PDA

View Full Version : Lead plates for Lipo... a Q?

TryHard
03-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Evening all,

Right I have question, and would like to gauge some interest....

I have a load of lead flashing sitting in front of me, and am willing to make it up into nicely sized plates to fit a current 2wd buggy (B4/XXX/RB5 etc). Dimensions would 48mmx210mmx2mm, so would fit snug width wise, and be overlength on purpose so you could trim it down too the right size for said buggy, and have little left over. (It's easily cut with a pair of scissors :) )
I made one up this afternoon, and it weighed near as dammit 200g.

Now my Q's are....
a) Is there any interest? (thinking that as LiPo is now legal for nationals next year there might be)
b) how much would people be willing to spend on it? I have a price in my head, but want to check first, and obviously P&P would need to be covered! (although Robfo has offered to take a load up with him for the March worksop if needed).

If there's enough interest and people are willing to buy them, then I'll put a post in the for sale thread. I think I have enough for about 25 odd plates.

Cheers
Ed

Mike Hudson
03-02-2009, 08:09 PM
I've seen quite a few people already offering similar service to this on here (oople) and some at clubs who have rolls of the stuff etc, always good to know theres plenty of people around offering it up for people who may want it :) good luck with the sales!

jono83
03-02-2009, 08:13 PM
lol i still have about 10kg of the stuff lying around !!!

Medders
03-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Now we know who has been going around ripping the lead flashings of roofs :o

jono83
03-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Now we know who has been going around ripping the lead flashings of roofs :o
lol i aint no pikey :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

TryHard
03-02-2009, 08:33 PM
haha... not quite... found this under the work bench in my (departed) grandad's garage... knowing how expensive lead is now, grabbed it before my dad did :p

frogger
03-02-2009, 08:35 PM
I've been selling lead plates for about a year on here. I do long plates for stick packs and squares for saddles. Mine goes for £7 for one car and then discounts the more you buy. I don't think there is much of a market left for them as the later cars are now designed for lipo (talking of the CAT SX here and other future cars) so do not require lead plates as compensation.

johnnyboy
03-02-2009, 08:39 PM
I had made them in the past, but the latest trend is for no weight set ups. Both A/E and Kyosho have new "LiPo" sets ups with no added weight.

mark christopher
03-02-2009, 09:34 PM
to finish them off put them in stick pak heat shrink of your chosen colour!

Spencer Mulcahy
03-02-2009, 09:51 PM
I dont think there will be a market for it, more trouble than its worth for you but you never know. I was giving it away at the last Bury indoor how daft am I.:lol:

MRD
03-02-2009, 10:23 PM
I stuck a load of weights to the Lipo packs in my 501x to bring it up to nimh weight thinking it would help the grip on the polished floor sections but all it seemed to do was make the back end swing out and increase the tyre wear, so I took all the weights off and set it up with softer rear springs and thinner oil and it seems to be alot better. Strangely with the lipos and no weights the car is still 50g over the min weight.

frogger
04-02-2009, 09:17 AM
The CAT SX is also over the minimum weight limit without lead weight. There are some cars that I felt really needed weight (such as the B44) and you may still sell a few.

As Mark says, shrink wrapping them makes them look nice and they tend to stick better to things.

lucidcreation
06-02-2009, 11:30 AM
I had made them in the past, but the latest trend is for no weight set ups. Both A/E and Kyosho have new "LiPo" sets ups with no added weight.

Do you have these setups?

Mike Hudson
06-02-2009, 11:37 AM
the B4 definately needs a fair bit of extra weight to bring it over the minimum brca legal weight, I have to run mine with a lead plate always as its over 100g underweight otherwise