PDA

View Full Version : Servo Hopups and other such electrickery?

VONDUTCH
16-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Might just be asking some really obvious stuff here but what the heck I'll give it a go-Can I speed up my steering servo(a Futaba S3003) with some clever wiring from my fairly basic ESC (an Mtroniks Msonik3i sport RV).If so,how? Clear instructions would be good or perhaps a link? If not, any ideas on a good, cheap, fast yet strong servo to use? In my current setup is the servo seeing 4.8v or 6.0v? Got a Hitec digital HS-5645MG but its listed speed is apparently no faster than my Futaba-at 4.8v they both rate at .23 sec and at 6.0v the Hitec is actually marginally slower.The Hitec is in my I.C. Hyper 7 buggy and I'm sure the hike in torque is a help but what do you guys think???? My 10th electric is a 2wd Losi xxx. Newbies need the most help I guess:(

bigred5765
17-01-2007, 12:01 AM
the simplest way to get a bit of extra power and speed is hot wire the red wire direct to the 7.2 volt plus side of the speedo
also if your going to york this weekend come see me carl latham i have one or 2 ko's for sale

jimmy
17-01-2007, 12:15 AM
The batter input on the ESC not the motor output! ;)
like carl says, just connect the red wire to the battery, easiest way is on the ESC.

Take the red wire out of the connector totally - doesn't need to go anywhere near the receiver, just straight from the battery (esc) to the servo. I raced this on the 3003 for months in my touring car, it was very good, it broke eventually in a crash - but thats what you get from using a plastic cheap servo I guess..

jimmy
17-01-2007, 12:21 AM
KO servos are very good - I have been running some 616 (high torque) and 617 (high speed) Blue Bird servos recently, these are good value for what they are - under 30 quid from RC Direct (http://www.rc-direct.co.uk/) and they are fast, metal geared etc etc. I am running the 617 in the Tamiya TRF 501X review car, and the 616 in my touring car.
I mention these since I am reviewing them - Some of the older bluebird servos weren't amazing, but the newer 616 & 617 are great for the money, I wouldn't review crap.

VONDUTCH
17-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Thanks very much guys-just what I needed;)

leighriley75
14-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Hello guys
I too am looking to upgrade from the boggo Acoms servo in my DF03. The main problem seems to be a lack of preciseness around the neutral position. I suspect this could be down to the plastic servo-saver and have read that people are zip-tying the collar to try and stiffen things up. I like the idea of using a fixed arm on a metal geared servo. If I decide to get something like a Bluebird, what's the situation with receiver compatibility? Are all hop-up servos plug and play with any make/type of receiver? If Bluebird servos come with Futaba style plugs, will they not/never work with an Acoms receiver? If so, what are my options? Am I better off ditching the Acoms gear and picking up some Futaba stuff? What are most people running in the 27Mhz area? Sorry for all the questions!
Thanks for your help
Leigh

Oscar
15-05-2007, 03:54 PM
All servo's made in recent years seem to have adopted a common wiring sequence, and are as such interchangeable. The Futaba type connector plug has a small plastic tab moulded on one side to prevent it being placed into the slot the wrong way around. To use in Acoms or Sanwa, you simply slice this off with a sharp hobby knife.
I think on Acoms the signal wire is coloured yellow rather than white, but don't worry about that;)