PDA

View Full Version : D4, what breaks?

Si Coe
18-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Ok, just won myself a nice D4 off Ebay but given my car wrecking skills I suspect I'll be needing some spares. So what tends to break? I'm assuming front a-arms like most cars......

mark christopher
18-05-2009, 05:55 PM
front shock tower and gearbox top

jim76
18-05-2009, 07:29 PM
yes, front tower and mount as Mark says. Also get yourself a spare set of diff gears as the crown gears sometimes go.
Getting the worlds slipper and setting it correctly will help with that. Hopefully your car came with the worlds slipper as the original is pretty hard to adjust.

mpg200
18-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Rear hub carrieres go, Ive been advised to get some alloy ones (but still not broken my plastic ones) Front wishbones give up if you repeatedly hit a wall!!:( (I found this out on saturday) took the car home in bits.... Muppetry strikes again...

Si Coe
18-05-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm picking the car up tomorrow hopefully, so I'll find out what its got then, but since I only paid £90 I doubt its hopped up much.

Is the problem with the standard slipper just that its fiddly - because I can live with that.

I take it the WCE shock towers are much better.

jim76
18-05-2009, 10:19 PM
the original slipper is fiddly, you can;t adjust it in the car, you have to take it out which is a pain.

the WCE shock towers are an improvement as they have more material around the screws. they were a rolling replacement for the old ones so the car may have them if the previous owner replaced a broken one at some point.

quincey
18-05-2009, 10:20 PM
front gearbox tops,front shock towers,front arms unless you've bought the wce ones,front shock shafts if you are unlucky enough to hit stuff with the shocks eg plastic guttering,rear hubs replace with alloy ones asap,and gears is all ive bust on mine. other than that its a solid reliable car

jim76
18-05-2009, 10:24 PM
never done a rear hub myself, or seen another brake. not sure the alloy ones are worth the extra expense as if the collision is bad enough to break a kit one then it would more than likely shear a ball stud or something in the alloy ones too.

Ashley
19-05-2009, 10:24 AM
will d4 WCE wishbones fit the Ae b44:confused:

Bullet69
08-06-2009, 09:10 AM
I hit another car in the side and destroyed a front shock housing.It pulled theORing holder out of the bottom of it.
Cheap fix $14.95 AUD and it is as good as new.:thumbsup: