Had a wee update on the Clubs site.....
http://www.cloghervalleymcc.co.uk/

eda
15-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Looking good. :thumbsup:

Like the pics - especially my car :D

mole2k
15-02-2009, 05:12 PM
You should come race more often, then there might be more pictures of it!

jimlee
19-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Racing tonight (19th) from 7.30......

eda
19-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Team Drop Inn Racing are heading your way on 12th March - hope you are racing that night?? Will there be jumps? 6-8 plan to travel.
You guys are more than welcome to Craigavon on 18th March too by the way.

You should come race more often, then there might be more pictures of it!

mole2k
19-02-2009, 05:29 PM
The jumps would be due out the week before on the 5th, could see about having that changed if you wanted them out. I'm always up for getting them out more often!

jimlee
20-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Good battle for 3rd place with 2 rounds to go....

1. Ryan Edwards: 603pts Tamiya Durga
2. Stephen Carson: 586pts Tamiya TRF501X
3. Aaron Vance: 579pts Schumacher CAT SX
4. Jim Lee: 578pts Tamiya TRF501X
5. Matthew Cathcart: 576pts Tamiya Durga
6. Mark Latimer : 575pts Schumacher CAT2000
7. Jonny Pike : 564pts Laser ZX5-SP
8. Adrian Johnston : 561pts Tamiya TRF501X
9. Warren Cooper : 559pts Tamiya TRF501X
10. Roger Skelly : 543pts Schumacher CAT SX

jimlee
27-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Only 1 round to go....
http://www.cloghervalleymcc.co.uk/

1. Ryan Edwards: 704pts Tamiya Durga
2. Stephen Carson: 682pts Tamiya TRF501X
3. Aaron Vance: 676pts Schumacher CAT SX
4. Jim Lee: 674pts Tamiya TRF501X
5. Matthew Cathcart: 669pts Tamiya Durga
6. Mark Latimer : 668pts Schumacher CAT2000
7. Jonny Pike : 658pts Laser ZX5-SP
8. Adrian Johnston : 654pts Tamiya TRF501X
8=. Warren Cooper : 654pts Tamiya TRF501X
10. Roger Skelly : 638pts Schumacher CAT SX

jimlee
06-03-2009, 01:37 PM
The winter league at CVMCC has just ended and the dominant driving of 18 year old Ryan Edwards from Lisbellaw saw him victorious.with a comforatable points lead over second place driver Enniskillen's Stephen Carson. 14 year old Aaron Vance from Omagh, still in his first year of racing, held on to his 3rd place with some very mature driving in the last round.
In the Novice Championship 11 Year old Karl Millar from Lisbellaw and Balinamallard driver Wayne Balfour finished on equal points but it was the youngsters tally of race "wins" that saw him lift the title. Third spot was, Karls dad, Gareth Millar

1. Ryan Edwards: 805pts Tamiya Durga
2. Stephen Carson: 780pts Tamiya TRF501X
3. Aaron Vance: 773pts Schumacher CAT SX
4. Jim Lee: 766pts Tamiya TRF501X
5. Matthew Cathcart: 765pts Tamiya Durga
6. Mark Latimer : 761pts Schumacher CAT2000
7. Jonny Pike : 749pts Laser ZX5-SP
8. Warren Cooper : 748pts Tamiya TRF501X
9. Roger Skelly : 726pts Schumacher CAT SX
10.Karl Millar : 718pts Laser ZX5-SP

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f327/fazer11/Winter08.jpg
back row Stephen Carson,Ryan Edwards, Aaron Vance
front row Wayne Balfour,Karl Millar,Wayne Millar

eda
06-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Congratulations to all! Looking forward to next Thursday. :)

colmo
09-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Just reviving the thread a bit, and insinuating myself into it in the process.

I'm looking forward to using this week's hiatus to get myself sorted out properly. Alas, I'll have to miss the Friday meeting at Craigavon.

Jump week last Thursday was absolute carnage - even the marshalls were at risk. When Miller senior tripped and fell on the landing spot for that evil triple ramp, I thought he was done for...

mole2k
09-04-2009, 12:26 AM
The triple was fine if you lined it up right, a lot of people seemed to be taking the full throttle approach though even if they hadnt straighted the cars up from the previous corner.

colmo
09-04-2009, 12:30 AM
The triple was fine if you lined it up right, a lot of people seemed to be taking the full throttle approach though even if they hadnt straighted the cars up from the previous corner.

It was the fact the jumps didn't have a straight run-up that caused all the problems.

