PDA

View Full Version : xx4we any hopups

footey
09-01-2007, 12:33 PM
hi if i get a xx4we new from a shop is there any hopups i need to get at the same time before i build it and then find out i need somthing cheers for the help

Swiss
09-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Excellent straight out of box. Will need some differant shock springs, silvers at front and reds on the rear. Some people run the one way in the front. and you will want to change the front belt from a blue to the green one.

footey
09-01-2007, 01:28 PM
thanks for the advice what about titanium turnbukles and white cups are they a advantage

jimmy
09-01-2007, 01:31 PM
the stock turnbuckles pull out SO easy, the threads are naff, I touched something at tiverton and it ruined my best run.

cabbynate
09-01-2007, 01:45 PM
I just posted these under the X-5 thread:
http://www.penguinrc.com/products/losi.html
Looks like a good idea to me.

footey
09-01-2007, 01:48 PM
swiss as said change the front belt to green should i change all the belts

cabbynate
09-01-2007, 01:51 PM
swiss as said change the front belt to green should i change all the belts
The two other belts should already be the heavy duty green ones.

cmgreen
09-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Titanium Layshafts from 1hg.com.

Dont think any one else is running these except me.

jimmy
09-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Can you actually buy them ? I thought HG was no more ? I tried to buy them ages ago and got nowhere

cmgreen
09-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Got mine in 1999, had 3 xx-4 since then. I think they reall make the transmission even better on the xx-4.

Barry Williams
09-01-2007, 03:07 PM
I would get the alloy motor clamp for definate & try to get a set of the outdrive savers, thats the only change done to my sons car & both seem very worthwhile.

Swiss
09-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I would get the alloy motor clamp for definate & try to get a set of the outdrive savers, thats the only change done to my sons car & both seem very worthwhile.

The turnbuckles that come with the kit are titanium. Regarding the white cups, I will be investing in some very soon but that's because the old ones are a little tired, (full year of nationals/regionals and euro's). I use the cups out of the kit on the front and the very original cups on the back, (not sure if you can still get these). As I had a little trouble with the rear turnbuckle cups breaking. I replaced the rear diff halfs with the steel ones, and used a Schumacher thrust race in the rear diff, this prelongs the life of the diff. Yes an alloy motor clamp is worth the investment, also I use the original motor plate as the one out of the kit, (off centre) I found leaves the motor slightly pretruding from the underside of the chassis, which can cause damage to the motor off the jumps. This is a personal choice, as my racing colleague uses the off centre motor plate with no trouble at all.

jimmy
09-01-2007, 04:01 PM
The stock turnbuckles might be titanium, but its a special blend of titanium called "cheese titanium", specially developed to bend at the first impact I think. contains approx 20% real cheddar. The worst thing is the threads though, I think a lot of people replace these turnbuckles with some lunsford items

Swiss
09-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Never had one bend myself....(that is the original ones) I don't think any rc parts labelled as titanium are 100% titanium.. The maching costs would be tremendous! Also I run the orginal ones on the XXXCR and haven't had any of these bend.

losixxx
09-01-2007, 04:11 PM
guess your just an animal then jimmy :D

one-way is a good hop-up, think the apex/dcracing/lesro one is better than the losi one.
b2 front brace on my car saved me a few wish bones.
also the x-factory front hub screw's seem to have cured the issue with front wishbones breaking.

jimmy
09-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Must be! haha
I think it was you who told me about the rod ends pulling off easily when it happened at tiverton!

footey
09-01-2007, 04:45 PM
silly question what does the alloy motor clamp give me compared to the standard one

jimmy
09-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Stops the motor moving :) the stock plastic one simply doesn't - so I am told!

FifteenthNeo
09-01-2007, 05:11 PM
guess your just an animal then jimmy :D

one-way is a good hop-up, think the apex/dcracing/lesro one is better than the losi one.
b2 front brace on my car saved me a few wish bones.
also the x-factory front hub screw's seem to have cured the issue with front wishbones breaking.

