PDA

View Full Version : Budget 2wd Competition buggy?

Losi XXT-CR
09-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Wanting to get back into racing. Not sure what entry level options there are these days. Lots of brands I’ve not really heard of or have experience of.

A few years back people pointed me at the Ansmann Mad Rat. Which I believe was related to a Team C buggy. But it seems Ansmann are no longer in the RC game and I’ve not really seen many Team C models in stock either. Which doesn’t inspire confidence in sustainable parts supplies.

I’m not looking for a race winner exactly. Just something capable, durable and with good parts supply. And without the bank balance breaking entry price. Happy to upgrade parts as I get back into racing.

Quite interested in the mid motor mounted setups. But this isn’t a necessity.

Doovde
09-12-2017, 02:34 PM
Hotbodies D216 can be bought new for £155 from most reputable online model shops, half the regulars at my local track bought themselves one out of curiosity and since then its basically been nothing but hotbodies on the track as they are a really nice driving car (if not a bit softly sprung for high grip carpet track).Parts are easily available should they be needed, but though our testing there is no real problem part other than the idler gear,t you can get an alloy version which eliminates the problem. It is however a kit, so you will need motor/esc/radio etc

If you want second hand, the price of 22 3.0's have dropped significantly since the 4.0 came out, i've seen examples of rolling chassis with significant monies worth of option parts sell for as little as £110. I've had one for over a year, running 10.5 on carpet and never broken it, super tough car even for bashing.

(off)roadrunner
09-12-2017, 02:35 PM
Best way of deciding on a new car is to visit your local club or the club which you will be using the most. Have a look at what is popular with the guys running there. That way you have plenty of knowledge and usually spares available.

Cant really go wrong with any of the big brands. Team Associated, PRracing, schumacher, yokomo,xray etc.

Some good deals around on PR kits with the new car coming out.

brooksy
09-12-2017, 03:09 PM
Pr v3 fm. Check out inside line models web page. Solid car,plenty of spares and the parts are very cheap compared to most brands. They’re bringing a new Type R V3 out soon so you may get one cheap(er).

cjm_2008
09-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Here's a shout out to an often overlooked car - the DEX210.

Tough as old boots.

Ashlandchris
09-12-2017, 08:23 PM
Here's a shout out to an often overlooked car - the DEX210.

Tough as old boots.

Just as well, don’t think spares are easy to come by?

Mash Potato
09-12-2017, 08:41 PM
The mad rat was rear motor. The mad monkey is a mid motor version. I have a mad monkey I’d sell very cheap. Team C parts are readily available.

Wanting to get back into racing. Not sure what entry level options there are these days. Lots of brands I’ve not really heard of or have experience of.

A few years back people pointed me at the Ansmann Mad Rat. Which I believe was related to a Team C buggy. But it seems Ansmann are no longer in the RC game and I’ve not really seen many Team C models in stock either. Which doesn’t inspire confidence in sustainable parts supplies.

I’m not looking for a race winner exactly. Just something capable, durable and with good parts supply. And without the bank balance breaking entry price. Happy to upgrade parts as I get back into racing.

Losi XXT-CR
10-12-2017, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the responses. Really liking the look of the Hotbodies D216. And it’s not one I was familiar with at all.

Paddyeds
10-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Pr racing, cracking cars, really strong, reasonable prices for spares, not had to wait for any spares i have needed,

pumbaa
11-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Pr racing, cracking cars, really strong, reasonable prices for spares, not had to wait for any spares i have needed,

You could do a lot worse than follow this advice. There are several used on eBay at the moment that might be worth a look, mostly with the imminent release of the new 2018 Model and Type R.

As suggested previously, definitely worth checking out what is popular at the venue you're likely to race at most. I've found as a fellow returnee the knowledge and support of fellow racers is invaluable, and was a major factor in me buying a PR.

adey
11-12-2017, 08:13 AM
My choice would be the hot bodies d216 or the pr s1v3 club racer car. I have the d216 and it’s good an the slippy tracks and surprisingly good on the carpet too. You will need the alloy idler for it ( get the hb) one and you will be good. The pr is a great little car and setups and advice are on hand from kev Lee at inside line models. He knows that car and is always helpful. Two cheap good cars.

fil9144
11-12-2017, 08:58 AM

I would stick with your big brands Kyosho and team associated / X-ray Mike Parker at number 5 Rc does kits and spares and also does a deal on a nice pro painted shell too 👍.
My advice if buying 2nd hand be carful as sometimes the used cars need a lot parts replacing just though wear and tear.

Dave Dodd
11-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Best way of deciding on a new car is to visit your local club or the club which you will be using the most. Have a look at what is popular with the guys running there. That way you have plenty of knowledge and usually spares available.

Best answer so far and cheaper in the long run..

Paddyeds
11-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Best answer so far and cheaper in the long run..
I would agree with this statement also, down at Oswestry a lot of people run PR and I have never had to cut short a meeting through not being able to source a spare part from another racer as yet.

to put it into perspective, I have never heard of or seen a Hotbodies D216, maybe they are really popular at other venues

Checa
11-12-2017, 08:14 PM
I have 2 PR V3 FM’s for sale £140 each

Neil Skull
13-12-2017, 02:20 PM
A second hand pro car is always a good option as always last year models being sold cheap,(stick to big names like asso or KYO or Schu etc,) or if you want new ready to run then we sell the Kyosho Rb6.6 (same as latest pro model) with mid motor layout. parts are not as robust as the pro kit but can be easliy replaced with the pro parts if you break anything. or i have seen a few left in shops of the rb6 readyset.

TheBinarySheep
16-01-2018, 05:42 PM
I asked a similar questions last year. Ended up buying a used Schumacher Cougar KF2 SE for £125. Came with an ESC and servo which helped keep my budget lot.