PDA

View Full Version : 12th circuit

LiamD
18-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Who's got one then?

And where do you race it?

jimmy
18-01-2007, 05:59 PM
I got one last year - I need to get it up and running but since I got it I've literally not touched it. No time :( They are like grown up mardaves, and I really enjoyed racing those - because I used to win haha..

LiamD
18-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Ha, I get mine out now and again (12th scale that is :o ).

Used to be a hardcore 12th driver, but I gave up after the 2005 Euros. Then got back into it this winter... it's addictive!!

I did the TRCC national in November, and i'm going to do the Chesterfield GP next month.

DCM
18-01-2007, 06:15 PM
I would get one, but track laying down this neck of the woods isn't good enough, I did play with them when the 12th Nationals first came to Wales in 95/96?? mucho great fun!!!

LEGEND
19-01-2007, 07:54 AM
hi liam you know that i have got a twelth but what date is that Chesterfield GP on not that i would probably be allowed to go. im just currious.

The reason why my dad will probably be in another country by then.;)

Chris Doughty
19-01-2007, 08:55 AM
I have quite fancied a go at 12th, one of the main reasons... I think my colours would look SO dialled on an LM car body!

its one of the few on-road classes that interests me

LiamD
19-01-2007, 11:37 AM
hi liam you know that i have got a twelth but what date is that Chesterfield GP on not that i would probably be allowed to go. im just currious.

The reason why my dad will probably be in another country by then.;)

It's the same weekend as the Batley Supercup - February 17/18th. The entry is probably full by now as it's always a popular meeting. It's my bogey track, yet somehow I always enjoy it!!!

Chris, I believe you now have probably the best 12th manafacturer as your sponsor, so why not have a go? :cool:

Juddy
15-02-2007, 07:28 PM
yeah 1/12th looks great,though its hard to find clubs that run it in the East of England, i've droped hints to some of the touring car clubs locally but no one seems that interested:(. Strange cos though i can't see the appeal of tc, and i don't see why if your into tc why you would'nt want to run 1/12th, it would have to make ya a better driver( which is another reason i'd be well up for it).

Go for it boys, and good luck, and if anyone knows were i might find a regular 1/12th club not a million miles from Colchester give us a clue!

PaulRotheram
15-02-2007, 10:29 PM
I gave 12th a go last year, and it was quite hard to be fast at it, the set up had to be spot on, thumbs were at a non stop pace for 8 mins, along with watery eyes due to over concentration!

It was fun while i toyed with them, you had to be very precise with everything, somthing i can do.. but gets tireing.

FifteenthNeo
18-03-2007, 10:47 AM
What are the 1/12th's like for setting up. My local Club has mentioned running a class at the next winter season if there is enough interest, so was thinking of getting one.

losidan
18-03-2007, 03:40 PM
What are the 1/12th's like for setting up. My local Club has mentioned running a class at the next winter season if there is enough interest, so was thinking of getting one.

can be quite fiddly i think but they are awesome to run....certainly teach you a thing or two about throttle control!

LiamD
18-03-2007, 07:23 PM

Make sure everything is straight, the tweak is set and don't run chunked tyres. Pretty basic stuff from any class of racing really. All this about it being fiddly to set up is bollocks - the only fiddly bit is taping your cells in. I've ran the same set up and tyres on my 12th since i've had it, and managed some pretty good results with it too.

Get one and stick with a 19T, with a bit of talent you'll beat most people running a mod or brushless on a small track.

FifteenthNeo
18-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks for that, apart from the RC12L4 is their any other kits on the market that are recommended?

I have seen the CRC Generation X and the Corally SP12X.

LiamD
18-03-2007, 09:10 PM
I would go for the 12L4, it's a proven car straight out the box. (except the tyres, you'll need purple front, grey rear for any UK track).

The Calandras are good, but I always found them a bit complicated, and could never get them to handle how I wanted.

FifteenthNeo
18-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Cool, thanks for the tire tip. Its a small'ish indoor track thats mostly twist and turns with a single 12mtr straight. So the tire tips helps alot.

