PDA

View Full Version : Tamiya Madcap

qatmix
30-01-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm restoring a Madcap that I got in a box of bits atm. Obviously its to run (whats the point of RC if its to sit on a shelf) ;) . When they were racing at my club I never paid much attention to them as I raced 4wd. (although I do remeber them being very tough and quick at the time).

Did anyone here race them, and have any particualar pointers on what upgrades / tricks and tips to do when building it?

At the moment the only change to basic spec will be bearings and the metal motor plate (I intend to run 13 - 17t motors in it). It still has the friction dampers.

Cheers

terry.sc
30-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Take a look at the Radio Race Car article on building a replica of Jamie Booths Astute http://www.tamiyaclub.com/article.asp?id=94 The first thing you did was fit Madcap suspension.

Matisse
30-01-2009, 09:03 PM
just sold my restored 'cap. i'd love to have built the booth version, but thats kinda of an astute/madcap hybrid.

If you're going to run motors that hot, def go for the TTC gear set, invaluable as the astute/cap diff can be a bit dodgy at times. if not, make sure you get the metal gear plate.

get some UJ's, better shocks, and 2.2 sized wheels as i'm fairly sure the stock wheels are 1.9, limiting your choice of tyres.

I also went for adjustable turnbuckles to replace the stock plastic arms.

the front hubs are a bit loose in the arms, but a 3mm washer sorts this out nicely.

can't think of anything else at the mo, if i do i'll let you know.

mat

quincey
30-01-2009, 09:13 PM
associated stealth box and terraschorcher uj's is what i fitted,also a schumacher cougar 2 front shockmount fits if you cut the bottom section off just below the camber points,astute rear shock mount aids shock postions also use astute/avante alloy wing mounts get you a better wing mount,astute alloy gear box is a must if you retain the std box,i used tamiya hicaps shocks all round on mine but mostmodern shocks will be fine. apart from that it was a good car.

qatmix
30-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Cheers Guys

I'll post progress later

cjm_2008
30-01-2009, 10:44 PM
I just happen to know someone with a new-in-box TTC gear set that might be surplus to requirements ;)

qatmix
31-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Well if its cheap then I might be interested

qatmix
01-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Well its all up and running :)

After delving through my garage I've also managed to get some oil shocks on it (tamiya front, traxxas rear).. popped in a 19t motor seems quite fast (although the motor is pretty used).

i've re-spraying the shell now and will try to tidy it up.. Hopefully will have a race indoors on Thursday :)

qatmix
01-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Will modern buggy wheels just fit onto the madcap? If I'm going to race indoors it might be usefull to get some cheapo minipins

cjm_2008
02-02-2009, 07:31 AM
RPM used to do a 2.2 five spoke wheel set - I don't know if there's many around now mind. the rear hexes are the same size as the schumacher hex.

FERRETTI
02-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Will modern buggy wheels just fit onto the madcap? If I'm going to race indoors it might be usefull to get some cheapo minipins

Cough Dyna Storm cough;)

qatmix
02-02-2009, 01:49 PM
So Dynastorm ones will fit? Or will just about every other 2wd buggy wheels work?

Matisse
02-02-2009, 02:48 PM
The issue is the bearing sizes are different for the AE and losi cars, but as long as the rears are hex drive, you should be ok.

The only prob with tamiya wheels is that if you glue the tyres on , trying to remove them kinda screws with the plastic.

qatmix
03-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Another question, would the Astute / Super asute Carbon shock mounts just fit onto the car without any mods? (maybe a spacer / washer etc).

I'm only asking as they both seem rather soft..

cjm_2008
03-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Another question, would the Astute / Super asute Carbon shock mounts just fit onto the car without any mods? (maybe a spacer / washer etc).

I'm only asking as they both seem rather soft..

yes. the steering geometries of the astute & madcap are practically identical. but you'll need to use bushes to mount the shocks.

qatmix
05-02-2009, 11:52 PM
I raced the Madcap tonight against a field of mostly classic 2wd's (meteors, Cougar 2000's) and despite the ancient 19t motor cogging, and the fact i ran it with its original tyres (no inserts / or glue) I came 2nd (the guy who won had a brushless B4).

Nice :)

I've been looking at the way the steering works, and I have an Idea how to get rid of the slop So that will be my mini project for the week ;)

cjm_2008
06-02-2009, 10:59 AM
I raced the Madcap tonight against a field of mostly classic 2wd's (meteors, Cougar 2000's) and despite the ancient 19t motor cogging, and the fact i ran it with its original tyres (no inserts / or glue) I came 2nd (the guy who won had a brushless B4).

Nice :)

I've been looking at the way the steering works, and I have an Idea how to get rid of the slop So that will be my mini project for the week ;)

simples - get rid of that stupid bit of coat hanger that comes as standard.