Btw, I've been working on the design of a banked corner - I'll hopefully have a scale prototype to show next Thursday!

mole2k
09-04-2009, 12:34 AM
The non-straight run-up just meant you had to get the car positioning right before going over the jumps, it also stopped the very throttle happy people like matty taking it flat and entering the stratosphere!

You're much better to enter them slow get the car lined up then power over them, the jump wasnt that great as there wasnt an option to roll over it which meant that you had to jump. This made it a lot harder for the people who wouldnt be able to land a jump every time sucessfully. That was it's biggest flaw I think.

jimlee
17-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Stephen Carson (Mole2k) made a wee bit of History last night at Fivemiletown with his Pole and Overall Win driving his Xray T2 007.
It's the first win for a Touring car I believe and the new family of "Cats" will be out to prove a point next week.......:p

colmo
17-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Stephen Carson (Mole2k) made a wee bit of History last night at Fivemiletown with his Pole and Overall Win driving his Xray T2 007.
It's the first win for a Touring car I believe and the new family of "Cats" will be out to prove a point next week.......:p

And he did it by a country mile, too, despite some roughing up by the buggies!

Everyone else was either having a bad night, running a new car or simply hadn't showed. It was a superb demonstration of what could be done with a TC - the damage to shells, however, could make the cost prohibitive in the long run.

jimlee
17-04-2009, 04:47 PM
[quote]
Everyone else was either having a bad night, running a new car or simply hadn't showed.[quote]

Well my Cat was "new to me" and I thought 2nd on it's first run wasn't too bad.......:)
Wasn't too surprised at the 007 as it's had a good owner in the past.....:p

mole2k
17-04-2009, 04:53 PM
It had a good owner, who owned it before you Jim :p ?

mole2k
17-04-2009, 04:56 PM
And he did it by a country mile, too, despite some roughing up by the buggies!

Everyone else was either having a bad night, running a new car or simply hadn't showed. It was a superb demonstration of what could be done with a TC - the damage to shells, however, could make the cost prohibitive in the long run.

Not only the cost of replacing shells after the buggys rough you up the cost of having to probably put 4 new tyres on everynight would soon add up :thumbdown:.

Back to the 501x for next week I think.

noreargrip
17-04-2009, 08:25 PM
see u didnt get the new axle yet.so you had to go with the boring car:)
r u guys racing on the 23rd april.gonna make the trip.good pic of my b44 by the way.like to give it some flying lessons now and again.cheers,mark

jimlee
17-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi Mark...just replied to your email....
Racing on Thursday as usual and then the next week the "Jumps" come out......
You're more than welcome to Fly over us again....:p

mole2k
18-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Will be good to see you back up again soon mark, you should try and get the week after again, it's worth it alone to hear jim complain. :p

colmo
23-04-2009, 11:50 PM
After tonight's racing, a hearty 'well done' to Mark aka. noreargrip, for a lesson on how it's done, and a big thank you for helping me get my new car to actually finish (It broke down three times in the first practice lap). He was also overgenerous in his description of my performances...much appreciated :thumbsup:

mole2k
23-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Yeah deffinately he helped me get my car from understeering impossibly badly to just understeering extremely badly :D

Gonna sit down and rebuild the entire thing to see if I can figure out whats wrong, it's normally not anywhere near that bad.

colmo
25-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I've been giving thought to the business of running touring cars in the present venue, after mole2k cleaned up the week before last with his XRay, but at terrible cost.

I've realised that it might not be best to treat it like a traditional touring car race (especially on jump nights!), but rather like a rally-type venue.

Thing that don't work:
1. Lightweight shells (they get smashed - and not always by the track boundaries...)
2. Most tyres.

Things that might work:
1: Nitro shells - they seem to be made of thicker material to handle the rough stuff. They're a bit wider at 200mm, which brings me to my next point. ABS shells like those made by Kamtec may also work.
2. Wider track using offset wheels - increased stability on ultra-low traction surface?
3. Narrow mini-pin tyres - I recently learned they work better in low-grip situations that standard width tyres. Might require additive for a little extra bite. I did recently suggest metal spikes to mole2k, and not entirely in jest...
4. Plastic chassis - more flexible than carbon fibre, and can't be tweaked; especially by jumps - yes, they'd have to do the jumps just like the buggies!

In short, I think a tough workhorse like a Tamiya TA05 would perform well at much less cost than a thoroughbred racer like the XRays - yes, the XRays would be better, marginally, but the Wesleyan Hall is a surface that favours the good driver more than a good car.

