PDA

View Full Version : 2009 BRCA Lipo list

jimmy
23-02-2009, 11:11 AM
2009 sees the widespread acceptance of LiPo cells to power our racing and the homologation list is finally available on the BRCA.org website. The list is surprisingly long, with some 57 different lipo packs being approved (42 stick packs and 15 saddle packs) - the undertaking was huge.

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/misc/news/lipo09.jpg

According to Charlie Fraiser from the BRCA, Emails between the Manufacturers and the BRCA alone have topped 1000 since the AGM approved the dimensions.The adoption of this new technology has required all cells on this BRCA list to be measured, weighed, photographed etc since the end of January 2009 closing date for cell submission, as opposed to just the few new/updated cells received in a normal year.

Check out the full list HERE (http://brca.org/BRCA/elecboard/news/2009%20BRCA%202S%20LiPo%20List%20V12%20pdf.pdf)on the BRCA website.

IceMike
23-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Thank you everyone involved, nice big list there this year. Big thanks :thumbsup:

jimmy
23-02-2009, 11:57 AM
57 different packs is taking the mickey! Well done to the BRCA for sorting it:thumbsup:

GRIFF55
23-02-2009, 02:01 PM
plenty of time to get lipo'd up too:thumbsup:. nice one!

DaveG28
23-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Yep, happy to eat humble pie, loads of choice, and good capacity saddle packs!

Jamie B4
23-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Any ideas when these will be available in the UK with regards to the different types ie when CML will be sending them out

Alfonzo
23-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Big thanks to those that worked on sorting the list out. :)

SHY
23-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Fantastic selection, top notch work!!! :thumbsup:

big air
24-02-2009, 10:20 AM
mmmmmmm them Vampires look tasty:woot: nosrams 5300 40c:o

millzy
24-02-2009, 10:53 AM
i got cells not on the list

wicked :)

but i got some tasty ones that are on the list as well

russmini
24-02-2009, 12:26 PM
But don't forget that if they were Approved in 2008, then for 2009 you can use those as well.

That is the Situation i am in...

So at least i know i have 1 Years of National/Regional Racing i can do with these Packs. :D

So Start Saving for 2010

CharlieF
24-02-2009, 02:51 PM
But don't forget that if they were Approved in 2008, then for 2009 you can use those as well.

That is the Situation i am in...

So at least i know i have 1 Years of National/Regional Racing i can do with these Packs. :D

So Start Saving for 2010

I guess your are referring to TC events here.
Remember that for Off-Road sanctioned events only cells on the 2009 lipo list are "approved" i.e. not all cells on the 2008 TC list met the 2009 size criterion and therefore have not been carried into the 2009 list.

Regards.

Southwell
24-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Well done all, great work getting such a huge list sorted. Just gotta wait for my sexy Corallys to come :D

peetbee
24-02-2009, 03:17 PM
I guess your are referring to TC events here.
Remember that for Off-Road sanctioned events only cells on the 2009 lipo list are "approved" i.e. not all cells on the 2008 TC list met the 2009 size criterion and therefore have not been carried into the 2009 list.

Regards.
Charlie, the way I was reading the 2009 list was that all the packs listed including those under the 2008TC section would be legal for off road too.

Are you saying that any packs that were on the 2008 list that haven't been carried forward into the 2009 list will only be legal for TC and not for off road?

PaulUpton
24-02-2009, 04:40 PM
All the cells that were on the 2008 list are also legal for TC events, only cells on the 2009 list will be legal for off road!

Paul

CharlieF
24-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi Peetbee
Dont quote me on what is legal for TC racing - I thought TC section had carried over all 2008 lipo cells into 2009 (grandfathered).
That is not the case for Off-Road sanctioned events (National & Regionals) - I believe as many as four 2008 stick packs were either too big for 2009 dimensions or the wires exiting the cells were not acceptable so these do not appear on the 2009 BRCA lipo list.
Hope this is clear.
Regards

peetbee
24-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks Charlie, sorry but I explained it very badly!
It looks to me that some of the TC packs from 08 that fit the size limits have been carried over to the 09 list.
I was trying to work out if they are legal for off road as they appear to be, even though they were originally on the TC list only.
Thanks

mark christopher
24-02-2009, 07:33 PM
some cells from the tc list are on the 09 list under the heading
The following Packs were approved for the BRCA T/C Stock Class in 2008, and comply with 2009 technical requirements

so thay can be used,
08 cells not under the above are not ok for off road, what this does mean is if you have cell that are on the 08 tc list and not on the 09 list you can still sell em to the tc lads

peetbee
25-02-2009, 02:56 AM
now that makes sense now! Thanks

DCM
25-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Sorry, I read that as, the cells passed for stock TC last year, meet all 2009 Requirements, so make them elligible for the 2009 list, under grandfather rights....

