PDA

View Full Version : Moulding Lead

Lee
19-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Right, i want to mould some lead into the shape of the cell slots in the X6, what i want to know is, is there any way i can do this without melting the chassis, im thinking about using some tin foil over the slots so i still get the shape but it wont mark the chassis, i would only pour it in bit by bit so there is less heat.

Anyone had any experience?

bodgit
19-05-2009, 09:53 PM
try making a plaster of paris mould of the battery slots first then imprint it in sand and pour the lead in the sand

bigred5765
19-05-2009, 10:03 PM
i use plastercine and pour it in that,

Lee
19-05-2009, 10:11 PM
I imagine it sets pretty quick.

Carl, do you press the plastecine into sand or something to make the indentation?

Si Coe
19-05-2009, 10:24 PM
You don't actually have to melt the lead. Pure enough lead is pretty soft stuff, which is why it gets used for roofing etc, you can bend it to shape.

The point is that warm (but not molten) lead is about as pliable as plasticene so you should easily be able to squash it into the cell slots.

bigred5765
19-05-2009, 10:28 PM
I imagine it sets pretty quick.

Carl, do you press the plastecine into sand or something to make the indentation?

press plastercine into chassis so it gets the shape you wont, freeze it then use it to make a female mould of it with more plastercine, what ever you do dont pour lead near water or wet plastercine it can react badly

Lee
19-05-2009, 10:28 PM
i have tyre balancing weights for now, they are not very pliable at the minute as they are little lumps :(

Lee
19-05-2009, 10:29 PM
press plastercine into chassis so it gets the shape you wont, freeze it then use it to make a female mould of it with more plastercine, what ever you do dont pour lead near water or wet plastercine it can react badly

Good thinking batman!!:thumbsup:

bald eagle
19-05-2009, 10:30 PM
My bro used to melt lead in an old tin can on a fire to make leqad weights for fishing... I have had this sort of idea to melt the lead and place it in the bulkhead/front end of the x6. never got around to asking if it would melt the plastic first though..lol... top of the class Lee-mag!!!!:D

Lee
19-05-2009, 10:32 PM
My bro used to melt lead in an old tin can on a fire to make leqad weights for fishing... I have had this sort of idea to melt the lead and place it in the bulkhead/front end of the x6. never got around to asking if it would melt the plastic first though..lol... top of the class Lee-mag!!!!:D

I'm only asking because its Steve's chassis :lol:

bald eagle
19-05-2009, 10:37 PM
now if that were me, i wouldnt have asked.....LMAO!!!!!:thumbsup::lol:

stegger
19-05-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm only asking because its Steve's chassis :lol:

FARRER NOOOOOO!!!!!!!:o:o:o

bald eagle
19-05-2009, 11:20 PM
LMAO...... DO IT >>>!!!!!!!:lol:

stegger
19-05-2009, 11:22 PM
I haven't even payed kecky for it yet :lol::lol:

Lee
19-05-2009, 11:36 PM
FARRER NOOOOOO!!!!!!!:o:o:o

Do not fret my friend, I'm going to make a cast with some play doh:)

dave g
20-05-2009, 07:56 AM
im pretty sure lead gives off some nasty toxins when melted so dont breathe the vapours in.

as said above,why not get some lead sheeting from a plumbers/building suppliers,it bends like soft toffee so easy enough to get the shape you want,just put it in a bowl of boiling water for a minute.

rcdunk
20-05-2009, 08:09 AM
bald one. ask winston bet he has done it probabley with fully molten lead stright into the chassis I seam to remember him saying he had melted lead into his xxx front

blue_pinky
20-05-2009, 08:09 AM
I thought about doing this to begin with, but instead I've used thin roofing lead in the battery slots, cut into the right sized little rectangles so they fit in closely, they work out as 16-19g blocks, and you can get up to 10 blocks in in total if you really wanted (in the central slots you can fit 2 layers).

Battery holds them all in place nicely, or use small sponge pads to hold loose ones/single layer ones in when needed.

Works nicely for me as it means I can take them in and out and move them around, 1 by 1 to get the right balance adjustment on the car...really quick and easy, and no messing around with hot/molten lead!

bald eagle
20-05-2009, 08:44 AM
bald one. ask winston bet he has done it probabley with fully molten lead stright into the chassis I seam to remember him saying he had melted lead into his xxx front

LOL>. winston...! only winny would do such a thing... bom barra bom!:woot:

Ben Turner
20-05-2009, 08:49 AM
I poured molten lead into the moulding webbing of a TC3 chassis a few years ago, worked really well. Only did a little bit at a time tho stop the chassis getting too hot and tweaking. I would give it a go a small bit at a time, just making sure the chassis is kept cool. Its worth noting that leads melting point is quite low, and doesnt need to be made stupidly hot to melt it, so if your gonna have a go only heat it enough to just melt and not boil etc. Might have a go doing on my B4 if i could be bothered...... LOL

If you dont fancy using molten lead though I think ull be suprised how easy lead can be beaten into shape, just use a bit of wood and a hammer/mallet, maybe a piece of wood rounded like a cell would be a good idea??

Ben

Lee
20-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Well the castings are now in the freezer, i just hope it works :lol:

rcdunk
20-05-2009, 09:46 AM
LOL>. winston...! only winny would do such a thing... bom barra bom!:woot:

the man is a legend winston he has one problem and that is the in ability for his trousers to stay around his waist I have even heard him get a mention from suzanne at a national rallycross meeting on the tannoy to pull his pants up lol:woot:

DaSloth
20-05-2009, 11:04 AM
i use stuff called Kryston Heavy Metal Extra. Its tungsten weight as a putty and the warmer it is the more plyable it is, but once you put some cold water on it, it goes hard.

I've been using it in my TC and its been sold as a rock, which i was suprised about!:woot:

Link: Kryston Heavy Metal Extra (http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5354)(admins please remove if this link isnt allowed)

bigred5765
20-05-2009, 11:16 AM
you can also use rig putty, thats available from any good fishing tackle shop, but it isn't quiet as heavy,