PDA

View Full Version : Tamiya Rough Rider re-release?

jimmy
18-05-2009, 01:47 AM
So, how did I miss the announcement that my favorite car in the whole world is being re-released? The Tamiya Rough Rider!

How cool is that? Can't wait for it and I'll definitely be racing it (with a slow motor!) - who's up for some controlled class rough rider racing? :thumbsup:

Matisse
18-05-2009, 06:29 AM
dude, so far out of the loop, must have been a busy week eh!

check out the enormous threads about it on TC, some sweet pics.

DCM
18-05-2009, 06:39 AM
So, how did I miss the announcement that my favorite car in the whole world is being re-released? The Tamiya Rough Rider!

How cool is that? Can't wait for it and I'll definitely be racing it (with a slow motor!) - who's up for some controlled class rough rider racing? :thumbsup:

ah, that will be the amazing Hobby Co. marketing team working well then.

DCM
18-05-2009, 06:41 AM
dude, so far out of the loop, must have been a busy week eh!

check out the enormous threads about it on TC, some sweet pics.

you got a link?

Mabuchi_Johnson_Lee
18-05-2009, 07:23 AM
http://tamiyablog.com/

Radish
18-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Uh Oh, I think I wet myself! Any idea when this is going to be available, cost etc. I've been hoping they'd do a re-make of this for ages. I hope they haven't changed too much about it. The shocks and front uprights are a good upgrade as the originals were pretty hopeless! :thumbsup:

Matisse
18-05-2009, 10:43 AM
you got a link?

two LONG threads here, mostly eveyone saying how great it is that its being release but some good pics, links to vids and info on the new Tamyia Li-Fe batts amongst it all.

It's not limited ed, which is nice, still has the sealed radio box and they've tweaked the specs to improve the ride.

threads are;
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50313&hl=
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50430&hl=

also lots of pics of the tamiya stand at the show on Tamiyablog.com

mat

blitzboy
18-05-2009, 10:52 AM
i just had a flashback to when i was 13 years old and have lost the plot completely buggy champ for me and ill be up for some racing too with this bad boy

Southwell
18-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Thats awesome, whos gonna be the first to put brushless in it and disintegrate the gearbox in 5 seconds flat? :woot:

GRIFF55
18-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I got an original box for one of these, what you think its worth?

Matisse
18-05-2009, 11:36 AM
worth is what anyone wants to pay for it, especially as they can now get a new one.

but if its original, and in GC then i'm sure you'll get a buyer pretty quickly, stick it on tamiyaclub and see what happens.

BagofSkill
18-05-2009, 11:53 AM
I know someone sold an original box in fairly good nick for 155 quid on the bay recently! Big cash for a cardboard box!

jimmy
18-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Crazy! :lol: I sold my rough rider for 400 quid a couple of years ago, it was a nicely restored one and I was really sad to see it go, I've got a huge ammount of old SRB stuff which is now worth a heck of a lot less - but I'm more than happy they're brought this oldie out.

I think we need to have a Rough Rider 'sexiest build' competition - and definitely some racing. :thumbsup:

kyosho_kid
19-05-2009, 01:44 AM
Yes the box that sold for 155 was my mate rich, he did very well there, personally to whoever bought it i would rather have saved the cash for a re-re rider NIB and had cash left to buy some extras!, but each to their own.
Not sure how you missed the thread mate as it was opened a week ago, notice the massive panic selling on ebay in last 10 days lol!.

jimmy
19-05-2009, 02:08 AM
Though I've been a 'collector' for about 10 years, I've not really spent a lot of time with the vintage stuff over the last few as racing took over. I was thinking the vintage SRB's were too much at 500 quid or so, but then they went crazy it seems. I'd much prefer one of these rere's any day, I like the car(s) not the value or the rarity.
When Tamiya kicked off the re-releases with the Tyrell and 311 I wasn't too impressed - but it seems things have just been getting better and better, with the hot shot & frog etc, and now the ultimate!

