PDA

View Full Version : SHRINK WRAPPED Avante 1500 on Ebay

davidmog99
07-03-2009, 06:11 PM
This still has 19 hours to go!:o

emtee
07-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Whoever is willing to spend money on this needs to get out more....

man, that is so, so SAD... what's wrong with these people? It's still just a Tamiya for goodness sake...

These kind of saddo's will also collect their own bodily emissions...

FERRETTI
07-03-2009, 08:43 PM

man, that is so, so SAD... what's wrong with these people? It's still just a Tamiya for goodness sake...

Your opinion and their money, some people would spend more than double this on cigarettes and or alcohol in a year. I spend what feels like a fortune on my hobby so I would usually not berate others for spending what they wish on theirs.

jim76
07-03-2009, 09:02 PM
it'll be an investment. think how much it will be worth in another 10-20 years?

it is a rare classic.

jim76
07-03-2009, 09:14 PM
scrap that, have you seen the sand scorcher from the same seller going for 2500?!!!

he said the last one went for over 5k! Jesus, i thought Avante's were the auction daddies!

FERRETTI
07-03-2009, 09:46 PM
scrap that, have you seen the sand scorcher from the same seller going for 2500?!!!

he said the last one went for over 5k! Jesus, i thought Avante's were the auction daddies!

Scorchers are a win win, the Tamiya guys want them and the Beetle guys want them and they're not the top of the tree check out the value of NIB Porsche 934 Blacks. I don't think Avante's are even third on the wanted list, have a look at how much NIB 3 Speeds fetch (Original HiLux, Blazer, Bruiser and Mountaineer)

emtee
07-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Hhmmm... somehow this thread has been hijacked by tamiya spotters and hardcore serious people...

what's it gonna be worth in 10-20 yrs...? jeez louise... it's supposed to be a plaything dude... get real... collectors suck!!!

terry.sc
07-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Whoever is willing to spend money on this needs to get out more....How much have you spent on your race equipment, and how much is that lot going to be worth in a year? The Avante is going to be worth the same or usually even more. On that basis who is spending their money sensibly?

Just because some have an interest in the history of the hobby doesn't mean they are 'sad', I'm presuming you have never seen an Avante up close. Can I also assume you are one of the tiny minority only run an r/c car on a track? The majority of r/c bashers would consider it pretty sad to spend all day tweaking and tuning an r/c car for 25 minutes of running on a circuit, compared with spending hours jumping and bashing your car or truck.

If someone wants to collect NIB kits that's their choice, some buy them as an investment. Those with enough money buy them to build and run, to relive their memories of their first time with r/cs. Those who can't afford NIB will buy new builts or runners.
They don't interest me but I know they are a much better investment than the restored runners I have as I prefer to actually give mine a run every so often, based on the age it makes me more like a Sierra Cosworth owner who takes it out for a run every so often, although I presume you would consider that pretty 'sad' when the Cosworth owner could have a new Mondeo for a lot less money.:eh?:

I'm sure they are plenty here who consider anyone who runs touring cars as pretty sad.:p

traffman
07-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Id buy it and post pics on the tamiya site of me opening it and building it , then running it at my local club .
Of course id recycle the cardboard box.;)

big air
07-03-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm sure they are plenty here who consider anyone who runs touring cars as pretty sad.:p

i run a touring car :mad::lol::p:p

emtee
08-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Whooooaaaa... easy there.... my first RC was bought over 35 years ago.... 'n yes I HAVE seen an Avante close up, even driven 'n broken one... 'n like a lot of RC cars of that time 'n earlier it was a bag o' sh1te, cheap thermo plastic that you couldn't run in any ambient temperature lower than the summer of '76 without something snapping... (Kyosho were always better for winter running...) 'n yes I do run and tweak my TC chassis for 25 mins running, but when I'm not using it I can usually be found OUTSIDE (yes you heard right...) with my AE RC10 b2...(bought as built but never run...) or maybe even my Tamiya Fighter RX (bought unbuilt, MIB 2 summers back...) which I like to bash in the cul-de-sac or down on the un-tarmacced rugby club carpark... so come on guys, the RC manufacturers make our favourite things for us to play with... not to sit on a shelf appreciating in price... 'n BTW the true Sierra Cosworth (3 dr. moonstone blue...) was made as a LIMITED homologation run so it deserves to be preserved... it was not a millions produced plastic toy from Japan... I appreciate some things deserve to be saved... but a Tamiya Avante? Go get 'em out of the box 'n give 'em a run... that's what they are made for!!!