Freakypen
25-04-2009, 04:12 PM
After tonight's racing, a hearty 'well done' to Mark aka. noreargrip, for a lesson on how it's done, and a big thank you for helping me get my new car to actually finish (It broke down three times in the first practice lap). He was also overgenerous in his description of my performances...much appreciated :thumbsup:
Nice one bro......though all said and done...u still suck :woot::lol::lol::lol::p
You need a good Losi back;):thumbsup: Haha!!

noreargrip
25-04-2009, 07:56 PM
thats a lot of sponsers bro! did u read that somewhere?:lol::lol::lol::p.

noreargrip
25-04-2009, 08:01 PM
colmo,i have the perfect solution.go check out a team associated sc10.they are the best thing since my b4,and my b44,oh and, sorry getting excited again.seriously man i want one they are cool.check out the video clip on associateds web page.

colmo
25-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Nice one bro......though all said and done...u still suck :woot::lol::lol::lol::p
You need a good Losi back;):thumbsup: Haha!!

I'm well aware of my awfulness - I am a noob after all!...I don't, however, know who you are? The Losi connection makes me suspect a certain hobby shop owner...?

colmo,i have the perfect solution.go check out a team associated sc10.they are the best thing since my b4,and my b44,oh and, sorry getting excited again.seriously man i want one they are cool.check out the video clip on associateds web page.

If a club anywhere in NI started up a short course truck class, I'd be there like a shot, though I'd favour a Traxxas Slash (the videos on Youtube for it are simply unbelievable), for it's sheer indestructibility and waterproofing (I am, after all, from Fermanagh, the geological equivalent of a wet sponge). It would be a cheap class to race, too, using more or less stock vehicles.

mole2k
25-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Some form of trucks would rock. Although if I was gonna make a push for any extra class it would have to 2wd buggys to go along with the 4wd's :p

I'm hoping I might have a bit more steering this week, rebuilt the shocks and have gotten a little bit more droop from them so it hopefully will generate even a little bit of grip on the front wheels this time round.

Should be getting the digger into the hall on wedensday to dig us a nice big bombhole off the tabletop, i'm sure Henry wont mind.

Freakypen
25-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm well aware of my awfulness - I am a noob after all!...I don't, however, know who you are? The Losi connection makes me suspect a certain hobby shop owner...?

If a club anywhere in NI started up a short course truck class, I'd be there like a shot, though I'd favour a Traxxas Slash (the videos on Youtube for it are simply unbelievable), for it's sheer indestructibility and waterproofing (I am, after all, from Fermanagh, the geological equivalent of a wet sponge). It would be a cheap class to race, too, using more or less stock vehicles.
Oops You've got me wrong:yawn:-I wasnt disrespecting anyone haha! I was having a go at Mark ( noreargrip ) as he is my brother!!:woot: And I'm sponsored by Horizon hobby UK-thats the losi connection.;)

jimlee
25-04-2009, 10:07 PM
.....but the Wesleyan Hall is a surface that favours the good driver more than a good car.

Give some top drivers a plank of wood, 4 wheels and a motor and they could still make an "A" Final......
I'm still of the belief that if you drive what the leading drivers in a club drive, then it's down to an individuals ability where they qualify.....
At the end of the day it all down to the "thumbs" or "trigger" finger......

Racing on polished floors is a dying art...I remember at least 4 different venues that were well supported in the past in "Norn Iron". Ballymoney, Ballymena, Newtownards and Carrickfergus.

Today Touring Cars are suited and designed for carpet or "circuit racing" while the 1/10th scale "Buggies" don't even have an off road track to race on over here.....
TC racing at CVMCC would require a lot of hard earned cash being spent and at the minute I feel that "If it's not broken then why try to fix it?"

mole2k
26-04-2009, 01:32 AM
It's a pitty really that polished floor racing is dying out as I've always quite enjoyed racing on the slippery stuff as well as racing on grippier surfaces. I think really we need to get an off-road track sorted if there is the interest. I for one would love to race outdoors, a nice astroturf track at craigavon would be great if there was going to be the support to race on it.

colmo
26-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Oops You've got me wrong-I wasnt disrespecting anyone haha! I was having a go at Mark ( noreargrip ) as he is my brother!! And I'm sponsored by Horizon hobby UK-thats the losi connection.
No worries...an intrafamilial Losi-AE rivalry, eh? Can you get sponsorship if you aren't any good? Like in cricket, where the tail-enders don't get a bat sponsor, but plenty of protective equipment - "Look, that's my 14th crash tonight, and I still haven't broken anything!" - Mark's suggestion of turning up with a truck has merit in that regard...