I'm looking forward to seeing what Tamiya themselves and possibly other 3rd parties bring out for the rough rider in terms of 'hop ups' or bling parts. :thumbsup:

FERRETTI
19-05-2009, 05:57 AM
Yes the box that sold for 155 was my mate rich, he did very well there.

That was a Sand Scorcher box not a Rouge Rider, there's a BIG differance in vakue between the two;)

Spoolio
19-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Uh Oh, I think I wet myself! Any idea when this is going to be available, cost etc. I've been hoping they'd do a re-make of this for ages. I hope they haven't changed too much about it. The shocks and front uprights are a good upgrade as the originals were pretty hopeless! :thumbsup:

OMG, I am almost in tears (of joy) here. This is deeply embarrassing to admit. I too (like 100's of other Tamiya anoraks) have been wondering how long it'd take. Surely if they are doing this a Scorcher can't be out of the question, then a Ranger, then maybe a Hilux. OK, getting carried away here but I have to have one, sod the credit crunch.

On t'other hand this will surely p**s off the people who make silly money out of these things, and those who actually paid it.

I'm definately up for some controlled class racing. Stock set up and a black can Sport Tuned as a suggestion.

jimmy
19-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Just been reading some of the stuff on tamiyaclub and it's quite a funny read, lots of argument over a toy car! :thumbsup:
With the seperate drive adaptors, unlike the original, I wonder if that mean's you'll be able to add a hex and put other types of wheel on for racing? not sure I'd reallly like to get in a 1st corner fight at a National with one tho, it'd disintigrate!

Rich D
19-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Im gonna get two of these babies, one for the loft and one for a runner - Worksop `09 Rough Rider 13.5 brushless class anyone ? :thumbsup:

bish
19-05-2009, 09:06 PM
YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! i've been waiting for this one!:D

Spoolio
19-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Im gonna get two of these babies, one for the loft and one for a runner - Worksop `09 Rough Rider 13.5 brushless class anyone ? :thumbsup:

I think even a 13.5 BL would be too much for one of these bad boys, they are more top heavy than a fat bird in a pie shop. Remember they were designed in the day when scale meant more than centre of gravity (funny how we're coming back round to that innit).

Jimmy, you're spot on, the TC forums are hilarious, there are some seriously unhappy people there who've probably mortgaged their house and spent the "college fund" buying SRB's in the expectation they would act like a pension fund. Oh deary me. Some excellent counter-arguments too. I can only imagine that now Tamiya have proved that metal is not "off-limits" there are some serious jittery peeps out there looking at their original Hiluxs and chewing their finger nails wonder if they are next.

terry.sc
19-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Jimmy, you're spot on, the TC forums are hilarious, there are some seriously unhappy people there who've probably mortgaged their house and spent the "college fund" buying SRB's in the expectation they would act like a pension fund. Oh deary me. Some excellent counter-arguments too. If you actually read through it properly there's no one complaining about the value of their collections falling because of this rerelease, only all those idiots saying that "collectors must be crying". They must know a whole different bunch of collectors than all the big ones I know. Not one collector I know is in it for the money, they are all intelligent enough to kn ow that r/c kits aren't going to make you anything, never mind a fortune. Most of them pay a lot of NIBs, quite often with the intention to build it at some time, never with the intention to sell it. We all know the way to make money is the chop shops, buying cars and splitting it to sell the parts individually, and I'm glad it will put all those out of business. As for the price of the old cars and parts, not a lot will change there as virtually all the rerelease parts are different to the originals.

There's only one person unhappy, and that's because it kills the hunt for parts to restore them. I lost interest in SRBs myself when it became obvious that if you picked up a wreck you could restore it in a week or two of ebay searching, while my first one took 9 months to find all the parts I needed to get it running again. Taking the Sand Scorcher out for a bash used to always be done with a little care, if you broke it you used to wonder how long until you could get it fixed, recently you could get the parts faster than for a modern buggy which takes the edge off running it carefully. It's why my Predator XT is worth more to me, because of the time invested in it, it took me 3 years to get that together.

The other person doing most of the moaning has no interest in vintage stuff, Dready is a scale fan and just wants new hard bodies and scale chassis.

