View Full Version : Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 RTR @ Nuremburg Toy Fair

sosidge
05-02-2007, 11:17 AM
http://www.sosidge.com/hosted/lazerrtr01.jpg

http://www.sosidge.com/hosted/lazerrtrchassis.jpg

Source: Radio Control Zone

Sabben
05-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Awg! I hope you're kidding! If they're going to produse an rtr version of the zx-5 I will be very dissapionted of Kyosho as a brand!:wtf:

FifteenthNeo
05-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Awg! I hope you're kidding! If they're going to produse an rtr version of the zx-5 I will be very dissapionted of Kyosho as a brand!:wtf:

Why be dissapointed. Kyosho already make a few RTR models so why not the ZX5. If it gives people the chance to have a go at buggy racing on a budget then thats a good enough reason for an RTR for me. Thats the first thing people ask when they show an interest "what do I need to get started"?

jim76
05-02-2007, 11:44 PM

associated have a ready to run B4. beginners version of the best/most popular 2wd around.
why not for 4wd? the cars are easier for beginners to control. hopefully it will boost numbers in off road, as well as Kyosho owners, which is good for the average ZX5 owner as they may put more effort into the team drivers side of things.

Sabben
06-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Okai, maybe I was a little tuff there. But since the lazer i supposed to be a racing buggy, I think they should make a not that advanced buggy as a rtr-kit.

I don't know how to express my self...
But you don't see the v-one rrr or the Evolva 1/8 as rtr-kits...

Gosh! I am really bad in English!:o :p

BenG
06-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Okai, maybe I was a little tuff there. But since the lazer i supposed to be a racing buggy, I think they should make a not that advanced buggy as a rtr-kit.

I get ya.

They are ruining the ZX5's reputation?

Well, I think it looks messy, they could have made it look more tidy, theres too many wires.

No offense to ZX5 owners, but with Phillips head screws and a liberal use of plaggy, the ZX5 is already RTR-ish :eh?:

jim76
06-02-2007, 12:17 PM
admittedly the kit screws are bad, but the "plaggy?" (assume you mean plastic?) is not a problem. it's cheap for spares and not brittle like the £12 Losi graphite wishbones!

if Woody gets his drive then hopefully we will see what the car is really made of.

woOdy
06-02-2007, 12:22 PM
admittedly the kit screws are bad, but the "plaggy?" (assume you mean plastic?) is not a problem. it's cheap for spares and not brittle like the £12 Losi graphite wishbones!

if Woody gets his drive then hopefully we will see what the car is really made of.

Thanks mate!;) Fingers crossed.

Nick Goodall
06-02-2007, 12:26 PM

Nothing wrong with your English at all, i think we all know what you're saying but equally how in ANY WAY can this be a bad thing????

As said above Associated make a RTR version of the B4, T4, GT and TC4 not so long ago - these are all very capable cars.

Personally i think it's a great way to get someone into the Hobby. There can't be anything worse then walking into a model shop, seeing a nice 4wd Kyosho and thinking yeah i fancy having a go at that....... walk up to the counter to be told "yes not a problem all you need is................................................ ." - I bet a lot of "Dad's" or people in general walk away at that point looking for the cheaper option which will probably last all of 5 mins before it breaks.

This way people get to buy the car and everything they need to go and have a crack at racing off road to see if they enjoy it - or if not, they at least have a car they can run about on the road etc.

woOdy
06-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Nothing wrong with your English at all, i think we all know what you're saying but equally how in ANY WAY can this be a bad thing????

As said above Associated make a RTR version of the B4, T4, GT and TC4 not so long ago - these are all very capable cars.

Personally i think it's a great way to get someone into the Hobby. There can't be anything worse then walking into a model shop, seeing a nice 4wd Kyosho and thinking yeah i fancy having a go at that....... walk up to the counter to be told "yes not a problem all you need is................................................ ." - I bet a lot of "Dad's" or people in general walk away at that point looking for the cheaper option which will probably last all of 5 mins before it breaks.

This way people get to buy the car and everything they need to go and have a crack at racing off road to see if they enjoy it - or if not, they at least have a car they can run about on the road etc.

Too shay. I totally agree with you Nick. You just got in before me.:D Also have you noticed it comes with threaded shock bodies!