I suppose running the B2 brace AND the X-Factory hubs screws wont hurt will it?

Has anyone tried the different shock tower braces that are about?

tyreman
09-01-2007, 07:01 PM
If youv'e got a spare XXX front brace that will do the job, rather than buy a B2/3 one.

andy110m
09-01-2007, 10:57 PM
I've bought some front CVD's. I'm told the bearings need replacing for a different size. Can anyone confirm this and even better give me the size of the required ones, are they the same as the rears?

barnyard
10-01-2007, 12:00 AM
you are correct the bearings are the same as those used for the rear hubs and not the ones used for the original driveshafts.

XXXCRRacer
10-01-2007, 04:54 AM
On my XX4 I run the Associated B2 front brace. Also I run titanium ball studs. An 86 spur gear. And a custom billet Motor clamp. And I run the green belt up front instead of the blue one. And CVD's up front instead of Universals.

cabbynate
10-01-2007, 06:09 AM
The stock turnbuckles might be titanium, but its a special blend of titanium called "cheese titanium", specially developed to bend at the first impact I think. contains approx 20% real cheddar. The worst thing is the threads though, I think a lot of people replace these turnbuckles with some lunsford items

Lonsford makes the turnbuckles for Losi. If you compare the authentic Lunsfords to the Losi's you will see that the Losi's have longer threads. They always break/bend in the threads. The kit turnbuckles are also to short. That's part of the reason they pull out so easy. Lunsford makes them to Losi's specs and size....... Gotta blame this one on Losi.

cmgreen
10-01-2007, 08:02 AM
On my XX4 I run the Associated B2 front brace. Also I run titanium ball studs. An 86 spur gear. And a custom billet Motor clamp. And I run the green belt up front instead of the blue one. And CVD's up front instead of Universals.

Where did you get you titanium ball studs from?

Also DMS RACING sell titanium layshafts for xx-4 pat number tir9535

cabbynate
13-01-2007, 02:17 PM
here ya go mate's........;)

cutting edge
13-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Nice Shock tower stiffening plates are they the Fibre-Lyte plates
as seen on there website £8.80 each ????????

cabbynate
13-01-2007, 05:52 PM
I think it's woven carbon fiber. Not sure what Fiber Lite is.. Sorry

FifteenthNeo
13-01-2007, 06:08 PM
I think it's woven carbon fiber. Not sure what Fiber Lite is.. Sorry

Looks like those were made by Penguin RC http://www.penguinrc.com/products/losi.html#xx4

cabbynate
13-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Looks like those were made by Penguin RC http://www.penguinrc.com/products/losi.html#xx4
They are.;)

cutting edge
13-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Fibre-lyte is a uk company that makes these sort of things

http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/

Very good company they made the Andy East SD Chassie that won him the British TC championship 2 years ago i think it was .................

cabbynate
13-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Fibre-lyte is a uk company that makes these sort of things

http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/

Very good company they made the Andy East SD Chassie that won him the British TC championship 2 years ago i think it was .................
Taking a look I see they make just about everything in carbon fiber.
Very nice....

cmgreen
14-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Fybre lyte are a excellent company, they made me a one off Boss-cat tub chassis, £80 ten years ago, but it was well worth it back then.

super__dan
14-01-2007, 10:27 PM
I agree with Jimmy, the Losi TI buckles are crap. They do bend so much more easily than pucka Lunsford ones, also if you use even a medium/long link on the rear you have only a couple of threads inside.

You must change the front UJ's to CVD's or LCD's as the UJ's can't take any decent power.

4times
17-01-2007, 03:30 PM
will the associated b4 or b3 turnbuckles fit the xx4?

XXXCRRacer
21-01-2007, 01:56 AM
Here is my hopup. Enjoy!http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/fastmustangs1/100_1417.jpg