PDA

View Full Version : B4 tight diff

mikeyscott
04-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Just done a rebuild on the 2nd hand B4 I've got as it hasn't been run yet and the diff is now notchy. Does it need to be run in or has something been over tightended? I wound back the diff screw by 1/8 as instructed etc

Southwell
04-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Rebuilt as in? Replace the plates, balls and trust race plates/balls. Something is flat or damaged.

mikeyscott
04-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Nothing has been replaced it was just a case of a clean out and re-grease etc

Southwell
04-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Thats prob why then. At least replace the diff rings. They're only £1.50.

mikeyscott
04-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Time to order some more bits up :cry:

Should have just bought a new kit and been done with it.

Southwell
04-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Nah, it's a given when you rebulid a diff you need to replace the main diff rings as least every two-three rebuilds. Be aware the rings only work one way up, one side is flat.

mikeyscott
04-04-2009, 07:05 PM
I'll take it apart again. The manual didn't say anything about a one way fit :(

I'll order the rings and replace them once I've got everything working.

Southwell
04-04-2009, 07:06 PM
I believe it was an update, the originals fitted any way. Not 100% though.

mikeyscott
04-04-2009, 07:12 PM
MMm

Now I think the rings looked the same

Maybe just order them up and go from there

So I to tight diff would feel like?

Southwell
04-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Never tighten it 100% and back it off, just nip it up, put it in the car and tighten it bit by bit. If you tighten it right up you will damage something. Then feel for slip. Tighten the slipper right up and the diff should take a bit of force to get it to slip. Then back the slipper back off. It is an art to setting the diff first time out, you will get it eventually with practice.

mikeyscott
04-04-2009, 07:16 PM
I tightened it right up and then backed it off by 1/8 of a turn as per the manual.

I'll go through you method and see what it feels like

:)

The car isn't runable yet due to missing electrics

Southwell
04-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Those are the little things you will learn, when i build a new car i follow the step up to a point, then use experience, like diff settings, etc.

mikeyscott
04-04-2009, 07:48 PM
15 year break from RC Racing hasn't done the brain cells and experience any good :cry:

First Associated I've had. I used to race Schumachers and Losi XX etc.

mikeyscott
04-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Well I've loosened it ever so slightly and done it more by feel and it feels better.

My experience is slightly coming back...

Just need Apex and Modelsport to ship the things I've ordered :( Out of stock now for a couple of weeks :(

DMS Racing have been good, so I'm to the point of cancelling the orders and ordering from DMS

Currently sticking with a brushed set-up with classic batteries etc.

Once I'm happy I'll upgrade to the later stuff. Although I want to buy a MK2 S3 or MKV R32 late this year (bored of my Cupra)

Cheers for the help

chickentikka25
13-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Just a thought - I race touring cars and find that polishing my diff balls and plates with T-cut when I re-build makes them super slippery.

Although, ceramic diff balls should just be replaced every so often.

And I agree with Southwell - don't tighten it up fully then back it off, even though all manuals tell you to do that. You're more likely to break the diff bolt which puts you out of action until a spare is found. Or worst case, you'll knacker the thrust race....