PDA

View Full Version : What connectors do people run?

mikeyscott
05-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Hi,

I'm looking at doing Deans for my brushed motor and corrally for the batteries etc.

Anyone got any better recommendations?

Batteries aren't LIPO..

Cheers :)

davidmog99
05-04-2009, 01:37 PM
I use deans on everything i can.
If soldered on at the correct polarity, nothing can go wrong!

ashleyb4
05-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Corrally's for me.

A

Bungleaio
05-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Corrally connectors for me too, I solder the motor wires directly.

mikeyscott
05-04-2009, 05:12 PM
I would solder the wires too, but it came with connectors and plus it's too short anyway.

Think what I'll do is Dean's to the motor and then corrallys to the battery, but it's a fair point about getting the polarity right etc :)

coolcars782
08-04-2009, 11:19 PM
deans for everything

Agt26
08-04-2009, 11:44 PM
you can't go wrong with either deans or corrally connectors but i prefer corraly's :thumbsup:

mole2k
09-04-2009, 12:18 AM
I use corallys since im running trakpower lipo's now, prior to that I ran deans. I've always just soldered the motor direct. Deans are good since they are foolproof once you've got them on. For corallys I always ensure that the leads only fit one way round so as long as the battery is in the right way around you cant reverse the polarity.

If your handy with a soldering iron I would be inclined to rewire the speedo to put leads long enough to reach the motor (thats assuming the speedo as solder tabs).

mikeyscott
09-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Unfortunately the LRP Super Sport ESC I have doesn't have long enough wires.

I'm looking at the LRP 7.1 or 8.1 as an alternative, but will just get the car running first.

Also going to get my Tekin 700 Pro Pulse wired up as I reckon that is better than the LRP I have in my B4.

I've gone for corrallys all round. Mainly due to my crap soldering or crap iron. Blade is too big and it was impossible to do the Dean connector. It's a B&Q Iron. I'm probably going to take it back as the tip as started to fall apart and I've only used it three times since buying it a couple of weeks ago.

Southwell
09-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Just get a spec racing iron and be done with it. Mines got to be 10 years old, prob more.

mikeyscott
09-04-2009, 08:52 AM
How much are they then?

Southwell
09-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Hmm, on further investigation i cannot find them for sale any more. This seems pretty decent.
http://www.m-k-racing.com/product_info.php?products_id=3750

Give Marc a call at MK and he will advise you.

Bungleaio
09-04-2009, 09:21 AM
I've just made a replacement tip for my SPEC iron other than that it's still going strong, it's 14 years old now.

pugboy
09-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Nowt in it in terms of performance, Deans a little more fiddly to fit but ultimately the advantage is you cannot get the polarity wrong as you can with corraly type.

Mike Hudson
09-04-2009, 01:15 PM
corally all the way for me but deans is good just not viable for me as my lipo's have corally connectors inbeded in them.

ben
09-04-2009, 01:25 PM
deans for me.

blue_pinky
09-04-2009, 01:29 PM
I use Corally, as I beleive they have a higher current rating.

I've heard figures of 50A, 60A and 100A max on deans, numbers which todays ESC's/lipo's can exceed at peak.

Polarity with Corally is a weakness, but careful wire/heatshrink colour coding helps.

colmo
09-04-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm about to embark on soldering everything to fit the same connections (made more urgent by my Tamiya-plug charger blowing up).

For economy, I decided to get a huge bag of 3.5mm gold bullet connectors for ESC>motor connections - cost was minimal and I got some heatshrink thrown in, all from Hong Kong.

I hesitated about using them on Battery>ESC connections, and have a bag of 4mm gold bullet (aka Corally) connectors on the way for that purpose. Ideally, I wanted to fit the connectors with the two poles running in opposite male/female orientations to prevent reverse polarity, but for compatibility, may need to stick with the standard Corally method. Still not completely sure which approach to adopt.

poopers
16-04-2009, 07:46 PM
I’m not too experienced with connectors, or soldering, and was wondering what people’s opinion of Traxxas connectors is? The guys on RC Tech have been comparing them favourably to deans, as they appear to have a larger contact surface and they seem easier to solder.

I’m about to redo all my electrics and was trying to decide between Corally, Deans and possibly Traxxas.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Huw333
17-04-2009, 03:42 PM
I remember reading an article in Racer magazine several years ago (more than 10) where they compared all the connectors available at the time for resistance. If i remember rightly corallys were top with 0.009ohms and deans were a close second with 0.012ohms (or something like that). Since the connector designs havent changed since then i would assume the figures are still the same.

Personally i have always used corallys, and soldered the wires straight on the motor. Dont use tamiya connectors, they are rubbish - i've had several experiences of them getting melted together! (due to their high resistance)