PDA

View Full Version : Painting letters white

JustARcFan
31-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Hello,

I am looking for the easiest way to color the letters white on tires.

For example the Bridgestone text on the optima tires.

Any idea?

thanks

Garry Driffill
31-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Tipex? :lol:

JustARcFan
31-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Not really i good idea I think? :confused:

GRIFF55
31-01-2009, 07:33 PM
tyrepen from a motor factors?? can get em for classics i think?

JustARcFan
31-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Where can I get that?

Thanks

dimblum
31-01-2009, 08:16 PM
I have done this many times for my vintage builds. It's easier if you are painting larger letters that have a small border of rubber around them rather than paint raised lettering.

For large letters with a rubber border: use polycarbonate paint (white etc). Dip a tiny phillips head screwdriver into the paint and dab it inside the letter. The paint will release from the screwdriver tip and start to fill into the letter [kind of like filling a pool with water]. Do this for each letter.. You can use the edge of an x-acto blade to scrape away any paint that overflowed outside the letter.

For small letters raised from the tire: use the same polycarbonate paint, except use a -drybrush- technique to paint them carefully with a brush. To drybrush; you will want to dip a very small brush into the paint and wipe most of it away on a paper plate etc. Do this until only a tiny bit of paint remains on the brush. Now lightly brush it across the raised letters. The tacky paint remaining on the brush will rub off onto the letters for a clean professional finish... You will need to do this several times to complete all of the lettering, but it will looks really nice when you are done.

Hope this helps.

[Here is a sample of large letters I did using the 'screwdriver' technique]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll135/DImblum/Tire.jpg

kyosho_kid
31-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Or you could buy the pen from ebay with 0.5mm tip for about 1.40 and do it the easy way like i have. Used it on about 3 cars so far all spot on (mostly on Kyosho tyres too highlighting the sand super and bridgestone words)
Cheers

Team No Idea
31-03-2009, 10:06 AM
We sell Tyreart pens in various colours, £4.99 each,
should be available from most motorbike shops.:thumbsup:

kyosho_kid
01-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Im sure i only paid £5 for 2 with postage!.
Cheers

Gibsy
04-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Halfords sell them