PDA

View Full Version : How did I do this?

jimmy
27-01-2007, 02:58 AM
Ok, I spent the last few hours (!!! Really) to get some photos of the team AZARASHI bodyshell for the ZX5 / KMC - and other 4WD cars. For a review of the shell on the ZX5.

Anyway - You don't win anything - but kudos to the person who is closest with the explanation of how I did this image.:)

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/misc/azarashi.jpg

lio
27-01-2007, 08:23 AM
I try,
The bodyshell is on the keyboard of a laptop,
The red light come from an optical mouse,
The orange light is the ambiant light,
and the dog is a full screen MS-paint sketch.
:p

telboy
27-01-2007, 08:43 AM
right,

its night time,
you're on the top of a volcano (red glow)
Theres a fire to your left (orange glow)
and theres a giant glowing wild cat about to attack you,
you started to run away from the cat and dropped the bodyshell (that you just happened to have with you) then as you turned you dropped the camera which (with the force of the impact on the floor) went off and took this lovely looking photo.
jeez, I hope you're ok jimmy, did you manage to outrun the cat?!:wtf:

No on en needs to say owt now 'cos thats OBVIOUSLY the right answer.

andys
27-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Jimmy.

I reckon the post shoud be titled "Why did I do this !"

Anyway...

Look forward to the review, I've being considering getting one of these shells, undertray and wing combos.

My guess would be :

Cartoon face is on a monitor screen.
Red glow from a light off to the right of the shell, hence hot spot. Light could possibly have a red bulb, or some kind of red filter on it.

Possibly some kind of reflective surface under the shell ??

Do I win the shell now and save myself the £40 is costs !

DCM
27-01-2007, 09:20 AM
I don't care how it was done, it looks ACE, Fan-Dabby-Dosey for you old uns out there!!!

jimmy
27-01-2007, 02:00 PM
why did I do this - haha:D That could apply to anything on this website andy!
Its the logo of team Azarashi by the way.

oh, and no ones quite there yet :p the red line thru the side of the lil seal is a clue tho.

sosidge
27-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Is it inside the boot of your car with the light cover taken off so you get the glow of the lights?

Stu
27-01-2007, 04:19 PM
No ambient light at all
Long exposure
Screen in background showing image
Red line is sensor reflection flare from whatever LED is nearby (something on standby?)

BenG
27-01-2007, 05:44 PM
PHOTOSHOP :D:D:D;)

jimmy
27-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Stu shows his photographic skills! very close mate!

ashleyb4
27-01-2007, 07:10 PM
The shell is on your laptop keyboard the logo is on the screen beghind it. The red light is off your optical mouse the orange light is long exsposure. And the orange is the red light that is refracted through the body changeing it slightly orange. And the room is in darkness.

A

PaulRotheram
27-01-2007, 07:14 PM
i dunno the fancy words, but youl understand i hope jimmah!

is the camera on a low shutter setting, and the light is from the camera sensor thingy bob, with a screen in backgrounf with image on.

probably the same as stu said :eh?:

jimmy
27-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Its too long a story so I'll make a little article about it - just wondered if anyone could figure it out. hehe. There is no photoshop, just a photo.

ashleyb4
27-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Yea i was thinking of the little orange light you have on some camera's like i rember stu having a little light on his so maybe jimmys in the same.

A

jimmy
27-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Cameras don't have lights on them when taking photos, or it would ruin the shot by putting light all over everything! hehe..

The shot above is a 15 second photo by the way :p

Oscar
27-01-2007, 07:37 PM
No comment on how its done;), but my 2 year old says the logo is Sammy the Seal:)

RLGfx
27-01-2007, 07:52 PM
well, could it be in front of the pc monitor? with the logo shown full screen, and the red LED power light shining through the body?

PS helloooo!

jimmy
27-01-2007, 08:01 PM
There's probably no way anyone'd "get" how it's done but no its not a monitor. Even displaying black, a monitor over 15 seconds would probably give out way too much light - but it's worth a try and a good idea.. I might try that next time.

The coloured light is a mobile phone light.

The logo in the back is plotter cut black vinyl on a large sheet of 5mm polycarbonate. a double layer of white material is behind it to diffuse the light and give and even coverage. I built a box behind this screen to house my flash. about 10 flashes from my 580EX flash are used to make the logo glow a bit - then I picked up the phone, moved it around toward the rear of the shell and changed the colour (on the phone) to yellow as I moved over toward the rear.

I could have hand painted this image in photoshop in half the time this photo took to create - but it was worth the effort.

RLGfx
27-01-2007, 08:03 PM
:p that's dedication for you...

jimmy
27-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Dedication - or stupidity! haha
Welcome by the way mate !

Here are a couple of other images from my evenings experimentation:

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/misc/lightpainting2.jpg

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/misc/lightpainting.jpg

Straight out of the camera

ryan
27-01-2007, 10:05 PM
WOW:p they are the best. Nice work jimmy:D

telboy
27-01-2007, 10:21 PM
haah thats hillarious!:D ...but cool.

I was going to say perspex (allthough I though it was on the bottom with the light coming through from the rear...if you kno wat I mean)as a serious answer but I've only just managed to get on here.:( ...but I was wrong anyway.

loving the oople one, top stuff!

You've got FAR to much time on your hands by the way.

Stu
27-01-2007, 10:24 PM
What is the red line in the original picture?

jimmy
27-01-2007, 10:36 PM
After flashing behind the seal logo I quickly dropped a black tshirt over the whole polycarbonate sheet to stop it reflecting the phone light

then I picked up the phone and moved it over the shell to light it up. the line is where the phone has just slightly been tilted toward the camera too much so you can see the bulb as I moved it across the frame..

This is over a 15 second exposure and it took a lot of work to get it to that stage.

why? who knows! time? nah! its filled with doing stupid stuff like this and other reviews, haha.