TC racing at CVMCC would require a lot of hard earned cash being spent and at the minute I feel that "If it's not broken then why try to fix it?"
My post earlier on the subject was about how TC racing could be done without deep pockets - using cheaper cars, longer-lasting shells and hopefully slightly harder tyres. Did you know that the BRCA has CVMCC listed as racing both buggies and TCs? http://www.brca.org/Clubs (http://www.brca.org/Clubs/club%20frame%20page.htm)
That's partly why I showed up that first night with a TC. I've managed to acquire some narrow blue mini-pins specifically for CVMCC, and hope to put my theories in practice, once I've got the buggy sorted! Variety is the spice of life...

It's a pitty really that polished floor racing is dying out as I've always quite enjoyed racing on the slippery stuff as well as racing on grippier surfaces. I think really we need to get an off-road track sorted if there is the interest. I for one would love to race outdoors, a nice astroturf track at craigavon would be great if there was going to be the support to race on it.

I'd be interested too...astroturf would be the most viable surface here, as any bare or thinly grassed earth would turn any race into a mud crawl!

The slippery stuff is certainly a deep-end experience for a noob (as I have found!) - on astroturf, the difference between A finalists and the newbies is maybe three laps, whereas on polished wood, it's more like 10-15. It might be worth putting something up on the CVMCC site about the special setup requirements for that surface, though nothing too technical to scare off the novice.

noreargrip
26-04-2009, 11:16 AM
theres no real set up that will help anyone new to polished wood racing.the only difference in my car from drop in racings astro turf is going from silver all round to green springs.they are just one grade lighter.its just about being confident about sliding the car.almost knowing what the car is going to do before it does it.many people will change their car set up a lot without really felling much difference.just track time helps.throttle control for me is vital.i know you would think your car isnt moving that fast out of corners so its natural to give it loads.but wheelspinning cars move less.for me im only using full throttle about half way down the straight.

noreargrip
26-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Give some top drivers a plank of wood, 4 wheels and a motor and they could still make an "A" Final......
I'm still of the belief that if you drive what the leading drivers in a club drive, then it's down to an individuals ability where they qualify.....
At the end of the day it all down to the "thumbs" or "trigger" finger......

Racing on polished floors is a dying art...I remember at least 4 different venues that were well supported in the past in "Norn Iron". Ballymoney, Ballymena, Newtownards and Carrickfergus.

Today Touring Cars are suited and designed for carpet or "circuit racing" while the 1/10th scale "Buggies" don't even have an off road track to race on over here.....
oooh those locations bring back memories.thats where it all began for me.i preferred tc racing on polished wood,but i still much preferred buggies.for me touring cars was much more expensive too.we were using maybe 2 complete sets of schuey mini spikes each race meeting.in buggies you could get 3-4 meetings out of tyres indoors.if the interest was there probably all these venues would still be available.

colmo
26-04-2009, 11:44 AM
We should encourage Warren to have a few sets of soft springs handy for any newbie needing them - it would have made my life easier! I'll hopefully be sorted for springs by next week, both buggy and TC.

True about the throttle control - I'l freely admit to being trigger happy.

I think the two major issue with RC in NI are expense, and indoor space. Ideally, the best class to suit these requirements would be something slower and/or smaller - 1/10th minis or 1/18th scale (like a Sacker Sport, Trinity Itsy Bitsy or Maverick Atom) would be two possible solutions - cost of entry is below £100 (maybe a little more for minis?), and sundries are dirt cheap. It would also serve as a feeder class for some, who then want to go up to 1/10th with the big boys.

mole2k
26-04-2009, 11:44 AM
theres no real set up that will help anyone new to polished wood racing.the only difference in my car from drop in racings astro turf is going from silver all round to green springs.they are just one grade lighter.its just about being confident about sliding the car.almost knowing what the car is going to do before it does it.many people will change their car set up a lot without really felling much difference.just track time helps.throttle control for me is vital.i know you would think your car isnt moving that fast out of corners so its natural to give it loads.but wheelspinning cars move less.for me im only using full throttle about half way down the straight.

I've always found that throttle control was the main thing for indoors as you really control the entire car on the throttle, the steerings only there for minor corrections :p.

If I could get my 501x handling like your b44 i'd be happy :drool:.

noreargrip
26-04-2009, 02:49 PM
i dont think using smaller cars is a good idea for new people.in my experience they are usually more difficult to control and dont handle as well as 10th buggies.no one will have parts for them either.also too many racing classes wont help the growth of any sport.always better to use what youve already got.as for venues jim lee mentioned 4 venues that we used many moons ago.the carrick indoors woudve been easily as big as craigavons track.newtonard was the leisure centre,with the rubbery sports hall type floor.it was huge.we ran 2 and 4wd modified.i used a 11 turn in my b4.ballymena and ballymoney were both larger than clougher.wooden floor racing was always with 27turn stock motors.they were quite fast, but provided close racing because beginners and middle class drivers could control them much easier.

noreargrip
26-04-2009, 03:20 PM
[quote=colmo;234378]We should encourage Warren to have a few sets of soft springs handy for any newbie needing them - it would have made my life easier! I'll hopefully be sorted for springs by next week, both buggy and TC.

