PDA

View Full Version : What causes 2 identical B44's to be so different?

Team No Idea
24-04-2009, 08:30 AM
I think im going a bit mad:confused:..... it could all be in my head.
Ive been racing my B44 indoors at FORCC for about 8-9 months and gradually getting the setup as i like it.
over the last few months it really has felt spot on and im mega happy with it. However the outdoor season has kicked off and i have been very reluctant to disturb the settings each week to go and do the regionals.
So now i have purchased another B44 to use indoors only. It was second hand, a few weeks old and i have completely stripped and re-built every nut and bolt so it is identical to my other car.

However it handles sooooooooo differently to my 1st car, the rear end has a mind of its own and its nowhere near as confidence inspiring.
Could this simply be the various tiny manufacturing tolerences that make a difference? should they be the same? is it normal for 2 cars to be different although setup the same? soooo many questions! lol:lol: looks like iv'e got to find a completely different setup to make this work....

Any ideas?

Mike Hudson
24-04-2009, 08:35 AM
you sure it's exactly the same? shockpistons, oil brands, limiting, tyre wear? Even a few extra washers or shocks not built quite the same could change the way it feels.

RcRob
24-04-2009, 08:40 AM
...i have completely stripped and re-built every nut and bolt so it is identical to my other car...

you sure it's exactly the same? shockpistons, oil brands, limiting? Even a few extra washers could change it's driving style

Identical - exactly alike; incapable of being perceived as different.

For further information please see:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+identical&meta

Team No Idea
24-04-2009, 08:43 AM
you sure it's exactly the same? shockpistons, oil brands, limiting? Even a few extra washers could change it's driving style

lol. yep. its exactly the same, It sounds wierd doesn't it.
The other car is fantastic since you gave me a hand with setup info, but this new one just doesn't work.
Ive even tried swapping the shocks, diffs etc from one to the other.
ive got a spare brand new chassis that im going to try next week.

Mike Hudson
24-04-2009, 08:45 AM
sounds strange to me, glad the setup tips helped :) you running the same electrics too?

jono83
24-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Identical - exactly alike; incapable of being perceived as different.

For further information please see:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+identical&meta

lmfao i feel a fight brewing :lol::lol:

Team No Idea
24-04-2009, 08:52 AM
sounds strange to me, glad the setup tips helped :) you running the same electrics too?

Ooo almost, the servo, motor and lipos are from my old car, however ive switched from a GTB to a LRP Sphere TC spec. Although they are mounted in the car in the same way.

Lee
24-04-2009, 08:53 AM
This is an interesting conundrum....

You say that they are identical but handle differently, my conclusion is that they are not identical otherwise they would handle the same. :thumbsup:

Mike Hudson
24-04-2009, 08:58 AM
That could be where the problem lies then, if your running different speed servos or different weight lipos in the back or the speedo's are different, all those little bits could make a big difference int he way the car handles

Medders
24-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Is it possible to get two cars truely identical:confused:

What about diff and slipper tension etc. They can be made almost the same but not exactly. Same with weight distribution - are the electrics the same and in exactly the same place?

Is the rear wind the same size / shape?

Team No Idea
24-04-2009, 09:13 AM
This is an interesting conundrum....

You say that they are identical but handle differently, my conclusion is that they are not identical otherwise they would handle the same. :thumbsup:

Absolutley, obviously my wording is a bit dodgy!, Sorry, the word Identical was the wrong one. I should have said they are as near to each other as i can physically get them.
It may simply be that one is more "worn" than the other?

Team No Idea
24-04-2009, 09:15 AM
That could be where the problem lies then, if your running different speed servos or different weight lipos in the back or the speedo's are different, all those little bits could make a big difference int he way the car handles

ahh, ok. I'll give that a go, ill go back to the GTB and see how it goes.:thumbsup: i'll try anything! lol

Team No Idea
24-04-2009, 09:15 AM
ahh, ok. I'll give that a go, ill go back to the GTB and see how it goes.:thumbsup: i'll try anything! lol
Thanks again!

MikePimlott
24-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Is it possible to get two cars truely identical:confused:

What about diff and slipper tension etc. They can be made almost the same but not exactly. Same with weight distribution - are the electrics the same and in exactly the same place?

This is good info.

I found that diff tightness front and rear changes alot of the way this car handles.

Lee
24-04-2009, 09:24 AM
The speedo will make no difference unless it is set up wrong.

It is probably more down to diffs, shock rebound etc.

I also know top drivers who would pick an old car over a new car every time ;)

Southwell
24-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Chassis tweak possibly, it can make a big difference.

markwilliamson2001
24-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Agreed, with carbon fibre chassis, very easy to get a tweak. Try loosening the chassis screws, and pushing down on a flat surface, then retighten, nip-tight, all the screws.

HTH
Mark

B44&501xRacerEX
26-04-2009, 07:35 PM
I think im going a bit mad:confused:.....
However it handles sooooooooo differently to my 1st car, the rear end has a mind of its own and its nowhere near as confidence inspiring.
Could this simply be the various tiny manufacturing tolerences that make a difference? should they be the same? is it normal for 2 cars to be different although setup the same? soooo many questions! lol:lol: looks like iv'e got to find a completely different setup to make this work....

Any ideas?

No your not going mad. A guy at my local track has 2 B44's also, and has
one setup for one dusty outdoor track and the other is setup for indoors.
He currently runs dirt oval with me and have not seen him run the outdoor car yet.
He prefers his indoor car over the other one, says the outdoor car is too sensitive.
No R/C car is the same even if they come from the same factory.
That's why im scared to sell my B44, because if I buy another one it wont
drive the same.

Gayo
26-04-2009, 09:08 PM
:woot:

B44&501xRacerEX
26-04-2009, 10:14 PM
:woot:

It's all good :thumbsup:
lol

Mike Hudson
26-04-2009, 10:19 PM
It's all good :thumbsup:
lol
I love you! :woot: where you been? had a nice holiday? :woot:

Lee
26-04-2009, 10:21 PM
B-Mag you are a legend!!
Are you on Face book?:woot:

greasy mark
27-04-2009, 08:06 PM
martin my car changed wen i changed to the lrp speado but was beter once nigss n me worked out the best setings for the speado to suit me

Team No Idea
07-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Just thought id update the thread.
Since posting and all of your suggestions, i have checked for chassis tweak, swapped the diffs back thier rightfull cars and basically started a fresh setup.
After a few weeks of playing with diff setup and rear shock fluid i am finally getting there. The car is now feeling similar to my older one:thumbsup:.
The diffs are set alot tighter than i had before and the rear shock oil weight has been lightened a tad. I have also added 45g of lead between the Lipo's.
The result has been noticable and the car is now going better.
The LRP is delivering more power than i had from the Novak and i have chosen to stick with it and buy another one for the outdoor car aswell.

Feeling much happier now, its been another step along the learning curve with my tiny amount of RC experience. Thanks for all the help!:woot:

Chrislong
07-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I have two cars which are setup very differently, but they feel the same, unintentionally. Im confused. :lol: B-mag, what you think dude?