PDA

View Full Version : What motor to run?

Iain07
12-02-2007, 04:46 PM
hi, im new to the forum (so sorry if i say something stupid)
i've been having trouble with the motor that i run in my B4, i have tried skimming and re'brushing it but the top end speed is still far to low for my local track. i have also increased the gearing, with no real look.
i was wondering what motors you run and would recomend (for running at bury metro)
thanks for any replies
ps. am runnig the reedy kr 12T double.

jim76
12-02-2007, 04:58 PM
a 12t in 2wd shouldn't be a mile off the pace. if you have skimmed it and re-brushed it the only things left would be clean the bearings thoroughly and check the timing.
Could also be the high point settings on the speedo/transmitter?

if these don't resolve it you might have a more serious problem, ie the motor is knackered in some way.

bigred5765
12-02-2007, 05:04 PM
12 turn motor should be fine as long as its been skimmed and brushed properly. and batts are in good nic, as this can affect speed also

jimmy
12-02-2007, 05:11 PM
hey up carl, do you still need to use my 3* btw? I could do with getting it back for the supercup - I will probably be ok without it if you need to use it still.

losichris
12-02-2007, 05:14 PM
i have ran a 12x1 a few times and its nowhere near quick enough either. the only way to get away with a 12 turn is to have stupidly powerful cells and speedo. therefore ive gone brushless :)

jimmy
12-02-2007, 05:18 PM
I have to say though if you gear right a 12 turn is QUICK. I ran it to 15th place at the recent York regional - and I skim about twice a year - my motors get no love at all.
:D

Glenn Atterton
12-02-2007, 05:23 PM
hi, im new to the forum (so sorry if i say something stupid)
i've been having trouble with the motor that i run in my B4, i have tried skimming and re'brushing it but the top end speed is still far to low for my local track. i have also increased the gearing, with no real look.
i was wondering what motors you run and would recomend (for running at bury metro)
thanks for any replies
ps. am runnig the reedy kr 12T double.

So apart from the KR12T motor what batteries are you using, esc & what pinion spur do you have it on?

bigred5765
12-02-2007, 05:39 PM
hey up carl, do you still need to use my 3* btw? I could do with getting it back for the supercup - I will probably be ok without it if you need to use it still.

well im waiting on peter frpm castle models to get the right motor back of nosram but hope fully you should be ok jimmy thanks as well for the lone ill make sure u get a little treat when im up and running full steam with ma shop

Iain07
12-02-2007, 05:55 PM
im running 2600 orion cells, they'r fine in my mission. running the VX sport mrt esc. gearing, 81 spur gear and 23 pinion.
i was trying to aviod brushless as i dont trust myself:confused: and the price. i thing the motor itself might have been damaged in a crash :( .
otherwise im out of ideas

Col
12-02-2007, 05:59 PM
im running 2600 orion cells

There is the most probable reason for the lack of speed. I have a set of orion 3300 that were superb in their day and are nowhere near fast enough to keep up in 4WD these days so I keep them for practice.

I'd save for some new cells and motors ( a decent 12 is fine for bury in my opinion)

Iain07
12-02-2007, 06:06 PM
ahhh, thanx, so what cells do you run now? if the 3300's arn't powerful enuf?
i just thourght that if they were ok in the mission they would be fine. thanks away

ashleyb4
12-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Gp3300 orgp3700 are fine if 2wd if you are doing 2wd and 4wd you may want to get something with a bit more umfth such as IB4200 or GP4300

A

bigred5765
12-02-2007, 06:26 PM
same as everyone else has said its dowwn to ur cells
im running 4300 gps and a 12 turn reedy and its lighning fast

Iain07
12-02-2007, 06:28 PM
new cells it is then, just spending more money:( but its worth it :)

Glenn Atterton
12-02-2007, 06:39 PM
new cells it is then, just spending more money:( but its worth it :)

Try before you buy.