Im pretty much decided on the 12L4 to be honest.

Arn0
18-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Add to the list of available car on 1:12th:
- Team Laje Speed Evil
- Kawada M300RSX
- Trinity Black Widow
- CRC Carpet Knife V3.2
- Corally SP12M
- CEFX
- Team Super Merchant Rev4

You can go wrong with an Associated RC12L4 or a Corally. If you want an exotic car, run one out of Associated and Corally

terry.sc
19-03-2007, 11:53 AM
1/12th is great, start with an L4, change the tyres and you are ready to go. There are detail setup changes to refine the handling to your driving style but the kit setup will be more or less right. As long as you make sure it isn't tweaked it will work just about anywhere.

If you have been used to driving touring cars though you will have to learn how to drive properly. ;)

Strange cos though i can't see the appeal of tc, and i don't see why if your into tc why you would'nt want to run 1/12th, it would have to make ya a better driver
Probably because it's more about the driver than the car? Throwing money at 1/12th won't make you go any faster and having a year old car doesn't mean you are uncompetitive;)

Chequered Flag Racing
19-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Throwing money at 1/12th won't make you go any faster and having a year old car doesn't mean you are uncompetitive;)

I know someone who does and he can't get any higher than an A final :p and it's not me, although I've tried :)

FifteenthNeo

RC12L4 is the way to go. More folk run them.

2 hop-ups that get bought for this car are the IRS lowered front arms (£7.50 a pair) and IRS/Calandra rear pod plates (£30). Both allow you to run the foams a little longer on the car as they wear down.

Foams if your on a budget, get the BRM purple front/grey rears, good enough for the A final @ a national last season with Anthony Potter and I made a C @ Hereford last year in mod on same compounds using a 19T motor.

losidan
19-03-2007, 07:53 PM
l4 is great car....spashett won the euros with the new corally

Chequered Flag Racing
19-03-2007, 08:20 PM
He's also the current World Champ using the Corally SP12X ‘US Spec’ which uses the L4 front suspension :)

losidan
19-03-2007, 08:33 PM
modified l4 front innit?

Chequered Flag Racing
19-03-2007, 08:44 PM
modified l4 front innit?

there's a Euro Spec & USA Spec car

Euro spec use's Corally front end and rear axle and own brand foams/wheels as they have for years.

USA spec uses same chassis as it is pre drilled to take the AE front end and a modified Corally axle to use the 3 stud fixing rims from Jaco/GRP/Parma/BRM/CRC etc. More choice of foams with this set-up = more sales States side ;)

FifteenthNeo
19-03-2007, 09:35 PM
So, would the SP12X with an L4 front end compete well? Whats the cost of a complete L4 front end:rolleyes:

So many choices LOL:wtf:

Chequered Flag Racing
20-03-2007, 10:20 AM
So, would the SP12X with an L4 front end compete well? Whats the cost of a complete L4 front end:rolleyes:

So many choices LOL:wtf:

go for the L4 rather than SP12X, t-bars are less than half the price @ £4.60, SP12X ones are £11.99. Also pays to have a spare t-bar built up ready for club night when you need to change it in a hurry.

also run 48dp if you can as you will end up stripping 64dp whilst you learn the art of 12th. You'll finish more of your 8 minute runs/races :) Change to 64dp once your up to speed

CRC/AE complete front end retails approx £32

start with 19t motor as you'll find it's quick without being OTT. You'll keep up with the modified OK @ club meets

emailed details on setting up 12th chassis

LiamD
20-03-2007, 06:17 PM
l4 is great car....spashett won the euros with the new corally

To be fair, you could give Spashett the original Corally and he'd still probably beat the majority of us. :D

losidan
20-03-2007, 07:18 PM
To be fair, you could give Spashett the original Corally and he'd still probably beat the majority of us. :D

he'd probably beat me with two wheels missing off his car

Juddy
24-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Your bang on their Terry LoL.
Got a l3 off ebay, going to take it to race at Norwich asap, we are going to run 1/12th at lawford buggy club this winter! I, we would be grateful of any tips, advice anyone has to offer, eg prima duo comes in 4 by 50 sqft rolls if we cut it in half would that be big enough for a track ( 8, 25ft)?
Also i've heard its good to have enough foams to run a diffrent set each run, i don't think i or others could manage that would 2 over 6 runs do?