You should see the rubbish I've had to deal with in private amongst the members.

The rerelease doesn't interest me at all, probably because it's a lot more expensive than the original SRBs I already have, when you consider the Sand Scorcher that I wrecked at the beach last weekend cost me all of 40 including the repro body. I always find stumbling across one going cheap at a car boot sale more interesting than just ordering it from a shop. Best bargain was a battered Rough Rider, Sand Scorcher, and a Ranger body, all for 30!

terry.sc
19-05-2009, 11:28 PM
With the seperate drive adaptors, unlike the original, I wonder if that mean's you'll be able to add a hex and put other types of wheel on for racing?
It has been reported that the adaptors fit over a hex drive, although it's not been confirmed by anyone else. If not Tamiya already make hex drive adapters for the Frog to fit modern buggy wheels on the longer old axles.

ian h
20-05-2009, 02:27 AM
Available for pre-order now @ www.modelsport.co.uk (http://www.modelsport.co.uk)
Just placed my order!!!!!!!!!:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Spoolio
20-05-2009, 06:32 AM
If you actually read through it properly there's no one complaining about the value of their collections falling because of this rerelease, only all those idiots saying that "collectors must be crying". They must know a whole different bunch of collectors than all the big ones I know. Not one collector I know is in it for the money, they are all intelligent enough to kn ow that r/c kits aren't going to make you anything, never mind a fortune. Most of them pay a lot of NIBs, quite often with the intention to build it at some time, never with the intention to sell it. We all know the way to make money is the chop shops, buying cars and splitting it to sell the parts individually, and I'm glad it will put all those out of business. As for the price of the old cars and parts, not a lot will change there as virtually all the rerelease parts are different to the originals.

There's only one person unhappy, and that's because it kills the hunt for parts to restore them. I lost interest in SRBs myself when it became obvious that if you picked up a wreck you could restore it in a week or two of ebay searching, while my first one took 9 months to find all the parts I needed to get it running again. Taking the Sand Scorcher out for a bash used to always be done with a little care, if you broke it you used to wonder how long until you could get it fixed, recently you could get the parts faster than for a modern buggy which takes the edge off running it carefully. It's why my Predator XT is worth more to me, because of the time invested in it, it took me 3 years to get that together.

The other person doing most of the moaning has no interest in vintage stuff, Dready is a scale fan and just wants new hard bodies and scale chassis.

You should see the rubbish I've had to deal with in private amongst the members.

The rerelease doesn't interest me at all, probably because it's a lot more expensive than the original SRBs I already have, when you consider the Sand Scorcher that I wrecked at the beach last weekend cost me all of 40 including the repro body. I always find stumbling across one going cheap at a car boot sale more interesting than just ordering it from a shop. Best bargain was a battered Rough Rider, Sand Scorcher, and a Ranger body, all for 30!

I did read it terry, all 16 pages! I was kind of generalising so apologies, the one that stuck in my mind was the post by acorn who seems really upset and his argument - as I saw it so apologies if I read it wrong - was that he'd spent shedloads of money on stuff that was now in his eyes worthless. I disagree with that and agree with all the posters who tried to bolster him by saying that his stuff is stilll original so is effectively the more "pure" version etc etc. Anyways, thats a TC forum thing and I wouldn't want to drag it onto this site :yawn:. I'm just made up that I will finally get a chance to buy one without any worn out bits, build it and run it without that nagging worry that I'd have to search the 'bay for the inevitable part I'd need to fix it when (not if) it breaks.

jimmy
20-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Yeah that's the same post I read - I just felt that some people are in the hobby for the wrong reasons.

These SRB's are awesome models and it's nothing short of fantastic that Tamiya has re-released one. From what I remember back 10 years ago when I was a lot more into collecting - people were day dreaming of finding a stash of SRB's in a hobby shop somewhere. This is even better!

Mash Potato
20-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Available for pre-order now @ www.modelsport.co.uk (http://www.modelsport.co.uk)
Just placed my order!!!!!!!!!:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Oh cool, any idea on price, as it's TBA on their site?

