PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Carbon Top deck and shock towers

jimmy
31-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Added a review of the Atomic Carbon hop ups for the ZX-5

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/zx5/atomiczx5.html

nick oliver
01-11-2005, 10:23 PM
The carbon bits look very good jimmy:D tho they do look little weak, have you tryed ur zx5 with the carbon bits on yet?? and have you noctied any diffirence with them?? i guess there wont be that much diffrent since shock holes are all same place i supppose nick.

jimmy
01-11-2005, 11:05 PM
The main thing the carbon parts bring, is weight reduction and looks, the top deck brings a little extra stiffness i think also.

I dont think the towers will be a weak point , these or the originals, i think where they bolt onto the car is the weak point, i think those bulkheads will go before a tower.

OldTimer
02-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Hi Nick, the shock towers are pretty tough, you would have trouble trying to twist them in your hands, if you needed them thicker than 3mm carbon fibre, i can make some from 4mm but i think that is a little over kill, and as jimmy says i think the bulkhead is the weak point.

Cheers
Jonathan

niggs98
05-11-2005, 07:52 AM
yeah the shock mounts will be fine, like jimmy says the suround for the gbox top n shock mount erm mount is the weak point but touch wood i haven't broken one yet :shock: im just hopeing they make either a carbon one or preferably an ally one soon in the hopups

OldTimer
07-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Just to let you all know that the Lazer ZX5 front & rear shock towers, and the top deck in carbon fibre are now in stock :bounce:

Jonathan
atomic-carbon.co.uk

SimonW
14-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Got my "tivvy" spec front and rear towers and am very pleased with them i now have a little less droop and alot more up-travel at the back, almost identical to a XX4 at the rear end in that respect can't wait to race it at tivvy now. Moved the shocks to the top row front and rear and changed nothing limiter wise from kit.

jimmy
14-12-2005, 07:17 PM
nice one, i always thought the back end was too high, front seemed better mind you.. are they both an identical raising of the shocks then ?
are you running longer ball joints to get the droop on the front ? i have mi standard joints wound out a few turns to get a bit more droop.

if the weathers nice im gonna give it a blast round bury metro this weekend

SimonW
14-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Top holes on the rear tower raise the shock body from standard allowing more up-travel this also takes away droop but that just brings it to where it should be(if you know wot i mean) i thought there was too much droop before. the top holes on the front tower are the same as the kit holes, the lower set are for use with the out-side hole on the front i think. Yes i have changed the front shock ball joint for some yokomo short ones gives the same up-travel but about 5-6 mm more droop at front, i now have equal droop front to rear aswell at last, the shock ball fits perfectly in the yoko ball jointy thingy-ma-jig too.

SimonW
14-12-2005, 07:30 PM
wound fronts down too to get even more droop :wink:

jimmy
14-12-2005, 07:35 PM
ahhh, i tried yokomo ends on the shocks but for some reason i couldnt get them to fit, maybe it was the spring cup ??? does that sit over the yokomo ends ? its a while ago so i dont remember precisely
maybe i was trying some different yokomo ends to you..

yea, i did notice with the shocks on the outside hole on the arm its very low.. looks like a dragster

SimonW
14-12-2005, 08:15 PM
i used yoko spring cups they are the same size spring wise but fit yoko shock ends kyosho spring cups won't fit HTH :D

SimonW
14-12-2005, 08:17 PM
you have to remove a little of the cup from the bottom to clear the susp' arms though