big air
08-03-2009, 12:32 AM
'n BTW the true Sierra Cosworth (3 dr. moonstone blue...) was made as a LIMITED homologation run so it deserves to be preserved...

actually it was the sierra rs 500 that was a homologation special, bigger turbo and an extra 4 injectors,"not wired up" amongst other things.
and was available in white black and moonstone blue.

emtee
08-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Id buy it and post pics on the tamiya site of me opening it and building it , then running it at my local club .
Of course id recycle the cardboard box.;)

LOL... I'm with you on that one...!

BTW, did you read the question someone asked of the seller...? Priceless!!

emtee
08-03-2009, 12:40 AM
actually it was the sierra rs 500 that was a homologation special, bigger turbo and an extra 4 injectors,"not wired up" amongst other things.
and was available in white black and moonstone blue.

I was gonna post that description but thought the Tamiya spotters wouldn't know what I was on about... ;)

Rich D
08-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Whooooaaaa... easy there.... my first RC was bought over 35 years ago.... 'n yes I HAVE seen an Avante close up, even driven 'n broken one... 'n like a lot of RC cars of that time 'n earlier it was a bag o' sh1te, cheap thermo plastic that you couldn't run in any ambient temperature lower than the summer of '76 without something snapping... (Kyosho were always better for winter running...) 'n yes I do run and tweak my TC chassis for 25 mins running, but when I'm not using it I can usually be found OUTSIDE (yes you heard right...) with my AE RC10 b2...(bought as built but never run...) or maybe even my Tamiya Fighter RX (bought unbuilt, MIB 2 summers back...) which I like to bash in the cul-de-sac or down on the un-tarmacced rugby club carpark... so come on guys, the RC manufacturers make our favourite things for us to play with... not to sit on a shelf appreciating in price... 'n BTW the true Sierra Cosworth (3 dr. moonstone blue...) was made as a LIMITED homologation run so it deserves to be preserved... it was not a millions produced plastic toy from Japan... I appreciate some things deserve to be saved... but a Tamiya Avante? Go get 'em out of the box 'n give 'em a run... that's what they are made for!!!

Each to their own dude, most of us collectors/enthusiasts have cars that we run aswell as cars that we collect. For me, its not about the investment, its about owning the objects of my desire as a 12 year old kid on 7 a week paper round money :lol:. If you have got the money to collect NIB models and thats what you want to do, then i dont see a problem with it. I dont drive any of my vintage Tamiyas as i suspect that they look far better than they will drive compared to what i run today !

Cosworth - yes had one of those too as it happens back when i was a boy racer in 1997. Nothing but trouble as far as i remember - head gasket twice, turbo, hoses etc etc etc. It cost me 6k in 6 months and 6000 miles. That was just the depreciation - never mind running costs at 12 mpg when you booted it. Certainly less smiles per than i get from RC anyway !

emtee
08-03-2009, 01:14 AM
ok, ok already... each to their own...

This is what makes this hobby so great... PASSION...

Anyway, its now 01-15 and it has stopped raining... I'm off outside to bash the xray... catch y'all tomorrow Tammy geeks...

Kyosho rules.... ;)

Rich D
08-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Ok you have fun with your XRay in the dark :eh?: :p :lol: :yawn:

FERRETTI
08-03-2009, 10:36 AM

collectors suck!!!

catch y'all tomorrow Tammy geeks...

Forgive me Sir if I am mistaken but you appear to be presenting yourself as a bit of an ignoramus and I am sure you will vehemently testify that this is not the case.

Opinions are all well and good but manifested in this manner are most definitely not diplomatic or understanding, please in future try to exercise some of these more desirable traits when sharing your personal feeling and beliefs of other peoples interests.

Hhmmm... somehow this thread has been hijacked by tamiya spotters and hardcore serious people...

What did you expect, look at the title of the thread and the forum, maybe this is part of the problem, have you strayed from your zone of comfort, please stay and make an effort to better understand others.