True about the throttle control - I'l freely admit to being trigger happy.

I think the two major issue with RC in NI are expense, and indoor space. Ideally, the best class to suit these requirements would be something slower and/or smaller - 1/10th minis or 1/18th scale (like a Sacker Sport, Trinity Itsy Bitsy or Maverick Atom) would be two possible solutions - cost of entry is below £100 (maybe a little more for minis?), and sundries are dirt cheap. It would also serve as a feeder class for some, who then want to go up to 1/10th with the big boys.[/quote

i think for expense we havnt had it so good!nosram have great spec motors for 32quid.nosram are effectively lrp.and thats brushless! you would pay that for a stock spec brushed motor 12 years ago.with the old motors came lots of maintenance,changing of brushes and skimming motors.batteries,one lipo is all you will need for a seasons racing.i can remember paying for 5 packs of ni cds 50pounds each and you were lucky to get a season out of them before they went off,and that was paying 150pounds for a good charger and discharger for them.any new sport you go into will have an initial outlay.buggy rtr cars are £180 for a b4.but you can get started with quality kit from oople or e-bay for much less.most buggies are also quite a bit cheaper than touring cars.unless tc is really your thing i think all things considered buggies are more affordable way into the sport.

mole2k
26-04-2009, 03:41 PM
I think the biggest thing is that you can have the lipo and brushless motor that are less hassle, more power and in the long run a lot cheaper than before. Also cars are a lot stronger now so it's quite rare to actually break something.

I've never been a fan of the smaller cars as they are quite twitchy and hard to drive in my experience.

I think it would be good if we can get a league going between the two clubs so we can actually pool our racers together and get a league going with 20-30 regular racers over the winter. Then when the summer comes the real fun can start outside :p

Freakypen
26-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Yeah good old losi/associated rivalry between noreargrip and myself haha!! We both raced together for years and years indoors with touring cars and buggies,and offroad of course-nearly always with Associated cars-until last year when I joined the dark side...moaaahahahaaaaaa!!:woot::p

Despite living and doing offroad nationals here in England-i'd still love to be sliding around indoors-old skool stylee!!:thumbsup: I'm glad to see some interest finally back for 1/10 offroad in N. Ireland- (Mark's been telling me about it) great stuff keep it up!!:)

colmo
26-04-2009, 11:08 PM
More competition by combining numbers (especially at the greenhorn end of the scale!) would be no bad thing :)

True about the brushless motors and LiPo - I've been researching cheaper ESCs and the safer and even more long-lived LiFePO4 chemistry batteries which will eventually succeed LiPo. The sensored 60A ESC and 11.5T motor I was using last Thursday (which was not shamed by the various Losi and other brushless kit there) cost me £52 (by auction - they've since been going for a bit more) off a HK eBay trader, and there are other higher-spec ESC models out there without suppliers in the UK/Ireland. Once brushed kit has been pushed out of the low-end of the market, brushless kit will take it's place.

It's cheaper than it used to be, but I still contend it's not a cheap hobby for a new starter, as I've found, despite my extensive bargain-hunting on eBay and the net in general. It was the reason I gave it up (bashing, not even racing) as a lad 20 years ago.

Atm, cost of entry using only new kit would be around £250-£300 (£150 for a decent buggy kit, £55 for a EZRun brushless kit off eBay, radio, LiPo and charger the rest at a push - still a princely sum!) - once a few decent brushless RTR buggy kits become available, that may come down a bit. Getting the radio and a roller 2nd hand is usually a good idea, knocking the best part of £100 off that. The only really raceable RTR 4wd buggy kit out there now is the Kyosho ZX-5 - we have one young member who regularly leaves pieces of his ZX-5 lying around the track. Ansmann are coming out with a 2wd race-standard buggy for around £100 (kit) - hopefully they'll release a 4wd too.

