PDA

View Full Version : Wet Running

DaveG28
20-05-2009, 10:20 AM
How wet is it safe to run electric 8th in?

I'm using the losi so my receiver is in a radio box, but obviously the esc and motor are still out in the open!? Does anyone know how water resistant they are? Is it like 1/10th?

electric
20-05-2009, 03:40 PM
How wet is it safe to run electric 8th in?

I'm using the losi so my receiver is in a radio box, but obviously the esc and motor are still out in the open!? Does anyone know how water resistant they are? Is it like 1/10th?
i wouldn't reccomend running in the wet because if a drop of water is to get where it shouldn't be it would be quite costly
you could try sealing the motor and esc but it will never be 100% safe :(

Marvin
20-05-2009, 04:51 PM
It's much the same as 1/10 in that water sealing will be needed in order to run in the wet. I have to admit, this is the biggest downside of electric. Though, with off-road, unless it is raining at the time, or there is standing water, you shouldn't have any problems running it anyway, perhaps a good idea would be to fit lexan shields in front of the ESC and motor, this will stop the worst mud and stuff from being flung in, but still allows airflow. Even so, it is not ideal.

DaveG28
20-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Yeah with 10th I just kill the airflow, might not be a good idea with this!

Marvin
20-05-2009, 06:10 PM
No, airflow is pretty important really in the 1/8 BL. Got to watch those temperatures...

JJ The Boat Wizzard
09-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Any1 ever thought of putting the spedo in a airtight box like a small food box and then put 2 holes with 2 fans one at ether end for the air flow?? am i right in thinking that the motor should be alright if its non sensored??

jonny123
09-06-2009, 02:13 PM
In 1/10 Tc we put our esc's in water tight box's so no water at all can get in there. But yes you need a fan in there really with a few small holes to let fresh air in.

Regards to motors u just seal up both the endplates and put loads of sealent/blu-tack around the sensor lead plug on the motor.

Yes, non sensored motors are alot more reliable in the wet as... in sensored motors the main thing is to make sure the sensors dont get wet. But if its sensorless u shouldnt have a problem.:D

Dagger Thrasher
16-06-2009, 12:11 PM
What ESC are you running? If you're using an MMM, then don't worry too much about it as it's splash-proof (has a conformal coating over all the innards). Castle have said themselves that's it's perfectly safe to run it in wet conditions, but just don't submerge it. If you're running another ESC...well, you'd need to find out.

Your motor should also be fine if it's got a sealed can, as there's basically nowhere for water to get in. Even if water did get in, then the motor would still run absolutely fine (you can even run a BL motor submerged, though it's highly discouraged); you just don't want water in there all the time, as it's not good for the rotor/bearings. If you are running an open-can motor in the wet, make sure it's dried out after each race or even better, try and close up the holes. It'll make little difference to temps.

IMO, just keep a close eye on your batteries' balance taps and battery connections. The balance taps have a number of close-together contacts which could cause problems if they were shorted out by water, so just tape them over or whatever, and you should be fine. :)

Marvin
16-06-2009, 04:40 PM
That's some sound advice there Dagger Thrasher. If it was you, I liked your Havoc build on RCM. If it wasn't you, I still liked it anyway :D.

Dagger Thrasher
17-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Yep, that was me. Cheers man. :)