To this ends you might like to visit this forum, you maybe surprised to learn that not just Tamiya attract "geeks":rolleyes:

http://www.rc10talk.com/

Kyosho have never ruled, Losi maybe, Schumacher once definitely and Associated on a number of occasions but Kyosho I don't think so:lol:

peetbee
08-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Many diplomatic and worthy statements

Kyosho have never ruled, Losi maybe, Schumacher once definitely and Associated on a number of occasions but Kyosho I don't think so:lol:

Once in 1987 with the Ultima I think, but apart from that I believe you are correct!

FERRETTI
08-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Once in 1987 with the Ultima I think, but apart from that I believe you are correct!

Yes now you mention it I'm happy to stand corrected, would that have been Joel Johnson with his "Ultima":lol:

Welshy40
08-03-2009, 11:57 AM

Almost right. Peter got it spot on when in 1987 the Ultima won the worlds. Kyosho also won the nationals in the hands of Jamie Booth and Ellis Stafford quite litterally obliterated everyone at the euros. They also have made more worlds a finals than tamiya in 1/10th off road. Also worth mentioning Kyosho they have won worlds at touring nitro and a shed load of 1/8th off road titles as well.

Also worth mentioning that Gil Losi dominated with Kyosho in an event equivalent to the worlds in 1982 with Kyosho Scorpion in the stock and modified classes. He won them both.

Also I only see Tamiya winning touring cars worlds, none in Off Road so Tamiya are not so good in Off Road, sorry but the facts are there. Check out this link and it states the manufacturer. Tamiya have taken years to get their cars right and now the build quality is spot on, but the old cars were so brittle you could break the chassi just by over tightening the screws, no wonder they were no good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Federation_of_Model_Auto_Racing

emtee
08-03-2009, 01:31 PM
FERRETTI...? You jus' gotta love that guy... sooooo wordy 'n serious, but I kinda dig him.... He's almost as opinionated as me!!! (bet he's got some trains tho...!!)

So, thanks for your reactions guys... I'm now gonna log onto my page at Tamiyaclub... yes, that's right... I'm a member too!!! :p

see y'all..... :lol:

Rich D
08-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Welcome to TC :lol: :thumbsup:

emtee
08-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Welcome to TC :lol: :thumbsup:

:confused: Is that TamiyaClub or Touring Cars....

Rich D
08-03-2009, 01:43 PM
The former but i race both :D

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=27923

tymill
08-03-2009, 02:17 PM
3000 dollars. wow.

big air
08-03-2009, 02:36 PM
The former but i race both :D

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=27923

nice cat mate where did you get the custom red anodizing done,:drool:

emtee
08-03-2009, 03:47 PM
3000 dollars. wow.

Tell me that's NOT for the Avante...! :cry:

Rich D
08-03-2009, 04:18 PM
nice cat mate where did you get the custom red anodizing done,:drool:

Cheers mate, the anodizing was done when i got the car. i bought it from Andy ( GRIFF55 ) on here - top fella :)

I believe that Ben on here is intending to start doing some anodizing so drop him a PM if you are interested !

Rich D
08-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Tell me that's NOT for the Avante...! :cry:

:lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120384218636&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=002

Im sure it wont be this guys last 2k - i guess its all relative to what you earn each month !

FERRETTI
08-03-2009, 04:30 PM
FERRETTI...? You jus' gotta love that guy... sooooo wordy 'n serious, but I kinda dig him.... He's almost as opinionated as me!!! (bet he's got some trains tho...!!)

Sorry to disappoint Sir, I have no trains my passion extends only to RC cars, planes, helis, 1:1 motorcycles and M.M.A. and the only opinion I have aired is the desire that respect be show to others, I'm sorry to see that you do not appear to share this philosophy as in almost every one of your posts in this thread you seem to prefer the sport of ridicule:thumbdown::bored:

jimmy
08-03-2009, 05:30 PM
I think if you don't like vintage rc and don't understand it - best not to post in this section :lol:

big air
08-03-2009, 09:12 PM
I think if you don't like vintage rc and don't understand it - best not to post in this section :lol:

agreed :lol:

Welshy40
08-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Cheers mate, the anodizing was done when i got the car. i bought it from Andy ( GRIFF55 ) on here - top fella :)

I believe that Ben on here is intending to start doing some anodizing so drop him a PM if you are interested !

PM Griff55 as I did and had a few items anodized blue. The company is top notch.