Consensus within the experienced club members is that it's the initial start up costs (including purchase mistakes due to inexperience and ignorance) rather than running costs that are high, though.

noreargrip
27-04-2009, 08:39 PM
theres no simple way around it for beginners.i think we all at some point learn the hard way about what kit to buy first.i wasnt aware that there is a rtr zx-5.they are a great car.good competitive car that would hold its own against any 4wd buggy.as for bits falling off.im probably thinking he doesnt realise to regularly check over the car.i check mine every single race.but these things have to be learned by experience.ive already replaced both front driveshafts.one bent and one sheared off.all you can hope for is that newbies get decent advice from their local store which is where most of them see it first.then go to a local club and ask as many questions as they need to.

colmo
27-04-2009, 09:04 PM
theres no simple way around it for beginners.i think we all at some point learn the hard way about what kit to buy first.
I learned very quickly - get a good car/chassis, then worry about the electricals later. I of course did that backwards (though the touring car would perform beautifully on almost any other surface - I haven't given up on it yet, either, though I won't risk it on jumps - it tends to snag on the ramps!) :)

i wasnt aware that there is a rtr zx-5.they are a great car.good competitive car that would hold its own against any 4wd buggy.as for bits falling off.im probably thinking he doesnt realise to regularly check over the car.i check mine every single race.but these things have to be learned by experience.ive already replaced both front driveshafts.one bent and one sheared off.

It may also be due to him driving full pelt into the heavy blocks around the track :) - he's fast improving, and I'd imagine will be appearing regularly in A finals soon. Alas, the RTR Kyosho has rather plasticky parts holding the suspension together compared to the SP or FS - His dad is the mechanic, and seems to be quite competant.

There are an increasing range of 'value' buggy racers (Durga/Baldre, ZX-5 RTR, BMAX-4, Cyber 10B, Sparrowhawk XB RTR), and we can hope LiPos and their chargers will come down a bit in price in the UK/Ireland - they're cheap enough elsewhere, but you have to import them.

all you can hope for is that newbies get decent advice from their local store which is where most of them see it first.then go to a local club and ask as many questions as they need to.

I did most of my research on the 'net. I only got to know Warren at the club - backwards again...:)

jimlee
27-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Research is the one think I'd advise anyone thinking of starting or returning to racing. Visit their "Club" first to see what everyone is running.

The "Cat" seems to be the "in" thing at the moment...I bought the 501x after finding out that the Top drivers had it as their car of choice when I first visited the CVMCC. I got to find out their settings and found my way into the "A" finals occasionally.

Now this 501x, 6 set of cells and a Muchmore balancer can be picked up for just under £200.00...less than the Lipo "Cat" I recently changed to!
On the other hand "Rob", my "team mate" from quite some years ago has been, once again, bitten by the "bug" and has returned to racing. He bought all new, car, esc, lipos, charger and radio but from previous experience will be up there at the top end of qualifying in a week or two.

It can be an expensive sport and it all depends on how deep your pockets are or your determination to succeed within the club.

The one thing you can't buy is the, natural ability to control an RC Car :p

mole2k
27-04-2009, 11:36 PM
My 501x needs a fair bit of TLC to keep bits from falling off it :D

The front bulkhead has a habit of loosening a bit from time as does the rear shock tower, Im not really a big fan of threadlock and would really prefer to just have to tighten a couple of screws 1/2 turn every few runs than ending up drilling out screws.

As for an expensive sport, it is in comparison to some but really once you have the main bits there is very little actual running costs now that lipo and brushless has came in. As long as you stay away from minipins indoors the tyres for ages as does batterys and motors. In recent years the RTR cars have been getting better and started being clones of the racing cars instead of being designed for bashing. They might not be as adjustable but thats probably not a bad thing for beginners as the default locked settings are generally pretty good and they usually have the main things adjustable.

colmo
28-04-2009, 11:29 AM
The "Cat" seems to be the "in" thing at the moment...
It's new and shiny :p - I understand why Warren went for it - ease of maintenance and availability of parts were the primary criteria.

The Cat SX S1 is available for only a bit more than the value racer buggies I mentioned, and the composite material it's made of might actually perform better than it's carbon fibre siblings, giving more grip through flex.

I can also see why the 501X was such a success - it behaves in a very 'planted' manner, suitable for the low traction of the Wesleyan Hall. It's just a shame it and the forthcoming 511X are so mightily expensive!

Now that I have a BJ4, it's likely I'll stick with the JConcepts/Associated lineage - Mark has shown exactly what the relatively budget B44 is capable of! Diggity Designs also has a set of 'super flexy' top decks for it which might help with the low traction.

The one thing you can't buy is the, natural ability to control an RC Car :p
I happen to think I'm very quick between crashes :thumbsup:

In recent years the RTR cars have been getting better and started being clones of the racing cars instead of being designed for bashing. They might not be as adjustable but thats probably not a bad thing for beginners as the default locked settings are generally pretty good and they usually have the main things adjustable.

