PDA

View Full Version : V2 Springs

tc2k
28-01-2007, 07:08 PM
I just thought Id try get a general opinion. Now unlucky for me Im still stuck with a brushed motor :rolleyes:.
When I rebuilt it last night, I had some Rheinard 9 coil springs and decided Id try these. When I put them in, I found them extremely stiff, so hard I nearly ruined the new brushes trying to put them in. I can tell already there much too stiff and will probably mean alot more comm wear.
My motor is an Orion Revolution 12x1 HT V2, now I only get around 6 runs between a skim, and I think it'll be even less with these springs. What springs does the motor come with when you buy it, what are you running and would soft springs be too soft.

Chrislong
28-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Hi mate,
The Rheinard motor is a very good motor, but the super stiff springs are best suited with a 7x1 motor which Rheinard used to win the worlds with, which then prompted the release of the range using the same component set.

When I ran a Rheinard (10x1) I fitted the medium spring and it ran like a dream, very good. But with the stiff spring the drag-brake was too extreme for off-road, and the comm wear was immense.

Then I was lucky for Oscar to rebuild it for me during the Euros in France, and he refitted it with medium/hard springs, which I feared to be too much again, but on the track the car was like a rocket and the drag brake although was more than id normal desire, I was able to control it fine.

I always used sprint edge brushes too.

Chris

Chris

tc2k
28-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Wow, thanks for the quicky reply chris!
The motor isnt a Rheinard edition just incase you thought it was, it's just the regular Revolution with rheinard springs.
I think Ill order a set of medium and soft springs along with some enduro brushes to see how they go.

Richard Lowe
28-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Chris is spot on, I had a Rheinard 10x1 (didn't I buy it from you Mr Long?! :o ) which I tried the Rheinard springs in and I took them out after one run, they were useless in a buggy.

I always used to run my V2's with a med-hard spring on the negative and hard spring on the positive brush, like Chris I always run sprint edge brushes in them too.

tc2k
28-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Rich, I assume you have never used the soft springs. What do you think wear and performance would be like, would it result in more rpm or torque etc and would wear be better.

Richard Lowe
28-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Softer springs will give you more RPM, less torque and in theory less comm wear. In practice you might get more from the brushes bouncing around and arcing, you won't know until you try them.

I'd advise against the enduro brushes, whenever I tried them they were much harder on the comm, the brushes lasted longer but I was skimming more.

Another thing that worked for me was to turn the timing down to one notch and gear up a bit, it made the powerband much wider and smoother, even if the outright power wasn't quite as much as high timing/low gearing. A benefit of the lower timing was much lower motor temperatures and less brush/comm wear in general.
With the sprints and lower timing in the 4wd I was getting 5 runs with a 9x1, skim, then 5 runs and skim/rebrush. So long as you keep the temperature down the sprints actually last ok, if you get them too hot the lubricant in them burns very easily and they start killing the comm.
A good indication of if they're knackered is how smoothly they move in the tubes, if after a run they are lumpy and stick when you pull on the braid they need changing.

xx4-nutter
28-01-2007, 11:16 PM
hi guys,

on the topic of motors, at batley indoor regional my car went off the line fine in one of the heats i went over the first jump and it stook in mid range speed all the way down the streight and i had steering with no brakes or decelaration it just stayed i tried to turn into the corner and it just hit the wall. ( pictured below )

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/batley121106/imagepages/batley32.html

the motor i was using was a V2 edition motor (11x2) on an MRT VX Pro speedo, upon looking at my car after the accedent i cheacked out the motor and noticed it was VERY stiff almost locked tight, i took the motor apart and it looked fine nothing looked out of place anywhere and the comm was fine. put it back together and it was tights again ( the endbell wasnt over tightend at any point, nor was the ring inside the can bent at all ).

can anyone point me in the direction of whats wrong with it ? if any one whos at york saturday coming would you be able ot have a look for me or give me a diognosis now lol ?. should i trash the can and endbell and keep the armeture :confused:

any help would be nice.

Garry D.

Richard Lowe
28-01-2007, 11:33 PM
What are the bearings like, are they stiff or has one collapsed?

If not come and find me next week at York :)

tc2k
29-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Can I just ask, whats the difference between the sprint edge and the regular sprint brush. Also, is there a middleground between the spring and enduro brush?

Chrislong
29-01-2007, 08:34 AM
The edge brush has a flat face on the leading and trailing edge of the brush.

losixxx
29-01-2007, 09:37 AM
there is infact a brand new peak/orion vantage brush just released before christmas by peak PEK2281
its a sprint long life brush, giving the best of both worlds sprint for performance and enduro for long life. i have a few for sale if anyone's interested pm me

xx4-nutter
29-01-2007, 09:56 AM
What are the bearings like, are they stiff or has one collapsed?

If not come and find me next week at York :)

ye the bearings seem fine, im just soo puzzled :confused: . aslong as the armetures fine i dont care lol :D :D

will you be there this saturday rich ?

Richard Lowe
29-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Should be yeah :)