchris
26-02-2016, 07:19 AM
I'm the same. Last had RC in 1986 so when I came back last year, everything was quicker than back then.
A 10t brushless will be quick. Don't know if it sensored or not, but that might be a consideration for your next motor (sensor makes it smoother under acceleration) but I had an unsensored 14t Orion motor and it was superb, so there are exceptions to the rule

Dadio
26-02-2016, 12:18 PM
Well I've ordered the Trackstar 13.5t and 80amp esc (sensored) combo so I'll see how that goes ,i also ordered a 26t pinion to try , I think I'm right in thinking that the 13.5T will be lower rpm ,higher torqu than the 10T that came with the RTR set so it will take higher gearing , I'm slowly building up a selection(21t 24t and 26t) of pinions but decided against getting a cheap box set from China as they might be made of cheese ;) ,has anybody got a recomendation for gearing for a 13.5t in a tc02 ?
Thing's really have changed over 30 year's ,when I first got the TR02V2 I invited my friend to join me with his vintage 4x4 car ,his had a mod class brushed vintage motor so no slouch in its day and he was gob smacked by how fast it was and how long it ran on one battery ,I got over half an hour run time and he went through 6 nicad's in that time ,his battery's were none too fresh but it was night and day different .He went out and baught a Kyoshio RB6 ready set almost straight away ! its been a real blast from the past going out bashing with our two new cars and we both fancy trying some light track racing but we both have familys and low budgets so its just for fun and i don't expect to be on a podium ....ever :)

Dadio
02-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Well the motor and esc arrived yesterday and it was a smooth intall appart from soldering the wires to the esc ,I needed 2 soldering irons to get the heat needed ! other than that it was easy to set up .
The stock setup is really very usable compared to the one in the TR02V2 RTR package ,the break's are beutiffully progressive and throttle smoth and unfaltering .The 26 tooth pinion on the 13.5T motor is a little slow however and is probably delivering the same speed as the TR02V2 RTR 10T motor with the stock 21 tooth pinion ,so I'm thinking of trying a 28 or 29 tooth and see how it goes .
Thanks for the advise guys .

Clive Loynes
02-03-2016, 12:37 PM
I run my 10.5T motor on 29/76 and it flies, even in blinky mode.

I'm usually on 21/76 on my 6.5T motor

The thing is to creep up on it from the cool side, so gradually increase the pinion until the motor temperature becomes an issue. If you over heat a motor just once it may never give the same performance again.

Dadio
04-03-2016, 11:02 AM
Thanks Clive ,its cool as a quecumber at 26//80 and i'll keep an eye on it when i put the 29t pinion on it ,i don't have any other spur gears yet to try ,i have a digital laser pointer type thermometer so i can keep an eye on it .
As yet going 29/76 with the 10.5T in myTR02V2 would be out of my tree fast ! I can crash pretty well at lower speeds as it is ,i'm thinking of going to the local track soon ,i'm just not sure if i'll just leave it to spectating or weather to just jump in and embarise myself and get it over with .

Clive Loynes
04-03-2016, 01:27 PM
In at the deep end Dadio!

Go have some fun. :thumbsup:

You can watch for ever and it will not be as instructive as taking the plunge just once!

I would just say that I had my own motor bike at 5 years old, and raced karts from the age of 12. I currently take part in on-line car racing sims. My brother also raced FF2000 and we both agree that RC car racing is the most difficult thing we have ever tried!

We are both awful at it too.

Dadio
04-03-2016, 04:09 PM
You want to try flying 3d micro heli's ! at least with cars I don't need to learn to fly them upside down and remember whats left and right etc ,cars don't run out of sky either :woot:
I'll take your advice again and give it a go soon :thumbsup:

Dadio
19-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Little update ,i got a programming card and a Trackstar 10.5T motor and try'd some boost ,I don't think I'm ready so back to blinky for me ,i could barely keep it in a straight line :D