PDA

View Full Version : HELP !!!!!!!!!!

Medders
23-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Got my hands on a second hand B4 and gear which all looks well and I can't wait to start racing again.

However, one small if annoying problem.

The front wheels appear to be held on by allen key type screws. Unfortunatley the heads of the screws are somewhat damaged which is preventing the allen key from griping enough to undo the screw. So I can't get the screws out / wheels off.

Does anyone have any ingenious suggestions to get these damn things off without doing too much damage. Any help would greatly appeciated.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/totalrubbish/wheel.jpg (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/totalrubbish/wheel.jpg)

bigred5765
23-01-2007, 07:55 PM
take a dremmel and a thin cutting disk grind a small line in and un do it with a screw driver

Northy
23-01-2007, 08:04 PM
You do know you need an imperial allan key don't you?

Are you going to York on Saturday night then?

G

shinytopman
23-01-2007, 08:31 PM
if all else fails u can norm grip them with a small pair of side cutters, enough to undo them anyway.

Medders
23-01-2007, 08:32 PM
You do know you need an imperial allan key don't you?

Are you going to York on Saturday night then?

G

it is the right allan key :D even i'm not that stupid :eh?:

York? Isn't that a championship 4wd night? Was planning to go to Batley.

Medders
23-01-2007, 08:33 PM
take a dremmel and a thin cutting disk grind a small line in and un do it with a screw driver

I like the idea (if I had a dremmel).

Ingenious though !! Cheers.

Northy
23-01-2007, 09:19 PM
it is the right allan key :D even i'm not that stupid :eh?:

York? Isn't that a championship 4wd night? Was planning to go to Batley.

We still race 2wd on a 4wd championship night. If I go I willbe running my new 2wd, need to tune the set-up a little...... anyone seen any steering? :confused:

G

Rob
23-01-2007, 10:44 PM
You need a decent 1/16th hex driver. If the screw is really knackered then the only way is to cut a groove in it likes someone else suggested.

PaulRotheram
23-01-2007, 10:51 PM
We still race 2wd on a 4wd championship night. If I go I willbe running my new 2wd, need to tune the set-up a little...... anyone seen any steering? :confused:

G

Told ya ;)

Get a proper wrench, or find some one with a dremel to do the job for you.

Getting a full good set of hex wrenches (AE, Losi, Hudy, Team Magic etc)makes maintaining cars a hundred times easier, and they will last a very long time due to the quality of the heads.

Oscar
23-01-2007, 10:52 PM
I have had this problem myself, I just drill the head of the screw with a 3 or 4mm bit untill the head breaks free. Then you can remove the wheel and a pair of pliers will remove the rest of the screw easily as once the wheel is off there is no tension on it.

Medders
23-01-2007, 11:06 PM
I have had this problem myself, I just drill the head of the screw with a 3 or 4mm bit untill the head breaks free. Then you can remove the wheel and a pair of pliers will remove the rest of the screw easily as once the wheel is off there is no tension on it.

I was thinking of drilling it, sounds like another good idea unless I can lay my hands on a dremmel.
As does getting some decent tools :D

cheers folks

PaulRotheram
23-01-2007, 11:14 PM
took me a year or so before getting some decent tools, i'm yet to replace them and ive been racing a good 7 years :p