PDA

View Full Version : Servo help required

Huckster522
04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi all you knowledgable rc fans, im after a bit of help.

I'm currently running a xxx4 with my 25+ years old Futaba attack R 27mhz radio gear, which after all this time feels comfortable so i do not really want to change it.

The problem i'm having is my steering servo takes about a week (lol) to go from lock to lock and was wondering

1) what would be the best and cheapest (budget is extremely small) servo i could use as replacement?

2) Would a digital servo work with my old receiver?

3) What is meant by 4 channel receiver - ppm mode? (i have seen a new 27mhz micro receiver for sale and wondered if this would help with space in my car), and would this work with my attack R transmitter?

Many thanks for any info you can pass on.

The Huckster

stox217
04-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Right if you want it cheep change the reciever to the latest futaba cheep 2channel version and i think a futaba s3001 may be worth buying?

super__dan
04-05-2009, 01:59 PM
To VERY cheaply improve performance remove the red wire from the servo receiver wire and connect directly to battery positive to give a 7.2V feed. Will be much quicker and more torque though there is a risk of reduced reliability

Stu
04-05-2009, 02:14 PM
I've done that loads of times in years gone by, with no problems at all.

I always used a choke in the red lead, not sure if that was needed however.

Huckster522
04-05-2009, 04:21 PM
To VERY cheaply improve performance remove the red wire from the servo receiver wire and connect directly to battery positive to give a 7.2V feed. Will be much quicker and more torque though there is a risk of reduced reliability

Thanks for the tip,but that would be like adding a turbo to a 1968 650cc robin reliant with a broken timing chain, pointless....

My servo is the best part of 30 years worn out and i'm looking to replace with a newer model, and was asking for advice on the best and cheapest option for my old radio gear(ie compatability)

The Huckster

streetfreak
04-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Hitec 475 Deluxe Servo ball bearing and has Karbbonite Gears,Great Servo,76 oz.torque at 7.2V.16.99 at Towerhobbies,or the 645 which is metal gears for 31.99.I had Digital servo before and they are not worth the money unless you race or compete.Just my 2 sense