Phil Channon
20-05-2009, 11:53 AM
The real question is when and where can you get a
hump pack lipo from?:lol:

Lipo and a 380 (540 is your brave) ...... I wonder how that would go????

jimmy
20-05-2009, 12:48 PM
The a123 pack or whatever it's called that Tamiya supply for the car would be a good option but it sounds a bit expensive :thumbdown: Can you charge that type of cell on a 'normal' lipo charger? any ideas?

I think you can get some humps made up no problem but I'd much prefer lipo (or these new cells)

Can't wait for this car, I'm so excited about it! :)

ian h
20-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Oh cool, any idea on price, as it's TBA on their site?

It's TBA

ian h
20-05-2009, 01:02 PM
The a123 pack or whatever it's called that Tamiya supply for the car would be a good option but it sounds a bit expensive :thumbdown: Can you charge that type of cell on a 'normal' lipo charger? any ideas?

I think you can get some humps made up no problem but I'd much prefer lipo (or these new cells)

Can't wait for this car, I'm so excited about it! :)

If your charger has a Li-ion facility it should be ok.

Spoolio
20-05-2009, 08:29 PM
These new fangled LiFe batteries are only 1100mah though, don't sound much although as its new-tech we'll have to reserve judgement until we've seen how they perform. At least they've finally dumped the tamiya-connector although they couldn't have picked a more inappropriate car to use as a launchpad, I mean it's not exactly going to need to flow a lot of current :D.

twisty
20-05-2009, 08:55 PM
It would be ace to see them racing again :D
my SS

Rich D
20-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Would you be the same Twisty who sold me the Blackfoot on TC ? :)

twisty
20-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Would you be the same Twisty who sold me the Blackfoot on TC ? :)

Arrr,that be i :thumbsup:

Spoolio
20-05-2009, 09:54 PM
...a 380 (540 is your brave) ...... I wonder how that would go????

You could be onto something there. If my 380/Lipo powered Hornet/Grasshopper II bitsa was any indication (bearing in mind it was a fair bit lighter than an SRB), I think the word you are looking for is tepid. On t'other hand it would be much more a "scale" speed and would probably suit the car quite well but a dragster it would not be.

Spoolio
20-05-2009, 09:58 PM
These SRB's are awesome models and it's nothing short of fantastic that Tamiya has re-released one. From what I remember back 10 years ago when I was a lot more into collecting - people were day dreaming of finding a stash of SRB's in a hobby shop somewhere. This is even better!

I am now day dreaming that Thunder Tiger will sit up and notice this and think maybe its time to dust off the RC10 tooling and crank out some (slightly improved) goldpan cars. One can but dream eh.

terry.sc
20-05-2009, 10:51 PM
the one that stuck in my mind was the post by acorn who seems really upset and his argument - as I saw it so apologies if I read it wrong - was that he'd spent shedloads of money on stuff that was now in his eyes worthless. I disagree with that and agree with all the posters who tried to bolster him by saying that his stuff is stilll original so is effectively the more "pure" version etc etc. Yeah that's the same post I read - I just felt that some people are in the hobby for the wrong reasons.
Yeah, but one persons posts gave a whole load of idiots a reason to post a load of rubbish about other collectors crying about it, while nothing could be further from the truth. They are the same idiots who send hate mail to complaining about big collectors having lots of kits which is why there are a lot of people who won't put their collections on the site. :thumbdown: I don't get much grief because the ones I do put on are the 'before restoration' shots - and of course I can ban them:lol: The idiots don't understand most of us (except Acorn!) are happy it's cheaper to expand our collection now and of course virtually nothing on the rerelease can be passed off as original:thumbsup:

terry.sc
20-05-2009, 11:10 PM
The real question is when and where can you get a
hump pack lipo from?:lol:

Lipo and a 380 (540 is your brave) ...... I wonder how that would go????Any soft pack lipo should do, after all it will be inside a hard plastic case - along with the rest of the radio :lol:

A 380? blimey that would manage walking pace. I'm already running a 20 turn in my original Scorcher runner and need more speed. BTW need a new front knuckle for mine as I snapped it landing off a jump last time out :blush:

They were meant to have fun with :thumbsup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SUmd4t6KXE

jimmy
20-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Anyone who gets heated on either side should be laughed at and told it's TOYS that's all!:D

Good video! Scorcher must be next surely! :) All those bodies I restored and blitzer shells I bought - can't wait to get a brand new one! lol
Whats the best way to get decent suspension movement without making it look too non-standard? as far as I remember the springs are really hard especially at the rear. I guess there's a chance the new SRB's might be OK but looking at the video from Shizuoka they still look to have basically no suspension movement! :lol:
Can you pre-bend the springs? or is there a better way?