Thanks Juddy

losidan
24-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Your bang on their Terry LoL.
Got a l3 off ebay, going to take it to race at Norwich asap, we are going to run 1/12th at lawford buggy club this winter! I, we would be grateful of any tips, advice anyone has to offer, eg prima duo comes in 4 by 50 sqft rolls if we cut it in half would that be big enough for a track ( 8, 25ft)?
Also i've heard its good to have enough foams to run a diffrent set each run, i don't think i or others could manage that would 2 over 6 runs do?

Thanks Juddy

cant see it about the foams mate....a set should get you through a full meet easy. i think the to end guys have different sets but no need.

i used to have an l3.. great car still and there are loads of conversions like xenon, hara hammer and shooters.

incidentally i only mentioned corally as i have one myself...i got it given

terry.sc
24-03-2007, 11:25 PM
One roll of Prima Duo is easily big enough to get a decent track on, cutting it into 3 or 4 pieces would give you a better area work with, depending on the room you have. Just cutting it in half makes a very long and narrow area.
To join the carpet gaffer tape does the best job, but it takes ages to put down and take up and costs a fortune. We use a decent quality sticky 2 inch parcel tape bought by the boxful from a local supplier. We did try cheap tape bought from ebay, but that ended up with cars regularly under the carpet - a 1/12th body seems to be designed to lift the tape if the car is set too low and the body scrapes the track. To lay the tape we just stretch out the tape the full length of the join, place it on the carpet while keeping it under tension then walk along it to press it down, takes very little time once you get the hang of it.
Interestingly the shiny, low grip strips of tape across the track doesn't seem to make too much difference to the cars handling, it doesn't take too long to figure out that if there is tape at the apex of a corner you wait until the car is past it before accelerating. Just make sure you don't position the track layout so a join runs down the length of a straight.

The reason the top boys use a different set of tyres for each run is consistency. When you first treat your tyres they are dry and the additive soaks in. After you have wiped it off and raced the tyres have not dried out and still contain some of the additive and some of the tyre is still softened. You treat them for the second time and it just softens the tyre more, so they generate more grip the second time you run them. Using each set of tyres for one run only makes sure you know exactly how much grip the car will have every time you put it on the track, as the grip is the same with the foams as they wear down. It also means all the tyres are exactly the same diameter at the start of every race so your gearing will be exactly the same each time. As the tyres wear and the diameter get smaller the rollout changes and you are supposed to change your gearing to compensate for this, although you're taking it a bit too seriously if you are checking rollout tables between races at a club meet.

As they aren't softened twice or more each week, using 5 sets of tyres for 5 races each week will actually last more than 5 times as long as just using one set of tyres so it is actually a little cheaper in the long run.

Personally as my club doesn't take it's racing seriously we generally just use one set of tyres continually until they are worn out as we can't be bothered spending all the time between races working on our cars and generally accept the lower grip in the first race each week. The way round the different grip levels is to put lots of additive on at first, then use less additive (on for less time) for the rest of the night, gets easier to work out how much to use when you have had a few weeks running.

Regarding additive which one you use isn't too important but you will find it is best to use the same additive as everyone else, the additive ends up in the carpet as you race and some additives just don't work well with each other.

Juddy
27-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks for that chaps,

Yeah Thats another thing i like about 12th is that it seems you can mix and match bits and bobs to make your own car, my mate got a l4 with side dampers, has'nt run it yet. would that make it more of a tforce kind of thing, or just a l4 with side dampers:wtf: ?

thanks Terry thats just what we needed to know, 3 strips 16 by 12 would be far better:confused: . I was hoping that was the case with tires, i was worried in case we said one set would be fine, but they turned to jelly after a month.