PDA

View Full Version : BT Broadband speed/laptop setup help

big air
14-01-2009, 09:44 PM
:woot:Just changed to bt broadband and the claim up to 8mbps connection with the home hub? they said mine would be about 5.5mbps just tested it as it feels slow and its 700k :o using wifi on the laptop?
am i doing something wrong its a new lappy as well so dont know if ive got something turned down,
i know nowt about computers i can just about get on oople :p
ive also got the BT togo mobile internet phone thingy and can't get that to work either

ashleyb4
14-01-2009, 09:49 PM
try removing the bell wire out of your man bt phone plug its the orange wire in terminal 2. Mine is slow every so often but only for a few seconds then its back up to 3 or 4 mb. It might also be your wireless transfer rate i hated mine so got a big wire.

A

big air
14-01-2009, 10:01 PM
try removing the bell wire out of your man bt phone plug its the orange wire in terminal 2. Mine is slow every so often but only for a few seconds then its back up to 3 or 4 mb. It might also be your wireless transfer rate i hated mine so got a big wire.

A

it might be the hub they did send me an older version white one,
the newer black one is getting sent out

ashleyb4
14-01-2009, 10:14 PM
o still sounds odd the black one didnt make any diffrence to my speed.

A

dave-p
14-01-2009, 11:21 PM
ashley i am on bt and thinking back i had the same trouble and read the small print in the setup leaflet it says to switch the hub on and leave for an hour or so for the hub to find the shortest route to the source feed, leave your ethenet cable un coupled and dont use the laptop, my hub reading was 1.6 but after i did as per instruction leaflet it shot up to 6.4 and has been great ever since. good luck.

showtime
15-01-2009, 07:30 AM
my BT has been pretty much faultless for the last 3 years, not bad speed either

http://www.speedtest.net/result/390675482.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Southwell
15-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Are you plugged into the master socket? If you take the faceplate off try plugging into the test socket, it bypasses the bell wire and stuff i believe, if that gives you a big jump in speed then just remove the bell wire and plug in as normal.
Also how far are you from the exchange?

big air
15-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Are you plugged into the master socket? If you take the faceplate off try plugging into the test socket, it bypasses the bell wire and stuff i believe, if that gives you a big jump in speed then just remove the bell wire and plug in as normal.
Also how far are you from the exchange?

so if i unscrew the plate the should be another socket behind it right?
whats the bell wire colour, at the minute i have an ADSL filter and my hub plugged in to that:eh?:

JCJC
15-01-2009, 12:42 PM
can you plug an ethernet cable into the home hub & the laptop, see what the speeds are without wifi ?

On Windows there is a little internet icon in the bottom right hand corner (like a monitor radiating), hover over or right click for status, should show speed (twix you & the hub) and strength.

(I am not convinced on this bell wire thing - Ash?)

Southwell
15-01-2009, 01:01 PM
so if i unscrew the plate the should be another socket behind it right?
whats the bell wire colour, at the minute i have an ADSL filter and my hub plugged in to that:eh?:

Yeah a test socket. Depends on how old the house is, old homes have different wires.

Also if you are far from your exchange your going to get rubbish speeds no matter what you do.