PDA

View Full Version : Shaft driven X-5

raglandp
25-05-2009, 09:18 PM
i have a X-factory x-5 that i am interested in converting to a shaft driven car, my plan was to custom fabricate front and rear bulkheads/pivot blocks that i could mount associated b44 drivetrain onto. i would clear the gears from the belt tunnel and notch a section out to place the b44 center motor mount with the shafts running through the tunnel.The idea is basicly to put the layout of a b44, including the saddle pack, onto an x-5 chassis. I was curious of peoples thoughts about this?
thanks

Garry Driffill
25-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Id of thought it would be very hard to do this mate, Front and rear ends are wayy to complicated to modify to take geared diffs id of thought?

Chrislong
25-05-2009, 09:44 PM
You need a flat chassis, so if you were to grind out all the X-5 stuff to create the room you need, you will end up with a weak, flexible and brittle flat pan to start with, and the front end would still be impossible to flatten due to the complexities of it not being 1 piece.

What id suggest, is start with something that has a flat chassis and adapt it backwards.

Soooo.. start with a B44 completely, and then modify the front inboard hinge pin mounting points to match XX4/X-5 positions, then fit Losi wishbones and stuff, but B44 driveshafts (to match to the diff), then fabricate a CF tower to the B44 mounting to match that of the XX4 positions, same with camber link positions.

For the rear you may be able to get the XX4 tower on with some modifications/strengthening, and same with the inboard hinge pin blocks. But at the minimum then fabricate blocks to match geometry, mount to them the XX4/X-5 rear wishbones and so on, but with B44 driveshafts again. Then fabricate a new rear tower again to match XX4/X-5 mounting positions.

With what I have suggested, what you end up with may end up looking a lot like a B44 still, but running many Losi parts on each of the 4 corners. The thing is though that the CF towers and stuff will be stronger and probably cheaper/easier to source than the XX4 ones which are more brittle. You'll also be able to run B44 shell.

If there was a slider between B44...........X-5 I think I have just moved it a few notches closer to the B44 just purely because of do-ability with your ideas.

Your plan: B44.................................*........X-5
My suggested plan: B44..........*...............................X-5

The other thing to think about, is to move the motor further back, to compensate for the loss of weight there with the use of Nimhs, Perhaps even something much like the pre Worlds BJ4. :confused:

Lee
25-05-2009, 09:57 PM
The other thing to think about, is to move the motor further back, to compensate for the loss of weight there with the use of Nimhs, Perhaps even something much like the pre Worlds BJ4. :confused:

Totally!!

raglandp
25-05-2009, 10:00 PM
would it be possible to create a sub-chassis like the b44 to strengthen the chassis, making up for the lack of belt tunnel?

Chrislong
25-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Although I meant Lipo, you know.... Nimhs to Lipo = 100g lighter (depends on which saddles you use). Im tired, excuse me, im conusing myself.

But, if the motor was at the back, stick pack down one side etc, your unlimited with your choice of cells :thumbsup:

Put all the heavy stuff further back, rear mounted rear shocks, and you should be getting close to the weight distribution of the X-5/XX4 which is a significant reason why they handle so damn well!!!! :thumbsup:

Chrislong
25-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Infact, if you could get a None-Worlds BJ4, take all 4 corners off a functioning chassis and transmission, swap them for Losi corners completely, but put the B44/Bj4 driveshafts on & rear mount the rear shocks..... doing this alone I bet it'd be pretty good presuming the inboard hinge pins don't need any work (which they may)

Then just asses camber link positions to match XX4, and you may get away with leaving the towers as std BJ4/B44 or AC towers. Should be easy! :woot:

Chrislong
25-05-2009, 10:10 PM
would it be possible to create a sub-chassis like the b44 to strengthen the chassis, making up for the lack of belt tunnel?

Yes, until you got to the front. The white front bulkhead will make it impossible to do this as it sweeps up, its an additional piece (adding lumps in the chassis where it mounts) and you need the bulkhead to mount hingepins. You may have your work cut out in fabricating something different to replicate the hinge pin positions while allowing the chassis to remain flat & 1 piece.

raglandp
25-05-2009, 10:18 PM
so, the hardest part of the project would be making a custom front bulkhead, and that may make the project impossible?

Chrislong
26-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Nothing is impossible with determination and talent. It'd be great if you did manage to do this.

But my idea would be easier and I reckon the result will be the same. I was just trying to find an easier way to make the idea mo do-able as I reckon its a great idea. :thumbsup:

mattym0310
26-05-2009, 07:04 PM
you could do Chris' idea in a similar way to what shimmy has done to Arslaan Butt's b44 except, change the geometry of the shock towers, move the weight around on the chassis and incorporate the wishbones etc. off an x5 or xx4??
There are some pics and info on what shimmy has done to the car on Jimmy's worksop indoor finals thread here (http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/nif2008/index.html)

mattym0310
26-05-2009, 07:06 PM
I am told that the towers and topdecks from the above are available from Fiber Lyte upon request :)