One of the cars on your video looked to have coil overs - and the suspension on that was moving nicely from what I could see.

terry.sc
20-05-2009, 11:22 PM
These new fangled LiFe batteries are only 1100mah though, don't sound much although as its new-tech we'll have to reserve judgement until we've seen how they perform. At least they've finally dumped the tamiya-connector although they couldn't have picked a more inappropriate car to use as a launchpad, I mean it's not exactly going to need to flow a lot of current :D.Unfortunately they still use a Tamiya connector on the ESC, Tamiya supply a Deans to Tamiya adaptor :lol:.

Tamiya have been selling Li-Fe batteries since January with a 2200mah pack http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/55102lfbattery/index.htm and they work out around 50-60 for the battery pack. Considering Tamiyas main market (bashers, kids) I can see why they avoided LiPo and went for LiFe instead.

jimmy
20-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Heres my old Rider that I sold a couple of years back (very sad day)

http://www.oople.com/rc/vintagerc/roughnew05.jpg

http://www.oople.com/rc/vintagerc/roughnew03.jpg

http://www.oople.com/rc/vintagerc/rough02.jpg

blitzboy
20-05-2009, 11:54 PM
now thats what i call propper rc man wooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwww

sad day indead jimmy id have shot myself if id sold that man :(

twisty
21-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Thats a beut Jimmy,i bet it doesn`t look that good anymore :drool:
At least soon you will be able to build a new one :thumbsup:

quincey
22-05-2009, 03:15 PM
we've got some coming to our little shop,so if you want one get your name down!!.
eamodels.co.uk

jimmy
22-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Any idea when they'll be available quincey?
I want to review one of these badboys - not sure who'd read it but I think it'd be fun :thumbsup:

Mash Potato
22-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Any idea when they'll be available quincey?
I want to review one of these badboys - not sure who'd read it but I think it'd be fun :thumbsup:

Yes and the all important how much will they be, even a ball park figure would help?

I'll be reading the review Jimmy, Rough riders are proper retro cool.

twisty
22-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I think the expected release is end of August,it`s going to be over 200 but probably under 300 as a totall guess.

22-05-2009, 04:21 PM
wrong thread, post deleted....

twisty
22-05-2009, 04:30 PM
I am hoping they will be under 200 :thumbsup:

MK Racing
22-05-2009, 04:56 PM
I got an email today from the Hobby Co with the cost price, expect the street price to be between 270 - 300, expected UK release Mid July.

Spoolio
22-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Lets run an oOple sweepstake on it :lol:.

I reckon a Hong Kong "street price" of 175, and a UK price nearer to the "official" expected Japanese price (34,500 yen weren't it) of 230 so lets say 245 seeing as sanctioned imported stuff seems to work out at a 1:1 dollar ratio plus a bit extra where Tamiya is concerned.

But then again I could be miles out - I hope so as I'd really like 2 of these.

Spoolio
22-05-2009, 05:01 PM
I got an email today from the Hobby Co with the cost price, expect the street price to be between 270 - 300, expected UK release Mid July.

Expect sales not to be particularly stratospheric then :thumbdown:, even though its a nice thing to have realistically it'll probably only get driven once so that's a lot of dosh. Hell, I'm still having one (but not 2 at that price).

jimmy
22-05-2009, 07:32 PM
yeah I'd have a couple if they were cheaper but there's no real way I can afford or justify more than one at that sorta cash.

Mash Potato
23-05-2009, 08:47 AM

Holy cow, more than I thought.