Or do we really have a 2009 battery list, that isn't a complete list, as some listed, aren't legal, if so, what a cock up of mis-information.

mark christopher
25-02-2009, 08:52 AM
nope all the cells on the 2009 list are legal, including those from the 08 tc list that pass the "new rules" (these are shown on the bottom of the 09 list)

those on the tc list 08 that do not meet the "new rules" are ONLY legal in TC events or meetings where the 2009 list is not enforced (grandfather rights)

Alan1467
25-02-2009, 09:02 AM
This is getting confusing as I have been told by one supplier that cells with wire connections are only legal for 2009? Is this correct or are all the cells inc the bottom ex TC ones legal from now (april 1st)until when ever :cry:

DCM
25-02-2009, 09:03 AM
so all those publicised on the 2009 list, are legal, for the EB, period?

bigred5765
25-02-2009, 09:42 AM
its quiet simple really, go here (http://www.brca.org/BRCA/elecboard/news/2009%20BRCA%202S%20LiPo%20List%20V12%20pdf.pdf)
if there on that list there legal for brca off road next year,

mark christopher
25-02-2009, 10:52 AM
so all those publicised on the 2009 list, are legal, for the EB, period?
All cells on the 2009 list are aproved for use at brca/eb sanctioned meetings TC off road etc etc

those NOT on the 09 list but on the TC list from 08 ARE allowed in TC or non sanctioned meetings not running brca/eb rules.

millzy
25-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Im so lost with the list

so why are my lipos ok for tc but not for buggys?

Medders
25-02-2009, 05:23 PM
:eh?:

It really seems simple enough. Said list, 2009 approved lipos, includes at the bottom a section of those from the 2008 TC only list that are approved for offroad use in 2009. If you look at the 2008 TC list you will see that not all have made it onto the 2009 list.

However, under TC events which allow use of the 2008 list there will of course be some that can therefore be used in 2009, although not on the 2009 list. Such "grandfathering" rules cannot apply to off road, since no lipos were legal in 2008.:yawn:

MattW
25-02-2009, 06:03 PM
The touring car section is allowing everything that they allowed last year (the 08 list) plus everything from the new official EB 09 list. The Off rd section is allowing everything from the EB 09 list - period. There are some that fall into both categories, and are listed in the lower part of the new EB 09 list.

There were clearly some that were passed legal for touring car last year, that do not meet the official EB specs. One such reason for this is Side exit wires. These are not allowed under the EB as they are not suitable for all classes - i.e many 2wd off rd cars. Remember the theme has been making cells fit current cars, not the other way round. Suspect there may be other differences between last year's Touring car spec and the official EB one.

mark christopher
25-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Im so lost with the list

so why are my lipos ok for tc but not for buggys?

because the TC section have agreed (i believe after the lipo sizes and rules came into force) that thay would take on the EB list AND go thier own way by allowing extra from the old list, (any electric section can vote to do this)

Alan
25-02-2009, 11:16 PM
I applaud the work gone in to making this list. However last year I purchased lipos that were listed on the EB lipo list as being legal for use in touring cars and ran them in my touring cars. Now my significant investment in batteries is not legal for off road, the class I am racing this year. I bought them last year in good faith that the EB would see sense to allow them to still be legal this year. Now, against my will if I wish to continue to race at BRCA off road events I have to spend some more money to get legal batteries. I thought lipo would end the annual event of buying new cells but it appears I am wrong. Sorry to grumble and I know a lot of work went into this but I don't see what difference it would make to allow the complete list of lipo batteries from 2008 to be allowed.

terry.sc
26-02-2009, 01:58 AM
Lipos weren't legal at all for buggies at BRCA sanctioned events last year so as far as buggies go there is no 2008 list of lipos that can be allowed. Touring cars went their own way last year and created their own rules, it's only this year that a set of rules to cover every section that wants to use them have been created.

Following your logic should buggies and touring cars allow ex bike racers to use soft pack lipos as the bike section have been using them for years and they have invested in them?

Unfortunately you happened to have chosen one of the packs that aren't legal now we have a set of rules, I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem of you had chosen a different pack but it's purely luck if you had managed to guess right what the rules would be a year in advance. Of course there's nothing to stop you running them at club meets or selling them on to other touring car drivers.

Alan
26-02-2009, 07:34 AM
I think it is obvious to us all why we don't allow soft cased lipos and a very sensible move. I still don't see why batteries that were perfectly legal in 1/10 touring cars are not legal in 1/10 buggies. The touring car section made the leap of faith and embraced these new batteries, and a lot of drivers I know in my club / area have driven touring cars and buggies recently and have lipos from the tc section list. I ask again, why are these packs not allowed and what difference would it have made to allow them? Perhaps if I understood the reasoning behind the decision it would help soften the blow a little. If luck was involved did the decision makers pull lottery tickets out a bag to decide which batteries were allowed?