Also, when the time comes, they can become donor cars for a rolling chassis of a better car. Speaking of which, the Losi RTR cars have some super kit thrown in - The Speed T has a good 2.4Ghz radio (I have this Rx/Tx combo), brushless kit (too fast for Fivemiletown, alas) and digital servo which would grace almost any buggy. If Losi came out with a plastic version of the XXX4 equipped so as a RTR kit, they'd have a winner, at least within the club!

jimlee
08-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Website updated with latest Championship Standings

colmo
08-05-2009, 01:42 PM
An interesting night's racing - the notoriously slippery Wesleyan Hall was even worse than normal. It took even the A finalists a few heats to come to grips (no pun intended) with it.

I got all excited in the C final, when I heard I was 1st...this probably caused a crash or two; as it was, it was a lap-timing error...roll on the new automated lap-timing system!

Jim, do you have the number of laps and my fastest lap time in the C final? I didn't get a proper look at them.

jimlee
08-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Jim, do you have the number of laps and my fastest lap time in the C final? I didn't get a proper look at them.

18 Laps in 5m11.562...Fastest lap...13.91

(Aaron, Winner of the "A", had 26 laps and 10.62 fastest lap!!)

colmo
08-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Cheers Jim. I think that's my best effort yet.If I can start chalking 20+ laps, I'll be very happy - I might have done if given a few more runs - the first two heats were wasted by setup problems and my shocks coming off!

jimlee
08-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Get front tyres on the beast and ease off that throttle finger......:p

mole2k
09-05-2009, 12:08 AM
What was my fastest lap in the final anyway jim, 11.5 ?

jimlee
09-05-2009, 09:42 AM
What was my fastest lap in the final anyway jim, 11.5 ?

No!...11.547......:p

jimlee
06-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Aaron Vance the CVMCC Champion.....if you think you're good enough on Polisher Wooden Floors...come to Fivemiletown and see if you can beat him.....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/3597656005_2569380acd.jpg?v=0

eda
06-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Congratulations to Aaron! (and everyone else who can drive on that stuff!)

Aaron Vance the CVMCC Champion.....if you think you're good enough on Polisher Wooden Floors...come to Fivemiletown and see if you can beat him.....

eda
10-09-2009, 12:15 PM
All the best to the CVMCC crew at the start of the new Winter league tonight. :thumbsup:

colmo
10-09-2009, 12:26 PM
There's hours to go yet, and I'm already itching for some slip-sliding action on the newly varnished floor!

colmo
11-09-2009, 09:04 AM
If I can start chalking 20+ laps, I'll be very happy

Job done! It's amazing what a break can do - my car is finally properly setup, the new radio is working well, and that all translated to a personal best of 22 laps in the first heat. Heats 2 and 3 were worse, but I steadied the ship in the B final to chalk 2nd place with 21 laps, ahead of Roger and new lad Jack, both of whom didn't finish (poor Jack didn't even start) due to electrical problems.

My driving style has transformed - I used to barrel into the corners, and was in general much too trigger-happy. Last night, I was finally using the throttle properly.

jimlee
11-09-2009, 10:00 AM
"I was finally using the throttle properly."

So you do listen to what I suggest....:p see post 53.....
Have to admit I did feel that you were in control of the car last night (at times) but then we are very brave marshalls;)

mole2k
11-09-2009, 11:05 AM
It was a good nights racing, the new layer of varnish on the floor helped a fair bit. I think I actually grip rolled at one point!

colmo
11-09-2009, 01:02 PM
"I was finally using the throttle properly."

So you do listen to what I suggest....:p see post 53.....
Have to admit I did feel that you were in control of the car last night (at times) but then we are very brave marshalls;)

Thanks, Jim - I have been listening, it was just the application that was going awry...

It was a good nights racing, the new layer of varnish on the floor helped a fair bit. I think I actually grip rolled at one point!

It was very nice, it's true. I think there were a few spots that were more slippery, and the car would suddenly spin out on them.

eda
17-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Congratulations to Colmo on winning the B Final (from 4th) with his BJ4 at Drop Inn Racing last night. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

He did seem to be in constant Messenger contact with ace race engineer mole2k throughout the night - is this legal?:lol:

mole2k
17-09-2009, 10:32 AM
I dont think the messenger contact really helped much, he was more keeping me sane while I edited photographs!

colmo
18-09-2009, 08:28 AM
I am enjoying my Blackberry - I'm a convert to mobile data comms, for sure.

In my second race night in two days, I came second in the B final at CVMCC again, as Roger's electrics once again cooked themselves. Roll on Dublin this Saturday!