Also I agree with Jimmy. There are ways to discuss and put your opinions across, but as we know Ferretti doesnt come across in the correct way. Maybe it would be better to go elsewhere or think before you write and be a bit more diplomatic in your messaging.

peetbee
08-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Also I agree with Jimmy. There are ways to discuss and put your opinions across, but as we know Ferretti doesnt come across in the correct way. Maybe it would be better to go elsewhere or think before you write and be a bit more diplomatic in your messaging.
er James, surely you meant emtee with regards to not being diplomatic?

emtee
08-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm sure welshy40 did not mean me... (lol..) but I do agree with him... I'll leave you in peace... yeh I know you're gonna miss me, maybe I'll drop in every now and again, or not...

I'll say one thing tho'... you guys have a commitment to collecting I would never be able to understand... and your forum has an enviable "team" thing going on that is very refreshing... It's kinda made me think (dangerous I know...) about the old RC stuff I have... after all, it is getting harder to find replacement bits when something breaks!

All the best fellahs... keep up the good work preserving RC for future generations to appreciate what is was like "back in the day..." :thumbsup:

B44&501xRacerEX
09-03-2009, 04:09 AM
3000 dollars. wow.

That's nuts!! And a lucky american buyer got it.:lol:
I've seen new sealed Tamiya 959's go for 2000 dollars before.
When certain people want something bad enough.:bored:

peetbee
09-03-2009, 07:13 AM
yeh I know you're gonna miss me, maybe I'll drop in every now and again, or not...

I'll say one thing tho'... you guys have a commitment to collecting I would never be able to understand... and your forum has an enviable "team" thing going on that is very refreshing... It's kinda made me think (dangerous I know...) about the old RC stuff I have... after all, it is getting harder to find replacement bits when something breaks!

We'll miss you!:cry:
:D
I will agree with you there. I don't understand the level of commitment either, my two 'vintage' cars were purely nostalgia from when I first started. Now I've got them I either can't justify the expense or want any other cars.
I do appreciate what others have done though.
All the best.

Welshy40
09-03-2009, 03:10 PM
WOW!!! 3K for that!!!

Well I have seen a few Tamiya and Kyosho and a german manufacturer that apparantly made the first RC car go recently for unbelievable money.

The last one that got me was the Lazer ZX-S and that went for 2400. Ok it was new and unused but makes me wonder how much I will be able to get for the two I have (one is new and unused) as they are both prototypes.

Still each to their own, as we all have one particular one we like and want so no harm in it I suppose. Its better blowing 3k on that than on drugs and cigarettes, so cannot really complain. Its all harmless fun.

Belsten
09-03-2009, 04:38 PM
WOW!!! 3K for that!!!

Well I have seen a few Tamiya and Kyosho and a german manufacturer that apparantly made the first RC car go recently for unbelievable money.

The last one that got me was the Lazer ZX-S and that went for 2400. Ok it was new and unused but makes me wonder how much I will be able to get for the two I have (one is new and unused) as they are both prototypes.

Still each to their own, as we all have one particular one we like and want so no harm in it I suppose. Its better blowing 3k on that than on drugs and cigarettes, so cannot really complain. Its all harmless fun.

is it ?

I reckon a pair would be worth 20k

GRIFF55
09-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Don't say that, he'll you know what:lol: ( insert you tube link here Belsten!)

Have to say i love vintage cars and if i had the money, i'd have an awesome collection!! Good on you guys keeping the old cars alive!

Welshy40
09-03-2009, 07:06 PM
is it ?

I reckon a pair would be worth 20k

Hehehe are you on about another pair ????:p:p:p

Belsten
09-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Don't say that, he'll you know what:lol: ( insert you tube link here Belsten!)

Have to say i love vintage cars and if i had the money, i'd have an awesome collection!! Good on you guys keeping the old cars alive!

as requested, thanks to my bro for sending it to me in the 1st place, priceless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

Body Paint
09-03-2009, 09:36 PM
LMFAO!!!!! I just pissed in my pants :lol:

Welshy40
09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
:lol::lol::lol:superb mate!!!!!:lol::lol::lol: easily number one!!!:lol::lol::lol:

traffman
12-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Lol im loving that , the faces is pure genius .
Thank you so much for making my day.:D

dodgydiy
16-03-2009, 11:32 PM
now that is as good video!!!!

93works
19-03-2009, 08:03 AM
very cool