Ask someone @ your local track if you can try a set of cells 1st. Most will help you. If they won't ask someone to run our motor.

Do you run stick pack or side by side batteries?
Do you charge, race, discharge, equalise them?

What is the peak voltage your 2600's get to when charged ?

What settings have you got in your ESC? (not sure how to do it ask someone to help)

andys
12-02-2007, 07:21 PM
I'd try loaning a motor first, either a Checkpoint or an Orion. The Reedy KR's are very inforgiving and require lots of maintenance to keep then running well in my experience. I gave up on them some time ago as they just ate brushes, they were rapid, but only for 1, possibly 2 runs then they needed new brushes.

I reckon it's the KR that's letting the side down. Are you sure your speedo is hitting full power too ? Does the transmission run smooth without the motor in too, i.e no binding ?

Andy.

Iain07
12-02-2007, 07:46 PM
the esc is set up correctly, has already been checked. i charge, race, discharge yes, could do with a better charger but 1 step at a time. it runs smooth. I'm with you, the kr does eat brushes far two much, but even so it isn't on the pace with a new set of brushes. i try another motor, but the cells are looking to be the problem thanks guys

losichris
12-02-2007, 09:07 PM
I picked up some really cheap GP3700's off ebay for £12 recently...i race at bury most weeks and its difficult to keep up with most of them as they are all top drivers with new and well maintained equipment.. alot of people will say its down to track knowledge and driving skills.
rubbish, if you havent got the lastest equipment then theres no chance in being competative.

ashleyb4
12-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Thats a load of crap once i blew up my dominator evolution and i was racing t kiddy i used a covak exsplorer 2 with a 19t motor and some sanyo 3600 as i left my cells at home and i had a really good days racing and was just as competative as normal. And there area lot of drivers at our club who run basic equipment and there cars are just as quick.

A

I picked up some really cheap GP3700's off ebay for £12 recently...i race at bury most weeks and its difficult to keep up with most of them as they are all top drivers with new and well maintained equipment.. alot of people will say its down to track knowledge and driving skills.
rubbish, if you havent got the lastest equipment then theres no chance in being competative.

tc2k
12-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Id disagree there. The A Finalists run the top gear because they can, they want that extra bit of performace. But having the top gear wont make you a top driver, neither will average equipment hold you back.#

Iain07
13-02-2007, 11:48 AM
thats not true, i know people with old equipment who run in the top heats. but a bit of both, track knowledge and speed helps. hopfully now i'll have some speed as well :)
thanks guys, really helped

Nick Goodall
13-02-2007, 12:05 PM

I hadn't raced for over 4 years, and raced at the first CML Raceway winter series with the following:

RC10 B3
Reedy KR 12x1
LRP 7.1 Speedo (old style)
KO Digital Servo
Old 3300's of Lee's

I still made the A-7 with the likes of Craggy, LeeM, Doughty, Rich Barton, Woody, Kevin Lee, Tony Truman etc etc.

I had only driven the track twice before this so it's not all about speed and having the latest gear, certainly not at club/regional level. If i was back doing nationals i would want all newer kit but for having a bit of fun and generally getting going again it's all still good enough!

Oscar
13-02-2007, 07:53 PM
the esc is set up correctly, has already been checked. i charge, race, discharge yes, could do with a better charger but 1 step at a time. it runs smooth. I'm with you, the kr does eat brushes far two much, but even so it isn't on the pace with a new set of brushes. i try another motor, but the cells are looking to be the problem thanks guys

Ok, The KR series are usually ballistically quick, if a little high maintainance;)

What timing are you using, which brushes and also how much do you file off the trailing edge of the brush? (once a KR has had a few skims, you need to do this otherwise you get too much overlap and it just burns the comm and brushes, generating heat and slowing the motor down).
I would usually run a KR 12turn on a 21 pinion around Bury, they don't like such a low ratio as some other motors.