PDA

View Full Version : What's needed for a Stick Lipo Conversion

dayxwalker
02-03-2009, 11:44 AM
I have just got a X11 and I am thinking of converting it to stick lipo ! I have read the post on it but I need to know exactly what bits I need.

My electrics are as below
GTB esc
Acoms 2.4ghz reciever (tiny)
Full size servo (jr9002z)

Is there no way of getting a full size servo in ? Don't have the cash for a low profile at the moment.
I need to swap the linkages to the otherside for the servo but are they compatable to either side ?
I will have to shorten the servo rod (long one) then tap the end ?

Bungleaio
02-03-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm about to try and do this on my car.

It'll be tight getting your electrics in as the gtb takes up a fair bit of space on its own. The steering links can be turned upside down and used on the opposite sides the only problem I can see is the countersunk screws that are on one end of them, I'm not sure how this will work now.

As for the rod, you can cut the existing one down and rethread it or you can buy a length of M3 threaded rod and sut that to whatever lenght you need, this is what I have done.

blitzboy
02-03-2009, 12:30 PM
dayxwalker when you reverse the steering arm pieces you need to dremmel off the lump s and the put a nut on to retain it underneath , as for having a full size servo you could always lay it down and then shorten and bend the steering rod to siut it as for your reciever and gtb you d have to see where it will go after that first thing i would do is try and place the servo as far forward as possible then look at where to mount your reciever and speedo after

turbo_brick
02-03-2009, 12:58 PM
If you want I'll have a look see what I can come up with. I've got a old chassis somewhere.

Peter

p.s. sorry I haven't pm'd back Tim just been busy all week at the track.

KevLee
02-03-2009, 01:07 PM
I have just got a X11 and I am thinking of converting it to stick lipo ! I have read the post on it but I need to know exactly what bits I need.

My electrics are as below
GTB esc
Acoms 2.4ghz reciever (tiny)
Full size servo (jr9002z)

Is there no way of getting a full size servo in ? Don't have the cash for a low profile at the moment.
I need to swap the linkages to the otherside for the servo but are they compatable to either side ?
I will have to shorten the servo rod (long one) then tap the end ?

I have a short stack servo but mounted on its side and there is no reason why a full size servo wouldn't fit like that. I have the reciever on the chassis between the servo and prop and the speedo upfront. You could mount the reciever on top of the servo, or if you speedo is too big for the space upfront that could go on the servo and put the reciever up front?

The steering links do need to be countersunk on the other side so that the screw heads don't catch on the chassis.

I'm using the original servo rod but with a little bit taken off.

I can post a picture if that helps as i've changed it around a bit recently?

Bungleaio
02-03-2009, 01:36 PM
The steering links do need to be countersunk on the other side so that the screw heads don't catch on the chassis.

Does this not leave very little material on the arms?

dayxwalker
02-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks everyone !
Pete that broken chassi would be good to play with so I don't end up drilling loads of holes in the process !
I am racing on Tuesday so to soon to take it to bits but I will start on Wednesday !
I like the idea of just getting threaded bar saves buying a tap !
I will post some pictures as I go ! Don't think I have seen a full size servo in a stick pred ? I don't want anything sticking out of the shell tho !

dayxwalker
02-03-2009, 01:58 PM
One other thing I just hope it handles ok with sticks ! I can always go back to saddle !

turbo_brick
02-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I've just been messing about with that broken chassis, seems I can get everything into it, need the size of your reciever though.

I'll show you tomorrow if i remember.

Peter

dayxwalker
02-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Cheers peter ! The reciever will go anyway it's tiny ! I will see you at racing

ads0021
02-03-2009, 08:21 PM
A little bird has told me the there will be new steering arms available for converting to lipo so you wont need to cut them down and re countersink them. Not sure exactly when they will be ready but I know they are on the way.

pesky badger
09-03-2009, 11:27 AM
So what are people using for the servo mounts (standard size, mounted upright). :eh?:

KevLee
09-03-2009, 10:32 PM
This is my current stick layout using the kit supplied servo mounts. With this you can either have a short stack or full size servo.

restimax
09-03-2009, 11:06 PM
This is my current stick layout using the kit supplied servo mounts. With this you can either have a short stack or full size servo.

good work, very nice.;)

Lowie
10-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Here you can find some pics of my stickpack-mods on my x10 and x11.
I even took some notesand drawings about measurements and photographed those drawings too.

http://www.ludodg.com/RC/albums/Pred_X10&X11_StickpackMod/

restimax
05-05-2009, 08:59 PM
if i use a velcro strap instead of the battery strap in carbon?
:blush:

Cooper
06-05-2009, 06:26 AM
if i use a velcro strap instead of the battery strap in carbon?
:blush:

yes, good !

with carbon strap you can tweak chassis

restimax
06-05-2009, 11:28 AM
this is my lipo conversion, with velcro....:)

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/5800/06052009067.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=06052009067.jpg)

for the holes of the ni-mh i think i will use the lowie system...with glue dual component.:thumbsup:

burgie
06-05-2009, 11:50 AM
The easiest and probably the cheapest way to do hold the lipo's in a pred is with a Lazer ZX5 battery strap and posts - it was designed for the job and holds the batteries in very securely indeed. Because it is a reasonably soft plastic and the holes for the battery posts are slightly oversize there is no worry about chassis tweak either! Top Job.

Southwell
06-05-2009, 11:53 AM
If you are going to use velcro i would suggest you put some foam underneath (the B4 type stuff that sticks) so it cant move side to side.

restimax
06-05-2009, 12:14 PM
If you are going to use velcro i would suggest you put some foam underneath (the B4 type stuff that sticks) so it cant move side to side.

yes. but in this moment i do not have it....

Southwell
06-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Put something under there then, you dont want to risk your lipo coming out during a race. for a short term fix on my xx4 i put a strip of servo tape on and then took all the stick off it so it held the lipo but didn't stick it.