I managed my best run in the final, despite the fast I had a panicked wishbone replacement (broken in the last heat) to do (had to modify it to fit, too), which held proceedings up, and I had to personally pop a turnbuckle back on (I think Robert, the marshall, was justifiably not too impressed with my marshalling of his car, so figured I could do it myself). It's the first time I've clocked under 12 seconds as a fastest lap there, and I did it three times in the final. Without the turnbuckle delay, I might have managed 22 or 23 laps.

tony6187
18-09-2009, 04:44 PM
[quote

In my second race night in two days, I came second in the B final at CVMCC again, as Roger's electrics once again cooked themselves. Roll on Dublin this Saturday

some competition:thumbsup:.will be good to see you lads down

colmo
24-09-2009, 11:48 PM
This Autumn season is taking shape now. Aaron and Stephen are fighting it out for the lead, there's nothing between them in pace. The bulk of the rest are pretty close, and then there's me holding off a fast-improving young Jack for the Clubman title.

Stephen spotted what the problem was with my car tonight - my centre driveshaft coupling was loose, so I was effectively 2wd the whole night! I think I drove pretty well considering how badly it handled! That car is causing nothing but problems, so time for a total overhaul.

eda
15-10-2009, 09:31 AM
So what's the best tip for tyres on a 2WD B4 at CVMCC - yellow full spikes? Or just cross my fingers and count the donuts! :D

colmo
16-10-2009, 08:02 AM
An interesting night's racing, last night - there were plenty of testy moments and fraying tempers - me with the computer for putting me in the first heat when I turned up with a 3wd car, Roger with Warren for breaking his car before the B final had even started (a sneaky way to generate more income from spares, we think...), Jonny with young Jack for not knowing how to pop a steering link back in place... but our membership's largely phlegmatic nature won through.

I was surprised Aaron won the A - he was tidy and anonymous for much of that race. Stephen kept crashing, and Ryan didn't finish.

You should see all the black dents in the floor from the tabletop overshoots...!

So what's the best tip for tyres on a 2WD B4 at CVMCC - yellow full spikes? Or just cross my fingers and count the donuts! :D

Pretty much :lol: - since the floor was redone, you might do better with a 2wd. You'll still be at a disadvantage, mind.

Bring the T4 - then you can go cross-country....

eda
23-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Another good nights racing with CVMCC trying to learn the black art of driving on a wooden floor :lol: You have to be impressed with guys who can hurl those 4wds about all night on that surface.
No sign of Jim Lee, could he have kept up with the pace of Robert Reid in 3rd place overall though, that's the question... (He waits for reply when Jim gets back from holidays) :woot:

Legacy555
23-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi all,

The Dublin Model Car Club are running an indoor offroad race meeting on the 28th December 2009.

details on www.dublinmodelracing.com (http://www.dublinmodelracing.com)

Regards,

William White

David Church
23-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Does Michael Bolger race at this club? This may be an event for me to come to on my crimbo holidays!!!!:thumbsup:

mole2k
23-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Mick im sure would be racing down at the dublin model car club for that christmas GP. I should hopefully get down with a few other guys my cvmcc and maybe a few guys from the dir club too. It should be a good days fun!

colmo
23-10-2009, 02:53 PM
@Ed - how did you go? I didn't show last Thursday, so missed the fun - needed the rest though.

@William - tell us more of the Strawberry Raceway - you'll have to give the CVMCC drivers some polished floor to slide around on or we'll be lost...

David Church
23-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Sweet, how many people are entered? I have wanted to come to Ireland for sometime, this may just work out perfect!!!

MiCk B.
23-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Sweet, how many people are entered? I have wanted to come to Ireland for sometime, this may just work out perfect!!!
Does Michael Bolger race at this club? This may be an event for me to come to on my crimbo holidays!!!!:thumbsup:

DC, this is my local club, so I'll be there. We've no idea on numbers, only getting the news out to people at this stage. You're more than welcome to come over. The track is located close to the airport as well as to the city centre!!

@William - tell us more of the Strawberry Raceway - you'll have to give the CVMCC drivers some polished floor to slide around on or we'll be lost...

There as some pictures of the track construction up on the club website. I've some video as well of the track. I'll try to get it up on line over the week-end.

Any questions, just give a shout.

(I'll start a new thread about this event.)

MiCk B. :-)

David Church
23-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Cheers Mick!!! This may become a "Must do" event this crimbo!!!

eda
23-10-2009, 03:27 PM
2WD on the slippy stuff last night was good craic! I had a pretty low power set up in the B4 so the surface wasn't such a big disdvantage to be honest. Yellow full spikes gave a lot more grip than I thought. Biggest disadvantage was the driver as usual :thumbsup:

@Ed - how did you go? I didn't show last Thursday, so missed the fun - needed the rest though.