DaHomie
26-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Guys,

The Reedy Stick Pack and Saddle Pack are referred to the same Product Number #711 which has to be a mistake right?
Correct numbers should be #711 for the Stick and #712 for the Saddle.
If this do not get corrected in the official list will it create problems for people showing up with the #712 Saddle Pack from Reedy?

Regards,
DaHomie

mark christopher
26-02-2009, 08:26 AM
I applaud the work gone in to making this list. However last year I purchased lipos that were listed on the EB lipo list as being legal for use in touring cars and ran them in my touring cars. Now my significant investment in batteries is not legal for off road, the class I am racing this year. I bought them last year in good faith that the EB would see sense to allow them to still be legal this year. Now, against my will if I wish to continue to race at BRCA off road events I have to spend some more money to get legal batteries. I thought lipo would end the annual event of buying new cells but it appears I am wrong. Sorry to grumble and I know a lot of work went into this but I don't see what difference it would make to allow the complete list of lipo batteries from 2008 to be allowed.
you need to be aware there has never been a EB list for lipo nor a BRCA list, the list was done for the TC section, by the EB guys, there is a big difference

Dufty07
28-02-2009, 01:38 AM
A big THANK YOU to all of you in BRCA land. :D:wub:D

DaveG28
28-02-2009, 02:02 AM
Does anyone know if any of the saddle packs on the list are available yet?

I think its a wile till the LRP, but the Vampire is soon from what I've seen of other posts (is that right?), but not heard anything about the others??

Just in case many meetings start running to the 09 list straight away, it's cool its been done in plenty of time for nationals/regionals though :D

mark christopher
28-02-2009, 09:33 AM
i believe trakpower are waiting on a new batch to land in the uk

Darren Boyle
28-02-2009, 11:47 AM
The BRCA legal Vampire 4400mah/30C saddles (and the non BRCA 6200mah/30C saddels )will be leaving on or around the 8th March from the manufacturer, arriving with Vampire in Germany approx three days later. We should then see them 4/5 days later here in the UK, so all being well they "should" be here with us around the 15/16th March (customs/delays/deliveries dependant)

knighthawk
28-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Just a question?

Why have cells been allowed that technically don't exist yet!

We all run into a problem that all racers will want them as soon as they hit the UK, will there be enough to supply the demand.

Darren Boyle
28-02-2009, 03:58 PM
The list will contain all cells that meet the "spec", many companies would not put cells into production if the worlds governing bodies (ROAR, IFMAR, EFRA and BRCA) would then not allow them for use.

Production samples that have been made and "expressed" over by airmail for testing and are now approved are being produced, packaged and shipped. Production and packing takes a few weeks at best, shipping can take anywhere between 7 days to three weeks depending on how they are being sent (air or boat) and then customs can delay by another week or so, which gives you the time differnece betwen the "sample" which is here already adn the "stock" which is on its way.

I know for a fact that some cells were already made and shipped BEFORE the list was announced by some brands since they were certian that their cells would meet the specs and be allowed, but they are still not here now the list has been published.

I

DaveG28
28-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Do you know what your selling price will be Darren?

JCJC
28-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Do you know what your selling price will be Darren?

need to look on the shop site, http://www.dms-racing.com/ use search and Vampire for manufacturer.

DaveG28
28-02-2009, 09:15 PM
need to look on the shop site, http://www.dms-racing.com/ use search and Vampire for manufacturer.

Cheers, I'd been looking on the xfactory site earlier in the week, forgot to check the shop!

Darren Boyle
01-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks JCJC, hope you found what you were looking for Dave.

We only post the full RRP stuff on the distributor site (XFactory UK) all our own "selling" prices are on DMS to keep seperate the two and all of our other dealers will have them on their sites at their own selling prices too as and when they are all ready to list them.

MRD
02-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Am I gonna be able to run my old trackpower saddle lipos at the Batley regional? I cant get my hands on any from the list before the event so I'm presuming alot of people will be in the same situation if its the new list lipos only.

Bungleaio
02-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Am I gonna be able to run my old trackpower saddle lipos at the Batley regional? I cant get my hands on any from the list before the event so I'm presuming alot of people will be in the same situation if its the new list lipos only.

As far as I see it only batteries on the list are allowed at brca sanctioned events

Cockerill
02-03-2009, 07:39 PM
As far as I see it only batteries on the list are allowed at brca sanctioned events

Correct,

However, Batley 'regional' isn't a BRCA event, it's part of the NE Indoor Series. Therefore the series rules stand, which can be viewed here: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15262

MRD
02-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Correct,

However, Batley 'regional' isn't a BRCA event, it's part of the NE Indoor Series. Therefore the series rules stand, which can be viewed here: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15262

Thank you so much for clearing that up. I only run club races so all these national, regional, brca rules n regs are new to me. I knew the supercup wasn't BRCA rules but I wasn't sure about the others. I should have looked into it before I signed up to race.