Nick Goodall
06-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Awesome, that's a good spec really!

Notice the old H Pattern Tyres?? I remember them from YEARS ago!!!

I also think the good thing is that at least Electrics are very easily upgraded so i really do think it's a great way to get Kids into racing - a lot of people don't want the hassle of having to build a kit too remember...... some people just want to buy the stuff and race it - i almost think there should be a "RTR" class at meetings, this would really open things up.

shinytopman
06-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks mate!;) Fingers crossed.

Dont worry Woody i think they're quite a few of us routing for ya with our fingers crossed!

Just wish there was more we could do to open there eye's hopefully they read these forums to give them so insite into peoples vues of there products. Saying that have'nt heard from "Kyosho" JonBoy lately.

Plus i think the entry level buggy is a great thing to encourage people into the sport. Even better if they can get a top notch chassis to boot. Who knows what the electrics are like , i would presume that they are sufficient to start with , but when they get better they can then upgrade to the standard of speedo\motor \cells that the likes of u and me would run.
That is where i think the difference is between a ready to run and a kit you'd buy to build and race.

In plane terms if you start with crap u might lose intrest ! and none of us want that we wanna see the sport grow !

DCM
06-02-2007, 02:11 PM
RTR is a good way of for companies to claw back developement costs of the more expensive cars, it may 'appear' to dull down the lineage, but it realy doesn't, all it does is make the brand stronger.

Sabben
06-02-2007, 03:30 PM
I get ya.

They are ruining the ZX5's reputation?

Well, I think it looks messy, they could have made it look more tidy, theres too many wires.

No offense to ZX5 owners, but with Phillips head screws and a liberal use of plaggy, the ZX5 is already RTR-ish :eh?:

Yes, I thougt of that.

They maybe should make an "r" or racing version of the zx-5 that's on the market now...? If they're going to produse this rtr-version...

woOdy
06-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Dont worry Woody i think they're quite a few of us routing for ya with our fingers crossed!

Just wish there was more we could do to open there eye's hopefully they read these forums to give them so insite into peoples vues of there products. Saying that have'nt heard from "Kyosho" JonBoy lately.

Plus i think the entry level buggy is a great thing to encourage people into the sport. Even better if they can get a top notch chassis to boot. Who knows what the electrics are like , i would presume that they are sufficient to start with , but when they get better they can then upgrade to the standard of speedo\motor \cells that the likes of u and me would run.
That is where i think the difference is between a ready to run and a kit you'd buy to build and race.

In plane terms if you start with crap u might lose intrest ! and none of us want that we wanna see the sport grow !

Regards nobody hearing from John, he has been busy with Nurenburge. I think also with the new cars coming too. I have no doubt he will be back soon.

Sabben
06-02-2007, 09:29 PM

But if Kyosho's plan is to encourage people into the sport, then they GOT to make it cheaper. I live in Norway, here the Lazer costs about 3500 NOK, witch is about 550 US dollars. And since the rtr-kit is very similar to the Lazer who's on the market now, the prise will be higher then 550$, here in Norway!:o I don't think a person who allmost never have driven a "real rc-car" will say that this is way too expensive...

Maybe I got this hole thing wrong, but I don't see the point...:eh?:

shinytopman
07-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Its hard to say till you know the price of the rtr car really

But there are other factors, some people might find the task of biulding a car + the electrics quite dawnting, others just might not have the time (say a working dad getting a kit for his son) so this makes it easy for them.
Or even just the backyard basher who just cant wait to get his hands on a car and doesnt want the wait !

These sort of people will prob pay a little extra, lets face it some people just want everything done for them these days to make life easy !

Im sure that kyosho have taken all these arguements into account with producing this car, and who knows if its cheaper than a zx5 kit then im sure kyosho would have changed something in the kit to make it cheaper to produce (a b4 rtr looks just the same as a b4FT in a pic till your get a good look) if not they'ed be out of business, and if its dearer then perhaps your paying for the privolige of just having to charge batteries and go !

I might be totally wrong, I dont know, but thats just the way i see it.

Sabben
07-02-2007, 03:30 PM
I got the new Kyosho Catalog today. And there, the Lazer ZX-5E, as they are calling the rtr-kit, is shown. It says that this rtr-kit is an kopy of the ZX-5, but with some "cheaper" shocks, and a not that expensive matherial that the chassie parts are made of.

