PDA

View Full Version : Mobile broadband for use abroad

Lee
19-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Is there one thats better/cheaper than others?

_sleigh_
19-05-2009, 11:30 AM
I need to check it out further, but I saw an advert for Vodafone last night saying they are dropping all extra charges for roaming.

Not sure if it cover their 3G broadband offerings.

Lee
19-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Yeah i saw that for texts etc but as you say im not sure about 3g

_sleigh_
19-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Boooooo. Just read the T&C's on the Vodafone Business site and in very fine print is says "Data usage is excluded"

The no roaming charge is only for a limited period only, but I suspect if it's successful then it may continue.

You could always get yourself a USB 3G modem off eBay, then unlock it to all networks. You just need a local PAYG sim from the country you're in and hey presto, cheap 3G BB..

I'd probably suggest a Huawei E220 modem. THey're the type Vodafone, "3" and others usually ship to customers and there are loads of unlocked firmwares on t'internet.

Lee
19-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Nice one Xfactory brother :thumbsup:

I don't know a great deal about this technology malarky :D

mich-blitz
19-05-2009, 11:48 AM
hey mate i am on mobile brodband now and its 1.3g amazingly fast

i can go enywere alwas conected

Lee
19-05-2009, 11:53 AM
i can go enywere alwas conected

including Monaco?

mark christopher
19-05-2009, 12:55 PM
if i have a 3g function on my lap top, what do i need to get online???

Southwell
19-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Apparently Apple are going to allow 'tethering' on their mobiles so im guessing O2 will be allowing it shortly, or have a bolt on so you can use it. I tested it on my mates iphone and it's much, much quicker than any mobile BB i have used.

Lee
19-05-2009, 01:45 PM
how do we do this Ian, i have the mac and iphone.

O2 want £15 a month and then £50 for 50mb for abroad useage :o

mich-blitz
19-05-2009, 01:48 PM
yer i get 15gb a month for £15 a month and a free dongle adapter:thumbsup:

very cheap

go 3G

mike

Southwell
19-05-2009, 01:50 PM
how do we do this Ian, i have the mac and iphone.

O2 want £15 a month and then £50 for 50mb for abroad useage :o

You cant 'yet' unless you jailbreak your phone. I'd wait for the official release. All you are really doing is turning the phone into an access point, like at home, then you connect your laptop to it.

It looks a bit different to when i did it on Windows: http://www.modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_Tether_the_iPhone_3G

i4n
19-05-2009, 02:55 PM
yer i get 15gb a month for £15 a month and a free dongle adapter:thumbsup:

very cheap

go 3G

mike

Mike,

Lee wants to take it abroad as is after a "roaming" package. When I was on Orange it was something like £10 per Mb for roaming data charges :woot: , the same as Lee has been quoted. When you start roaming on data, the prices go through the roof.

In the UK there are loads of good deals but as _sleigh_ points out, the cheapest way to do it will be to get an unlocked modem and use a local PAYG sim card.

Ian

purpletimbo
21-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Not sure about the others, but my £7.50 for 5Gb with 3 has a tit for tat arrangement with some countries, so my data usage is free.
It is a really odd list, not much in Europe but does cover Australia:eh?:

"If you visit another country where we have a 3 sister network, you can use your price plan allowance to call and text home. It’s called 3 Like Home and when you run out of your allowance, you pay UK rates. So if you’re off to Australia, Austria, Denmark, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy or Sweden, you’re in luck. "
Ouch for Monaco £6 per Gb mobile data:o