PDA

View Full Version : Pitch size on zx-5 spur and general info!! : ) B4 mod !

Colinevan
05-02-2007, 09:07 PM
My zx-5 is very noisy, after having been advised by other zx-5 users, the best option offered is to fit the b4 spur. My car doesnt jump or indeed strip gears its just too noisy.

I was also told thet the kyosho spur is not quite 48dp but something like 48.08dp hence the mesh and noise probs that people seem to be experiencing. Is this true? This would explain noisy zx-5's if run with std pinions.

to remedy, i deffo want to go down the b4 method, however im unsure on the following.

1) - Will a std B4 spur - with 78 teeth fit straight onto a zx-5, Iv heard rumours that the dremel needs to come out :(

2) - Iv read that i need to also buy new pink slipper pads from the B4 to use with the zx-5 slipper plates. Do i need anything else?

3) - I actually have loads of 81 tooth spurs spare, however would this alter my gearing by much if i used this size instead of the std 78 teeth jobbie ( gearing mystifies me lol ). lastly does anyone know if this will actually fit or is it too big for the car.

Thanks for your help,

Col.:wtf:

Coastal
05-02-2007, 10:05 PM
My zx-5 is very noisy, after having been advised by other zx-5 users, the best option offered is to fit the b4 spur. My car doesnt jump or indeed strip gears its just too noisy.

I was also told thet the kyosho spur is not quite 48dp but something like 48.08dp hence the mesh and noise probs that people seem to be experiencing. Is this true? This would explain noisy zx-5's if run with std pinions.

to remedy, i deffo want to go down the b4 method, however im unsure on the following.

1) - Will a std B4 spur - with 78 teeth fit straight onto a zx-5, Iv heard rumours that the dremel needs to come out :(

2) - Iv read that i need to also buy new pink slipper pads from the B4 to use with the zx-5 slipper plates. Do i need anything else?

3) - I actually have loads of 81 tooth spurs spare, however would this alter my gearing by much if i used this size instead of the std 78 teeth jobbie ( gearing mystifies me lol ). lastly does anyone know if this will actually fit or is it too big for the car.

Thanks for your help,

Col.:wtf:

The noise can just be the mesh of the gear, it needs to tighter than normally run on say a TC, but if it is too tight it will make a noise. Too loose and the gear wiil strip

metalhead10
05-02-2007, 10:15 PM
i run the standard spur/pinions and must say that it seems quiet to me with regards to yours it could also be a worn pinion ( rounded teeth ) so maybe a new pinion would solve it.

jim76
05-02-2007, 11:41 PM
agree with metal head. i recently replaced the spur on mine as the old one was slightly chewed. the car is now silent again. also try a new pinion as these do wear quite a bit over time.

i also noticed the plastic clamp on top of the spur gear was rubbing slightly on the bearing/holder by the spur. i removed a fraction of plastic from this and it freed up things quite a bit.

omen1975
06-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi guys,

I use a B4 kimbrough spur (81T) and b4 slipper pads in my KMRC converted ZX-5, process was straight foward with no modifcations.

Associated Part numbers (9651) and (9603)

Hope this helps.
omen1975

FLASHOVER
09-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Hi guys,

I use a B4 kimbrough spur (81T) and b4 slipper pads in my KMRC converted ZX-5, process was straight foward with no modifcations.

Hope this helps.
omen1975
Can you post a pic of this KMRC converted ZX-5 :confused:

Glenn Atterton
10-02-2007, 01:10 PM
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/reviewkmzx5/

is that what you are looking for?

FLASHOVER
13-02-2007, 04:12 AM
Yes thank you .;)

tty_wai
16-02-2007, 03:10 AM
Hi guys,

Hope this helps.
omen1975

just wonder does the 9651 Spur gear center hole fit the Kyosho?? I believe the Spur is in inch while the kyosho is using metric

WheelNut
16-02-2007, 07:27 AM
The hole in the B4 spur is 3/16" which is something like 5.5mm, and the Kyosho spur is 5mm. I didn't measure those, but I'm quite certain those are the numbers, judging by the bearing sizes.

omen1975
23-02-2007, 04:19 PM
just wonder does the 9651 Spur gear center hole fit the Kyosho?? I believe the Spur is in inch while the kyosho is using metric

Fraction larger hole but nothing to worry about, I thought about drilling spur gear hole bigger and fitting a bearing or a sleeve for a perfect fit but I havnt had no problems so I didnt worry about it. I have seen a Losi BK2 kevlar? spur and pads used aswell.

Hope this helps

Omen1975

stik
03-03-2007, 09:47 PM
hi guys, im looking into getting b4 spurs for my zx5, will they fit the standard zx5 ok, not sure if the kmrc transmission is different from the standard

bert digler
03-03-2007, 10:40 PM
hi guys, im looking into getting b4 spurs for my zx5, will they fit the standard zx5 ok, not sure if the kmrc transmission is different from the standard

to use b4 spurs u need to use b4 slipper pads ive run all last season on the same spur:) and also shim the tranny tight and run in on bench it will free up same gear set all season
:)

stik
03-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Great, thanks for that :D