But I don't know the price ( I forgot to bring a price-list:o )

Jonathan
07-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Theres a few more pics on the Kyosho France website for the fair. Some of the RB too.

http://www.kyoshofrance.com/fr/k-mag-technique-nuremberg%202007.htm

http://www.kyoshofrance.com/fr/k-mag/salon/popup/DSCN0054.JPG

http://www.kyoshofrance.com/fr/k-mag/salon/popup/DSCN0052.JPG

Sabben
07-02-2007, 09:13 PM
In the catalog it says that the RB (2wd buggy) will maybe be prodused. But they will wait for the World Cup in Japan before they make any further desicions.

Maybe this is old news...?:p

sosidge
08-02-2007, 09:55 AM
VERY old news - there is a thread in General about the car, it has been raced already in Japan, due in Europe March/April.

Sabben
08-02-2007, 06:30 PM
:o

Jeje.:p

JonBoy
08-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi guys,

I'm back and Kyosho never left this forum... and won't leave you alone either. Anyway just a quick note for those who are thinking that we are wrong going RTR. Kyosho released RTR products in the past and will continue to do so. Any of our competition kit has its RTR copy as part the EVOLVA... For exemple, V1RRR = V1S, FW05RR = FW05T, MP777SP2 = MP7.5 MK3 and soon LAZER ZX5 = ZX5 RTR and TF5 = TF5S...and more coming up.

Regarding the Lazer ZX5 RTR, i'm totally surprised that Kyosho has been able to offer to customers the same layout, the same kit with a few more plastic parts and at an attractive price.... I can bet on anyone that want to discover RC Buggy racing either at club level or national, will do well with this RTR kit. Kyosho will offer the best combo RTR 4WD of the year. Even myself won't be afraid to race one out of the box.. It will be even stronger that the competition kit and you will be able to upgrade it with any of the Lazer ZX5 parts or hopups available now and in the future.

Also regarding the Ultima RB5,... there is no delay, no bullshit story or even no prototype around anymore.... The car is fully finish, ready to go out from manifactuer and ready to be ship to dealers... Should be there for the 1st or 2nd round of the National, which is my target and best wish.

Thanks,

John

Coastal
09-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi guys,

.. It will be even stronger that the competition kit and you will be able to upgrade it with any of the Lazer ZX5 parts or hopups available now and in the future.

John

If it's stronger on the shock tower mounts is there a new part?
It is the one real weak point on the kit, even aftermarket alloy versions have proved to very suspect (3 sets already).
The other weak point is the rear drive cogs though once the spacers on the rear diff have been sorted it now appears to be better (needed another 2 extra spacers).

jim76
09-02-2007, 09:36 PM
It is the one real weak point on the kit, even aftermarket alloy versions have proved to very suspect (3 sets already).

how the hell have you broken 3 alloy mounts? do you drive full speed into walls?!? :o

Coastal
10-02-2007, 09:34 AM
how the hell have you broken 3 alloy mounts? do you drive full speed into walls?!? :o

The alloy mounts are the seperate mounts without the cental strut across the gear case. If the alloy is not top grade, which looking at it it isn't, the mounts shear where the upright meets the base as there is not a lot of meat there.

I have had 3 front mounts go (1 set & 1 side) and 2 rear go (1 set) all have gone in exactly the same place. the last to go were the rear set, coming off a low table top the car hit a rut flipped and turned in the air came down on the back - hey presto self levelling rear suspension:(.

In fact I have found the upgraded std parts (without the triangular looking top brace) seem to be better than the alloy versions.

the track I have on is at www.cmcrc.co. uk (http://www.cmcrc.co. uku) some pics in the gallery.
More to be uploaded soon.

jim76
10-02-2007, 02:02 PM
jeez, you must have been really unlucky. i've been running mine with the front and rear alloy mounts for quite a while now. i've hit a wall on a tight indoor track flat out and broke the rear shock mount, but not the alloy brace.
i also hit the fence on the sweeper at the F3's in tiverton full on the front end, but again no breakage.

you must have caught them at the wrong angle. i haven't tried the plastic versions, so can't really comment, but friends think the new beefed up ones are better than the originals.